10 Disappointments of 2014

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
List your most disappointing albums of 2014. I realize some may not have 10 so list what you have.

mine:

Exodus - Blood In Blood Out. Big fanfare comeback for Zetro but the album is boring and Zetro sounds amazingly annoying. I actually far prefer his own band Hatriot's album.

Overkill - White Devil Armory. So overrated by the thrash fans it's untrue. Not saying it's bad but it has nothing special about it either. Ironbound remains my fave Overkill album ever. Can you sense I've never actually been a fan of the band lol?

Falconer - Black Moon Rising. I am a huge Falconer fan but this album is disappointing IMO. The songs were just mediocre. It was good but that's not enough for Falconer.

Brainstorm - Firesoul. Another band that I liked a lot a few years ago but since Downburst the albums have been beyond average.

Judas Priest - Some decent tunes but half the album is super boring and the production is unexcusable. Are they all deaf?

Axel Rudi Pell - Into The Storm. By his own very high standards this album is average to say the least. One of the least good recent ARP albums.

Mastodon - Once More Round the Sun. They lost me with this album. I liked The Hunter and this was supposed to be more melodic but the songs were far less interesting to me with no big melodies to speak of.

Vanden Plas - Chronicles of the Immortals - Netherworld (Path 1). Ok this will upset a few but I am by no means a VP fan but I'm open minded and ready to be impressed by a class band like VP. But this album is just too much. Too much theater and drama and not enough actual songs. Great band but just boring song writing IMO of course.

Kenziner - The Lost Horizon. I was expecting so much being a huge fan of their two albums and this comeback had me excited for a while but the lead single was boring and had my alarm bells ringing. The album as a whole whilst competent and well produced didn't have a single song worthy of being on the first two albums and the singer was average as well.

At The Gates - At War With Reality. The first song on the internet was quite good and had me hoping and then I heard the rest. No Slaughter II. Mind you I wasn't expecting it either but this kind of over atmospheric melodic death tends to bore me to tears.

That's ten but while I'm at it here's a few more.

Sonata Arctica - Pariah's Child
Cavalera Conspiracy - Pandemonium
Eldritch - Tasting the Tears
Lordi - Scare Force One

What's funny is that I thought the Exodus, Overkill, Mastodon, and Judas Priest albums were awesome, and were among the best those bands have put out in recent times. I've not been a fan of Dukes, so I thought Zetro was a great change for Exodus vocally. I loved the Priest album, although I do think it's a little long, but when it's good it just smokes. I also think the At the Gates album is very solid, and a worthy comeback for a band that's been dormant in the studio since 1995. Fair point on it just not being your style though.

I agree about the VP. It totally failed to grab me. I'll give it more shots but...eh?

And now I'm going to risk a banhammer to the face...Evergrey - Hymns for the Broken. I was expecting more...Evergrey-ness. I dunno, maybe I have an unfairly high expectation, but this album felt well short of what they've shown to be easily accomplishable in the past.

That said, I have 50 albums from 2014 (and a few more that I need to buy), and only two real gripes (some blind buys didn't pan out, but that's just how that game goes)? Fucking great year.

Overkill - White Devil Armory. So overrated by the thrash fans it's untrue. Not saying it's bad but it has nothing special about it either. Ironbound remains my fave Overkill album ever. Can you sense I've never actually been a fan of the band lol?
I'm not sure I understand your logic on this. You're not a fan of the band and feel the new record is on par with most of their discography? Does that qualifies as a "disappointment"? For the record, WDA is my second favorite Overkill album.

Brainstorm - Firesoul. Another band that I liked a lot a few years ago but since Downburst the albums have been beyond average.
Awesome record. Best of their career.

Mastodon - Once More Round the Sun. They lost me with this album. I liked The Hunter and this was supposed to be more melodic but the songs were far less interesting to me with no big melodies to speak of.
My #3 record of 2014 and my favorite Mastodon record.

Vanden Plas - Chronicles of the Immortals - Netherworld (Path 1). Ok this will upset a few but I am by no means a VP fan...
First, I agree with you on this one. Vanden Plas shit the bed on TSC. Now they're just rolling around in it. Second, you seem to have listed a number of disappointments from bands you're not actually a fan of. I don't quite understand how you can be disappointed by a band you're not a fan of. For example, I don't like the latest Kanye album (I assume), but I wouldn't call it a "disappointment". I expect not to like Kanye's new music, since I don't like Kanye's old music.

At The Gates - At War With Reality. The first song on the internet was quite good and had me hoping and then I heard the rest. No Slaughter II. Mind you I wasn't expecting it either but this kind of over atmospheric melodic death tends to bore me to tears.
My #7 record of 2014.

+1 on this one. What the heck happened on the new one. I warned a friend to stay away. Not close to good.

At first listen, I stopped listening to the new Kontrust and went right back to secondhand wonderland and spun it like 5 more times.

Upon further listens the CD is decent. I think it just doesnt equal or top SHW, so it was a disappointment. I still do think it stands alone on its own, with the right number of listens.

That's the most I've ever disagreed with you.

I agree with the above. TSC is one of my favorite albums of the last several years. VP tends to be up and down for me. I do not like Christ 0 despite near universal praise. I love Far Off Grace, but do not really like Beyond Daylight.

Chronicles of the Immortals is just bad.

Couldn't disagree more on your first 4. Those are all in my Top ten of the year.
Sanctuary's new album was a disappointment, it sounds like just another Nevermore album, which normally would be OK, but I was expecting a return to the Sanctuary sound.
Judas Priest's new album is a good album hampered by lackluster production.

Enchant - The Great Divide

Who could have known the album title was referring to the spread open ass cheeks about to drop this turd full of potted meat and fail. This album is actually beyond the disappointment stage and has directly graduated to insulting. As a fan from their inception, as someone who considers Blueprint to be a top 15 all-time album, as someone who watches their live DVD once a month this could not have been a greater failure in my eyes and to my ears. Lifeless, listless composition void of energy and creativity. Obviously just an opinion but a strong one. Utter crap.

Definitely Mastodon, for me the past 2 albums have sucked. They have gone from being one of the most interesting bands in metal to being one of the most boring.

Personally, I think Devin Townsend's Z2 is a mild disappointment, at least from the Sky Blue disc. Of the Devin Townsend Project CDs, Sky Blue is definitely the least of them. Particularly disappointing after the awesomeness of Epicloud.

Enchant - The Great Divide

Who could have known the album title was referring to the spread open ass cheeks about to drop this turd full of potted meat and fail. This album is actually beyond the disappointment stage and has directly graduated to insulting. As a fan from their inception, as someone who considers Blueprint to be a top 15 all-time album, as someone who watches their live DVD once a month this could not have been a greater failure in my eyes and to my ears. Lifeless, listless composition void of energy and creativity. Obviously just an opinion but a strong one. Utter crap.

I'm not calling it crap yet.....though I've tried to listen to this a few times, I don't get too far into it as it really bores me. I'm glad it's not only me that wasn't too thrilled with the output

In Flames - Siren Charms

Holy shit is this bad. Look up "sellout" in the dictionary and you'll find a picture of this album. Little to no musicianship, lite production, pretty slow overall, not that heavy, it's just really phoned-in and crappy. I've never been more repulsed by an album from a band I like and I felt disgusting for a while just for having listened to it.