10 Disappointments of 2014

Not to be a jerk but you are seriously 10 years too late.
It's not really a disappointment when no one has expected anything but a disappointment from them since RTR.

Except Come Clarity was really good, and gave us hope...false though it turned out to be.

Enchant - The Great Divide

Who could have known the album title was referring to the spread open ass cheeks about to drop this turd full of potted meat and fail ... Utter crap.

I'm sitting here eating dinner as I read this and am laughing my ass off. :lol:

The new Sanctuary is my #2 disc of the year behind Evergrey's masterpiece. The guitar work is excellent and the title track might be the song of the year for me. The last Sanctuary disc was released in 1989 – a quarter century ago – exactly the same amount of time Warrel's vocal chords have aged and stretched. I'm guessing everyone disappointed with their 2014 release is expecting the next Iron Maiden to sound just like Powerslave.

Accept - Blind Rage - i was expecting more....rage i guess? Aside from Stampede and Final Journey the album never really seems to go anywhere. I loved BOTN and Stalingrad but this just didnt grab me at all. I do like "The Curse' but overall not on the level of the last two.
ARP - i can agree with the sentiments here, Not my favorite cd of his. i hope the next one is better but he seems to be in a rut.
Enchant - A boring cd. A shame cause its been so long since the last.

You didn't like the direction of the album and was hoping for more pure metal? Because for what it is, I think it's a killer "modern" hard rock disc. I love the album.

Yeah....I was hoping for something heavier and more aggressive than his Firewind stuff. I guess I should have read reviews for the album, or listened to preview samples first, right? Live and learn. It sounded like Gus wanted to do something in the Adrenaline Mob vein, but left out all the crunch and aggression. It's a shame, cuz I like the players on the album, but the music left me feeling blah.

I don't have to be a fan of the band to find an album disappointing in that case.
When I think of disappointing records, I tend to think of something I had high expectations for, that let me down. If you've found 15 of Overkill's first 16 records mediocre, I'm not sure why you would have any expectations about their 17th record. I can appreciate approaching each album with an open mind. However, at some point, we know who a band is and what to expect from them. I guess we just look at it a bit differently. That's what makes the world go 'round.

I like to try a huge number of albums...
You don't say? :loco:

Opeth - Pale Communion
Despite the fact that I've long since given up on them ever being a metal band again, I'm always hopeful that I'll like the songs. However, Pale Communion is just another boring Opeth record to my ears.

I wouldn't go that far, but I did think it was a nice comeback after their steady decline over the past few Brainstorm albums.
I think it's their most consistent record, and it just feels like the band was more energized on this one then they've been in a long while.

Flying Colors - Second Nature & Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope. I list these together because they have a common problem for me. No, that problem is not Mike Portnoy. I love these bands first albums (two in TA's case) but then the follow-ups have been meh at best. I think the problem with these "super group"/project bands is that there is a creative spark at the beginning that can create amazing music in a short amount of time. After that wears off they are still capable of incredible music, but it is not likely going to emerge in a two week recording cycle. Both these bands would benefit from longer writing sessions, but given the schedules of "super groups" that is not likely to happen.

Funny, but I find both of these albums better than their previous output. The first Flying Colors never grabbed me. Same goes for The Whirlwind.

Personally I have a different view on Supergroups in that they need more than one album to meet their potential. I also think the second Transatlantic album is better than the first for that reason: it feels more like a band effort than Neal Morse song, Neal Morse song, Roine Stolt song, etc.

Funny, but I find both of these albums better than their previous output. The first Flying Colors never grabbed me. Same goes for The Whirlwind.

Yeah, the new Flying Colors was a surprise for me in how GOOD it turned out to be. I was expecting a sophomore slump (maybe pessimistically so), but when I checked it out I sat up and thought, "Whoa, this is damn good!"

H.e.a.t. - Tearing Down The Walls is my #1 disappointment this year. I've caught some crap about this from my melodic rock friends, but I think this effort is overrated. It's not terrible by any means, but not great either. When I listen to this, I feel like 19 Entertainment should be somewhere on the back insert...just sayin'.

~Brian~

H.e.a.t. - Tearing Down The Walls is my #1 disappointment this year. I've caught some crap about this from my melodic rock friends, but I think this effort is overrated. It's not terrible by any means, but not great either. When I listen to this, I feel like 19 Entertainment should be somewhere on the back insert...just sayin'.

~Brian~

It's super-catchy and I still play it all the time.

Accept - Blind Rage probably gets my disappointment of the year. It's a good step or two below their previous two discs. Actually it's two steps below Blood of the Nations, and one step below Stalingrad. Needless to say the band seems to be losing some appeal with each new release.

Ziltoid 2 was a disappointment was well .. I'm referring to the disc with the full narration. Z1 was out of this world good, and had some great tunes. This time out the theatrics overshadow the songs, and in the end none of the tracks really stand out to me.

Vanden Plas - Chronicles of the Immortals was another disappointment. For me they kind of reached their high point with Christ Zero .. Seraphic Clockwork was okay, but it didn't quite get a hold on me like the previous disc. This new one is just boring. I listened to it four or five times and then shelved it.

Britt

Ziltoid 2 was a disappointment was well .. I'm referring to the disc with the full narration. Z1 was out of this world good, and had some great tunes. This time out the theatrics overshadow the songs, and in the end none of the tracks really stand out to me.

I actually think the raw disc in the 3CD version (which is the Ziltoid album without the narration) is better from the standpoint that you can hear the music better.

Accept - Blind Rage probably gets my disappointment of the year. It's a good step or two below their previous two discs. Actually it's two steps below Blood of the Nations, and one step below Stalingrad. Needless to say the band seems to be losing some appeal with each new release.
All in all, I find it an enjoyable release, despite some obvious flaws. Still, I agree with your assessment on the drop in quality from disc to disc.

Vanden Plas - Chronicles of the Immortals was another disappointment. For me they kind of reached their high point with Christ Zero .. Seraphic Clockwork was okay, but it didn't quite get a hold on me like the previous disc. This new one is just boring. I listened to it four or five times and then shelved it.
In hindsight, my criticism of the TSC was a bit harsh. I allowed my disdain for Chronicles, color my perception of Seraphic. Seraphic was merely boring. The new one is a steaming hot mess. And I think the knowledge that they intend to release Part II to Chronicles, before altering their path, makes it all the more frustrating.

All in all, I find it an enjoyable release, despite some obvious flaws. Still, I agree with your assessment on the drop in quality from disc to disc.

I obviously don't agree with you guys. Blind Rage is one of my faves of 2014. I love the fact that there are some "softer" songs (that still rock) and which permits Tornillo to use his "singing" voice more often. For me, the 3 albums since the comeback are all awesome.

Guillaume