Your effects

schenkadere

Obey my dog!
Apr 24, 2005
NY
www.soundclick.com
Interested in what type of pedals or multi effects units everyone uses.

Here's mine:

Guitars: Jackson Soloist Archtop w/ Duncans & Washburn A20 w/ Dimarzios>

DOD FX80-B Compressor>TC Electronic Vintage Tube Primer>Carvin XV112 amp

In my effects loop is a DOD FX64 Ice Box Stereo Chorus>Ibanez DDL10 Digital Delay II

All powered with a Godlyke Power-All

Pretty simple...I'm a simple guy. My best setup and tone ever. Took me a few years and much ebay buying and selling to really find the right stuff for the right price, but I'm quite satisfied now.

Many people put down the old DOD stuff and I don't know why. Their effects tend to be more subtle which I prefer. I find them well built and quiet. To each his own, I guess

TBH I'm not really serious about my tone since I'm more into soundtrack scoring right now.

I just have a Marshall MG30DFX and a few toys such as a DOD250 overdrive, an FX80 compressor (yeah DOD's are good btw), a Boss NS2 Noise suppressor, and an Ibanez Tube screamer...

That amp is just for occasional gigging with friends or whatever, but for recording I use mainly software (usually Guitar Rig 3, Waves effects, and guitar cabinet impulses. It's different every time.)
Here is a random tone sample: http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/9/15/2099145/mix2.mp3
I use dozens of different tones though, mainly for fun. All my interest and money is going into midi scoring and sample libraries these days.

My primary guitar is an Ibanez RG520QS stripped and naked finish. That goes into an ADA MP-1 and a TCE G-Major. Both are powered through a Chandler power distributor. I then push that into the power amp stage of an older Crate G212. I replaced the speaker with 12" Celestions, but I can't recall the model number.

Pretty simple, really. I need more time to play with the midi control though.

lol, simple?

I use a Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah, once in a while. I also have a Boss GT-6. I'm a fan of your usual delay, reverb, and EQ, and not much else. I also have a Tubescreamer but thats more for amp than effect. That's all I use.

well...I've dumped off some pedals so all I have now are my ts-9, the BB Preamp, an MXR 10-band eq, and a boss CE-5. The CE-5 is the next to go. In the mean time I'm putting together a new pedal board...but I'm waiting until I can afford two or three of the new pedals AND the board before I start making the actual purchases. I'm going with the following:

-RMC Wizard Wah
-Little Alligator Volume pedal (possibly an ernie ball instead....i like the taper of the morley more when I first a-b'd them a while back, but I've been reading some negative reviews and I want to try them both again)
-Korg Pitchblack pedal tuner
-Analogman Mini Chorus
-Some sort of compressor...probably keeley, but I might just grab an MXR to tide me over and get the keeley down the road
-Delay pedal...really on the fence on which one to go with though
-possibly a Boss )C-2, a flanger, and a phaser...but these are super low on the priority list right now as I rarely use them....but I would still very much like to have them in the rig.

the other thing I'm still undecided on is whether to put this all on a board or to get a GCX or Patchmate with a footcontroll and keep it all in a rack.

lol, simple?

I use a Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah, once in a while. I also have a Boss GT-6. I'm a fan of your usual delay, reverb, and EQ, and not much else. I also have a Tubescreamer but thats more for amp than effect. That's all I use.

Yeah, it's simple...just 4 pedals. the usual modulation effects...the subtle compression is great for clean chording and adding some lead sustain, and the TC pedal is really just a gain enhancement...I mainly use the clean boost side to push my preamp...and the TS808 side basically gives me a third crunch channel. Pretty basic stuff...nuttin' fancy.

well...I've dumped off some pedals so all I have now are my ts-9, the BB Preamp, an MXR 10-band eq, and a boss CE-5. The CE-5 is the next to go. In the mean time I'm putting together a new pedal board...but I'm waiting until I can afford two or three of the new pedals AND the board before I start making the actual purchases. I'm going with the following:

-RMC Wizard Wah
-Little Alligator Volume pedal (possibly an ernie ball instead....i like the taper of the morley more when I first a-b'd them a while back, but I've been reading some negative reviews and I want to try them both again)
-Korg Pitchblack pedal tuner
-Analogman Mini Chorus
-Some sort of compressor...probably keeley, but I might just grab an MXR to tide me over and get the keeley down the road
-Delay pedal...really on the fence on which one to go with though
-possibly a Boss )C-2, a flanger, and a phaser...but these are super low on the priority list right now as I rarely use them....but I would still very much like to have them in the rig.

the other thing I'm still undecided on is whether to put this all on a board or to get a GCX or Patchmate with a footcontroll and keep it all in a rack.

I've been eyeing up some volume pedals as well...considering the Jim Dunlop High Gain.

Delays are tough, but I really dig the 80's Ibanez stuff manufactured by Maxon. Digital with an analog feel.

I like the compressor I have because it's subtle, quiet and really doesn't mess with your tone at all. The DOD FX80-B is a real sleeper...great bang for the buck.

I was actually being sarcastic, so this time I'll spell it out: I am under the impression that my rig is simpler. Not knocking the rack junkies, it's just not my thing.

In my JCM800 days I built a pedalboard with: Ross (not Boss) 10 band GE,Bad Horsie (I), original tube screamer (no mods), a Boss BF-2 flanger, CE2 (Chorus Ensemble), MXR Phase 45, Boss analog delay, and a DOD noisegate, and a Boss volume....

I had a period of time (that I shall return to!) where I was a minimalist with my Mesa/Boogie MKIV where all I used was the wah, flanger, chorus, & delay. Didn't need any more gain or distortion, and that amp was THE quietest (unwanted noise-wise)I ever played through. Just LOVED the tone even plugging straight in....

I currently have a Line6 Flextone II & longboard. The Flextones are like a rack in a box, so I have more effects available than I will ever use, from flange,chrous,delay, leslie, to compressor. For that amp, I can spend HOURS creating patches, and it's still fun. As much as I've enjoyed the modeling amp, I can't wait to return to REAL tubes....

I was actually being sarcastic, so this time I'll spell it out: I am under the impression that my rig is simpler. Not knocking the rack junkies, it's just not my thing.

Always a pleasure, Kenneth. 4 standard pedals vs. a full blown multi effects, COSM modeling unit...who's the rack junkie?

I acknowledged your sarcasm in my response...yeah, pretty simple...I find a chorus essential...others may not.

In my JCM800 days I built a pedalboard with: Ross (not Boss) 10 band GE,Bad Horsie (I), original tube screamer (no mods), a Boss BF-2 flanger, CE2 (Chorus Ensemble), MXR Phase 45, Boss analog delay, and a DOD noisegate, and a Boss volume....

I had a period of time (that I shall return to!) where I was a minimalist with my Mesa/Boogie MKIV where all I used was the wah, flanger, chorus, & delay. Didn't need any more gain or distortion, and that amp was THE quietest (unwanted noise-wise)I ever played through. Just LOVED the tone even plugging straight in....

I currently have a Line6 Flextone II & longboard. The Flextones are like a rack in a box, so I have more effects available than I will ever use, from flange,chrous,delay, leslie, to compressor. For that amp, I can spend HOURS creating patches, and it's still fun. As much as I've enjoyed the modeling amp, I can't wait to return to REAL tubes....

Return to tubes!

Come on dude, don't be a dick. Whatev. I should mention that the GT is only for situations where I can't take my stack. I use it as an amp/tone barebones. I'm not into tons of effects. I hope this isn't offensive.

Come on dude, don't be a dick. Whatev. I should mention that the GT is only for situations where I can't take my stack. I use it as an amp/tone barebones. I'm not into tons of effects. I hope this isn't offensive.

I'm not a dick...I found the "this time I'll spell it out" offensive.

This is supposed to be a musicians' discussion about effects...that's all.

I agree..I'm not into tons of effects either, but much depends on the various styles one plays. Some styles may call for a particular effect. For example, I can't imagine someone playing Pat Metheny tunes without a chorus, and so on.

Eventually, when I can return to having money for gear again....:erk:
For now, the rack-in-a-box is doing ok...

Yeah...it took me a while to afford an all tube combo. I ended up trading a Carvin DC-200 for my Carvin amp. It is so much better to be back to tubes.

Ebay is great...there are so many more affordable options available. One seriously great all tube combo that people often overlook is the Peavey Bravo from the 90's. I see them on eBay going for under 300 bucks...an amazing steal for a seriously solid, 2 channel, made in the USA, high gain amp. If i had the space and extra $$$, I would pick one up for sure!

I don't use effect pedals. I once had a Boss wah but sold it after a month. I just use the amps stuff thats built in. When I get a tube amp I may get a Tube Screamer, Boss GE-7, and Boss NS.

That Peavey Bravo sounds AWESOME!! I want to switch to tube amps, right now I have a half tube amp (voxad30). Its got a decent sound, but I want to upgrade! I'm gonna be looking for it on ebay.

I don't use effect pedals. I once had a Boss wah but sold it after a month. I just use the amps stuff thats built in. When I get a tube amp I may get a Tube Screamer, Boss GE-7, and Boss NS.

That Peavey Bravo sounds AWESOME!! I want to switch to tube amps, right now I have a half tube amp (voxad30). Its got a decent sound, but I want to upgrade! I'm gonna be looking for it on ebay.

It's a great little combo. Check periodically on ebay...they're a steal! Check out the reviews on Harmony Central. Peavey also has some older(90's)... all tube models that can be found there like the Ultra series...they have three channels...available in head or combo.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Peavey/Bravo+112/10/1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Bravo-1x...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:13|39:1|240:1318

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Peavey/Ultra+212/10/1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Ultra-21...286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:13|39:1|240:1318

Also another recommendation for affordable all tube is an 80's or 90's Carvin X100B...I see those going for under $400.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Carvin/X100B/10/1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carvin-x100b-Se...14&_trkparms=72:1240|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

As far as effects go...I'm not much of an effects guy, but I feel there are a few essentials. For me, delay and chorus are the only essentials. The compressor is an extra...I use it for clean chording and for chicken pickin' stuff. I went through quite a few before I found the FX80-B which I love.

Hm.. the Ultra sounds alright but I'm more of a high gain amp guy, and thats why the Bravo appeals to me so much. I just posted an ad on craigslist saying that I wanted to buy one, hope it goes through. And thanks man! I've been wanting to upgrade my amp for a while but I wanted to keep it cheap, keep it tube, and keep it metal!