$5 sale at Amazon... (Past and Future PP Bands!)

NVARAS

Jan 22, 2011
Just bought the new Theocracy, Lance King, Haken, Primodial, Lunatic Soul, etc...

And also some older ones like Epica, SX, Redemption, Serenity, Pretty Maids, etc... $5!!!!

Thought I'd spread the word.

This is awesome. NINETEEN of the mp3 cd's on my wishlist are 5 bucks or less. Hopefully it'll last thru Christmas so I can use some amazon gift cards!

And it is such good stuff:

Worlds Torn Asunder [+Digital Booklet] by Warbringer (concert warm-up for Symphony X and Iced Earth in Orlando in March!)
Rebel Mind by Eumeria
Fall From Grace by Borealis
The Magnificent by Magnificent
Heavenly Ecstacy (Limited Edition) by Pagan'S Mind
Show Me How To Live by Royal Hunt
Blood of the Saints by Powerwolf
The Meaning Of I by Voyager
Visions by Haken (I am bummed I missed this in 2011!)
Quarterpast by Mayan (concert warm-up!!!)
My Winter Storm by Tarja
Sounds Of A Playground Fading [+Digital Booklet]by In Flames
ReVamp by ReVamp
Epicon by Globus (not metal, but amazing beautiful music!)
Ravenlord by Mystic Prophecy (another concert warm-up!)
The Ghost You Gave To Me by Three
Tales of the Sands by Myrath
Anubis Gate by Anubis Gate
Lover's End by Moon Safari (not metal, but beautiful!)

Thanks for this tip...I need this kind of stuff every once in awhile. I had never heard of this band before. Amazing!

Here's some other stuff that I may pick up...
Saxon - Call to Arms
Ralf Scheepers - S/T
Leprous - Tall Poppy Syndrome
Europe - Last Look at Eden
Wolf - Legions of Bastards
Jorn - Dio
Stratovarius - Polaris, Elysium

Ah... paying $5 to one website for the exact same thing that's free through various other websites. Instead of paying Amazon $5, why not just download the album for free, then send the band $3... that's undoubtedly a lot more than they're getting from a sale of $5 mp3s from Amazon. I bet in some cases the band is actually seeing no money at all as a result of that $5 Amazon transaction.

Ah... paying $5 to one website for the exact same thing that's free through various other websites. Instead of paying Amazon $5, why not just download the album for free, then send the band $3... that's undoubtedly a lot more than they're getting from a sale of $5 mp3s from Amazon. I bet in some cases the band is actually seeing no money at all as a result of that $5 Amazon transaction.

I'd be OK with that *IF* you actually *DO* send the band the $3 (vs $5 to Amazon).

Unfortunately, that sounds like someone trying to justify why they downloaded it for free via BitTorrent, etc.....but still didn't "send the band $3".

If I'm wrong, then apologies in advance...

Instead of paying Amazon $5, why not just download the album for free, then send the band $3...

This is really helpful... can you send the the addresses of the bands you have sent the $3 in the past year? I will start using your method immediately. I just love it when people come up with these practical and simple solutions to complex problems without breaking any laws in the process. :popcorn:

Ah... paying $5 to one website for the exact same thing that's free through various other websites.

Yeah...following societal norms...LOLOLOL! How quaint! How provincial!

Instead of paying Amazon $5, why not just download the album for free, then send the band $3... that's undoubtedly a lot more than they're getting from a sale of $5 mp3s from Amazon.

Yep, totally. This is why when I want a Big Mac, I run into a McDonald's, grab one without paying anyone there, and then send a dollar to the farmer who raised the cow that provided the beef patties. That's undoubtedly a lot more than he's getting from McDonald's for each sale. Of course, this way the actual vendor doesn't get my money, so they have no way to pay the cook who put the Big Mac together, the man who cleans the bathroom that I used on my way in, the farmer who grew the wheat to make the bun, or any of the other parties who were involved in getting that Big Mac into my stomach. But, whatevs! At least I'm not acting like one of those moronic sheep who still pays at the counter!

I bet in some cases the band is actually seeing no money at all as a result of that $5 Amazon transaction.

According to the WSJ, for Amazon's $3.99 daily deals, these are loss-leaders where Amazon still pays the rights-holder the $7-$8 wholesale price for each sale, and eats the difference. It also mentions that the $5 deals like those in this thread are likely negotiated with the rights-holders, but we still have no idea if that affects the artist's share, or if it's the label eating the difference. Either way, it's something all parties involved have agreed to.

Neil

Nice to see them mentioned here. I've been a fan for the last 2 years and really love their 3 albums. Blomljud is my favorite (Other Half of the Sky is one of my favorite 'epics'), but Lover's End is pretty much just as good. Anxiously awaiting their next cd.

Yeah...following societal norms...LOLOLOL! How quaint! How provincial!

At this point, downloading data for free is pretty normal in society, so this would scarcely be considered a highly unusual or abnormal activity.

Yep, totally. This is why when I want a Big Mac, I run into a McDonald's, grab one without paying anyone there, and then send a dollar to the farmer who raised the cow that provided the beef patties. That's undoubtedly a lot more than he's getting from McDonald's for each sale. Of course, this way the actual vendor doesn't get my money, so they have no way to pay the cook who put the Big Mac together, the man who cleans the bathroom that I used on my way in, the farmer who grew the wheat to make the bun, or any of the other parties who were involved in getting that Big Mac into my stomach. But, whatevs! At least I'm not acting like one of those moronic sheep who still pays at the counter!

This is a rather poor example. A physical product is not analogous to digital music. You don't even have to go as far as big macs... even stealing a physical CD would not be analogous, because you would be stealing an actual product, not just making copies of 1s and 0s. In this thread, we are talking about downloading an album either way, the only potential point of disagreement is where someone downloads it from. Also, when someone wants a big mac, they obviously value the supply chain which brings the physical product to them, and the beef producer himself is not the only player in the creation of this value. Decades ago, something similar was true in the music industry... the record label, manufacturer, distributor, retail outlet, etc, all provided some valuable service to you as the end consumer of music, because they served to deliver into your hands the large black vinyl discs or small silver plastic discs that you needed in order to listen to music. But someone who is on this board, talking about bands they discovered online or from people online, and talking about downloading those albums digitally to begin with, is not exactly getting much value from the various parts of the distribution chain (the way the big mac consumer is), they're only getting value from the people who actually recorded the music.

According to the WSJ, for Amazon's $3.99 daily deals, these are loss-leaders where Amazon still pays the rights-holder the $7-$8 wholesale price for each sale, and eats the difference. It also mentions that the $5 deals like those in this thread are likely negotiated with the rights-holders, but we still have no idea if that affects the artist's share, or if it's the label eating the difference. Either way, it's something all parties involved have agreed to.

Oh, I have no doubt someone, somewhere gets paid at least some small amount. But considering that many independent-label or non-label musicians have told me they haven't made any money from albums, or have sometimes even taken a loss on them, it's tough to figure what part of that $4, $5, $7, or $8 actually gets back to the musician in some cases.

I'd be OK with that *IF* you actually *DO* send the band the $3 (vs $5 to Amazon).

Unfortunately, that sounds like someone trying to justify why they downloaded it for free via BitTorrent, etc.....but still didn't "send the band $3".

If I'm wrong, then apologies in advance...

I don't see how "trying to justify" comes into play here... presumably whether someone downloads it from Amazon or via bittorrent, they're sitting alone at their computer at home clicking on a few onscreen icons either way... there's no one standing there to whom they have to justify anything.

But that's all irrelevant anyway; people who want to download for free are going to, no matter what. It's pretty well established at this point that people can do that if they want to. This thread is clearly not directed at those people. This thread is directed at people who specifically want to pay for something they could potentially get for free. So for the people who specifically want to pay, wouldn't it be better for the band to get a direct payment of $3, than to get a much smaller fraction of a payment from a sale made through Amazon?

This is really helpful... can you send the the addresses of the bands you have sent the $3 in the past year? I will start using your method immediately. I just love it when people come up with these practical and simple solutions to complex problems without breaking any laws in the process. :popcorn:

So to clarify then, we're in agreement on the general principle... the only potential hangup is that many bands themselves don't have a convenient way for people to submit donations, such a paypal link on their website, or something along those lines?