2013 Festival Status Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I roadtrip from Chicago with my bro every year. Flew down once and hated it...something awesome about hitting the road with a dufflebag full of metal. We don't hit the road until after work, so we do a stopover somewhere in Kentucky or Tennessee and finish it off to Atlanta in the AM. On Sunday though, it's a straight shot back home. Can't wait to do it in a couple months!!! :kickass:

We don't get going until after work, either. We stop over in southern IL, then get up early and make the last leg of the journey in one fell swoop. We do the same for the return trip, too.

I salute road trippers to Progpower :) In 2006, I drove through the night, 9pm thursday-10am friday morning from Detroit to Atlanta, didn't sleep, and went to the show. Even made it all the way through the end of that superlong Evergrey set. I probably couldn't hack that seven years later, though. haha. Airplane for me.

Yeah, Al and I did the 12hr trek from Marietta to Chicago when we left Pathfinder. It took more like 14 hours due to repeated pitstops, and a stopover in Marion, IL to eat at Don Tequila's.

Do-able, but harsh.

The 12 from here to Atlanta isn't bad. Great scenery once you get out of Indiana. :heh: The SC haul was a LONG day, capped with a FK/Morglbl show, then hanging out at the promoters house ril 4am-ish. Worth every second! :headbang:

I've done the driving too... from CT to Atlanta in close to 15 hours if I'm not mistaken...

3 people... suitcases...PT Cruiser.... Never. Again.

I have a land yacht, so the trip isn't too bad. It seems to go by quickly if you've got friends with you.

This year, though, it might just be me and Met-Al making the drive, since our friends who usually go with us aren't going to be at the W/Th shows, and plan on driving down later.

On the plus side, Al and I can stay with family in Southern IL, saving us the cost of a motel.

Driving isn't so bad if you've got the time, patience, and a reliable vehicle. I've done the driving twice on my own and rode down with other people twice. All from Michigan. One time it was during hurricane Ivan; that made the drive pretty exciting, in a "defying death" kind of way. The last time I drove, I was also moving to Dallas so I had a loaded-up car and headed West on Sunday morning. If you're coming from the North, 75 South is a beautiful drive and makes it very easy to deal with. The leg from ATL -> DAL was less than exciting. So I guess it also depends where you're coming from.

Not so certain how I'm getting there this year, so after 6 years of flying, I'm contemplating another attempt at "the drive," but I am certain that my car wont handle it well. So, who knows, maybe it's time for a train trip :)

You guys are pretty hardcore. I drove in from Baton Rouge last year which is about 530 miles. Google says 8 hours, but that doesn't count my metal foot. I should have company for the trip this go round which should make it that much easier. Driving all the way through Alabama is pretty terribly boring though.

This will be my first year coming from Chicago instead of Los Angeles (moving for college) so ill have a new travel experience. I guess i will see what happens :loco:

This will be my first year coming from Chicago instead of Los Angeles (moving for college) so ill have a new travel experience. I guess i will see what happens :loco:

If you're driving it won't be too bad. Just make sure you have good tunes, good company, a cooler full of drinks (Met-Al and I did green tea for the trek down to Pathfinder) and sandwiches, and a bag full of chips and/or snack bars, and you'll be good to go.

So, my parents are making me choose between college and ProgPower. More specifically, if I go to ProgPower, they cut off my tuition and insurance. I guess I'll be paying for these things myself.

So, my parents are making me choose between college and ProgPower. More specifically, if I go to ProgPower, they cut off my tuition and insurance. I guess I'll be paying for these things myself.

As much as I'd like to see people buy tickets, what the fuck is wrong with you? Go to fucking school. (Though I can't imagine why taking 2 days off of classes = dropping the entire semester).

As much as I'd like to see people buy tickets, what the fuck is wrong with you? Go to fucking school. (Though I can't imagine why taking 2 days off of classes = dropping the entire semester).
It sounds like it's more an issue of parents wanting control than actually having to drop the classes.

If you can afford to pay your own tuition without taking out loans and insurance and get out from under your parents' control, then by all means do so, but don't sacrifice your future over a concert. It's not just about college, it's about having it paid for debt-free. ProgPower is awesome and I'd truly like to see every possible ticket sold, but don't sacrifice a free ride to college over a concert without a firm understanding of what you're doing...student loan debt is a far bigger burden than most people realize at the time.

I'm going to the fest. I've bought all the tickets necessary, including flights. With any luck, my parents will come around on how absolutely ridiculous they're being. But I will NOT miss this opportunity. Two days of school can be made up, the Fest cannot (And I WILL be going to school, even if my parents don't help me).

It sounds like it's more an issue of parents wanting control than actually having to drop the classes.

If you can afford to pay your own tuition without taking out loans and insurance and get out from under your parents' control, then by all means do so, but don't sacrifice your future over a concert. It's not just about college, it's about having it paid for debt-free. ProgPower is awesome and I'd truly like to see every possible ticket sold, but don't sacrifice a free ride to college over a concert without a firm understanding of what you're doing...student loan debt is a far bigger burden than most people realize at the time.

My parents were offering 6,000 for the first year. Out of 17,000 total. I'm not coming out of this debt free in either case.

I'm going to the fest. I've bought all the tickets necessary, including flights. With any luck, my parents will come around on how absolutely ridiculous they're being. But I will NOT miss this opportunity. Two days of school can be made up, the Fest cannot (And I WILL be going to school, even if my parents don't help me).

just be sure to stay in school - as much as we want the fest to sell out, we also want people to take care of their own futures, as well.

and thank you for supporting the fest :)

My parents were offering 6,000 for the first year. Out of 17,000 total. I'm not coming out of this debt free in either case.

just be sure to stay in school - as much as we want the fest to sell out, we also want people to take care of their own futures, as well.

and thank you for supporting the fest :)

$17,000 a year for college, just under 1/2 of what many will make upon graduating if they can find a job at all. GG, American Higher Education system!

I have friends that it took 4-5 years to find a "career" level job after they graduated college with a bachelors in different majors. Now they have student loans to pay off and they are almost 30 still $75K in debt...

I'm about 3 years into a nice college tuition with the band and I wouldn't go back to school... I mean, unless its your thing... for my life nah, you cant learn how to do custom graphics on a motorcycle at college, haha
screw it, go to prog power, don't miss it and enjoy it like it's the last one.

Status
Not open for further replies.