Your effects

Hm.. the Ultra sounds alright but I'm more of a high gain amp guy, and thats why the Bravo appeals to me so much. I just posted an ad on craigslist saying that I wanted to buy one, hope it goes through. And thanks man! I've been wanting to upgrade my amp for a while but I wanted to keep it cheap, keep it tube, and keep it metal!

Actually, the Ultra's "ultra" channel is definitely high gain and metal for sure. The Ultra offers a lot more power 120 watts vs. the Bravo at 25 watts. Depends what your practice and gig situation is, but I'd actually consider the Ultra an upgrade. Also comes with a better stock speaker and available in combo configurations of 1X12, 2X12 and 4X10...or a head unit. The Bravo could use a speaker upgrade from the stock, but I've seen so many on ebay where it's already been done. The Bravo with an extension speaker cab would probably be plenty for most situations.

Good luck searching! I'll PM you if I see anything.:headbang:

Here's another winner...the Triumph series...3 channel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Triumph-...2452937QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAVEY-TRIUMPH-...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

I'm at the lower end of the budget and talent scale, so I only have a Zoom G2.1u. Admittedly it's capable with crisp and fat sounds as well as drum machine, tuner and pedal. It's pretty easy to bring along too, on my current world tour in my mind.

I'm at the lower end of the budget and talent scale, so I only have a Zoom G2.1u. Admittedly it's capable with crisp and fat sounds as well as drum machine, tuner and pedal. It's pretty easy to bring along too, on my current world tour in my mind.

It's actually a very good unit and amazing for the money. My brother has the bass unit and he loves it.

Currently running:
Ibanez RG321 or SA160 -> Boss GE-7 -> Kustom Defender.

The GE-7 makes an ok overdrive.
I have a MT-2 plugged in, but I haven't switched it on in a while because...

I'm actually getting some decent (preamp) distortion from my amp. Which leads me to think it's broken. I just don't believe I should be able to get as much gain as I am at such low volumes. Perhaps it's because it's all preamp and not power amp distortion... *shrugs* I'm new to tubes and it's pretty damn touchy.

I'm actually getting some decent (preamp) distortion from my amp. Which leads me to think it's broken. I just don't believe I should be able to get as much gain as I am at such low volumes. Perhaps it's because it's all preamp and not power amp distortion... *shrugs* I'm new to tubes and it's pretty damn touchy.

Sounds to me like "broken" is a relative term... :lol:

Sounds to me like "broken" is a relative term... :lol:

You must understand, that until recently, all I got from the amp was clean and very loud (as you'd expect). For it to distort and still be at a reasonable volume seems... unusual. Not that I'm complaining, it does sound pretty damn good.

Then again, I don't think I'd ever tried such an extreme setting. Pre volume is towards max and power is almost nothing. Supposably this amp does some fancy stuff with gain if the volumes a certain way. I had just never gotten it to work before.

so *shrugs* whatever works :p

That's how you would get the amp to distort...crank the pre and then adjust main volume...doesn't seem broken to me, that's how it should operate. I get great distortion at low volumes. That Kustom Defender actually seems like a nice little amp. Check out the Guitar World review video on this link...it explains a lot about the amp.

That's how you would get the amp to distort...crank the pre and then adjust main volume...doesn't seem broken to me, that's how it should operate. I get great distortion at low volumes. That Kustom Defender actually seems like a nice little amp. Check out the Guitar World review video on this link...it explains a lot about the amp.

Mmmhmmm. I think the best way to put it was, I've suddenly gotten it to work "how it should" as opposed to previously where it was just loud and clean, all the way to too loud and only very mildly distorted. So I was just thinking to myself... I must have "broken" it cause now it's working :p Not that I'm complaining, I was just playing around one day and it totally changed it's "character" on me.

I think I might have seen that video already. I think mine is cranked a lot more than their's is in the video if I remember it correctly :p

As for the amp. It's not bad. Too big for what I really need (both in power and size) but seems like an ok platform. Noisy, but I wouldn't know relatively how noisy it is compare to other tube amps. Mine came with EL34's rather than the 6L6's that they supposably typically come with which is nice (imo)

Mmmhmmm. I think the best way to put it was, I've suddenly gotten it to work "how it should" as opposed to previously where it was just loud and clean, all the way to too loud and only very mildly distorted. So I was just thinking to myself... I must have "broken" it cause now it's working :p Not that I'm complaining, I was just playing around one day and it totally changed it's "character" on me.

I think I might have seen that video already. I think mine is cranked a lot more than their's is in the video if I remember it correctly :p

As for the amp. It's not bad. Too big for what I really need (both in power and size) but seems like an ok platform. Noisy, but I wouldn't know relatively how noisy it is compare to other tube amps. Mine came with EL34's rather than the 6L6's that they supposably typically come with which is nice (imo)

Good luck with it!:headbang:

Overdriving the front end and building large plate voltages on the tubes drives the waveform to clipping = distortion through increased harmonic content from odd-numbered harmonics. Something transistors can't quite mimic.