The Return of the "How it Happened" post...PP USA XI

So I was wondering, what band was it that had only been mentioned 4 times on the forum? I'm guessing Oceans of Sadness or Paradox?

Years ago,- and I mean years- one of their sandwiches was left on a table in the mountains ...when we came back to the area a short time later the 'meat' had turned to a runny liquid looking mess. Totally disgusting. Never eaten there since. :yuk:

No need to be alarmed,that was just the special sauce:zombie::zombie::zombie:

Opeth MAYBE, the others....no way in hell :lol::lol:

ZPZ did 2 headlining "tours" prior to the DT tour. Their first was their best, IMO, due to special guests like Bozzio, Brock, & Vai. Larger venues on the first tour, and smaller venues on the 2nd. How well they did is unknown to me, but they had decent crowds here.

"I'm still confused as to how bands like Fates Warning and Crimson Glory (playing exclusive U.S. shows, no less) aren't enough to draw a crowd. Though I was having the time of my life watching these headliners, I was extremely saddened to see that a good portion of the venue was empty for those sets."

Just wanted to add my 2cents on this: I was here for all of friday and left towards the end of Fates Warning... thats only because the next morning I was driving 5 hrs the next day back home and after experiencing friday night i knew that 6hrs of sleep wouldn't be enough to recover.

Years ago,- and I mean years- one of their sandwiches was left on a table in the mountains ...when we came back to the area a short time later the 'meat' had turned to a runny liquid looking mess. Totally disgusting. Never eaten there since. :yuk:

I wasn't kidding. They actually get their "meat" as a soliquid.

So I was wondering, what band was it that had only been mentioned 4 times on the forum? I'm guessing Oceans of Sadness or Paradox?

In the same spirit, I remember a post something like "A sponsor has just changed everything."

Looking back on the bands, any idea what this meant? Was there a different band lined up or something. I know the original post has a few bands mentioned, but I can't quite put two and two together.

As one of those folks who had been in charge of the meat slicer at an Arby's restaurant explained to us, most packaged bulk meat arrives packed in a gelatinous broth inside plastic airtight bags.

This alone sounds like enough to make me vomit. I guess this is what my friend meant when he said he had to "fish out the liquid meat".

In the same spirit, I remember a post something like "A sponsor has just changed everything."

Looking back on the bands, any idea what this meant? Was there a different band lined up or something. I know the original post has a few bands mentioned, but I can't quite put two and two together.

What happens between myself and a sponsor, stays between myself and the sponsor. They made a difference and have the knowledge of knowing it. It's up to them if they wish to share the info.

What happens between myself and a sponsor, stays between myself and the sponsor. They made a difference and have the knowledge of knowing it. It's up to them if they wish to share the info.

I hope this person (or people) does! I want to give them a big hug! :) But if they wish to remain anonymous it's more than okay, and I hope they're happy with internet hugs.

*INTERNET HUGS TO THE SPONSOR(S) THAT CHANGED THINGS!* :kickass: :)

Power sells the event, not prog. The evidence is overwhelming now. After years of chasing the holy grail, I not only book the legends of the prog genre, but I book them for a rare headline performance. If that were not enough, it ends up being an U.S. exclusive for 2009. That still wasn’t enough to draw the prog fans. I stack the roster with some of the most wanted returning bands on the prog side and it didn’t help either.

I love these posts by The Promoter - the behind the scenes, method to the madness, go behind the eye, etc. Always insightful, entertaining, and meaningful. And I for one appreciate it. But I am one of the folks who only attends the event (for various economical as well as personal reasons) when the line-up does something for me. This isn't rocket science, and I'm certainly not a snob of any kind, the least of which a prog snob (although, full disclosure, I *am* a Dr. Pepper soda snob, I'll fuckin' admit that shit right now, MF'ers!) but *FINALLY* snagging the Mighty Fates Warning for the PPX gig with all of the superlatives that Glenn mentioned above definitely made this a *must attend* PP event. And I'll say it straight up - I'm tremendously grateful and pleasantly dumbstruck that Glenn GOT Fates to do their ONLY gig in years at his festival. And it was borderline pristine, too. *boink* So, brother Glenn, don't let the prog snobs get you down, and certainly don't let the power punks in their studded feety pajamas convince you otherwise - there's ALWAYS room for the royalty of the prog metal (or rock) genre.

I absolutely believe you about the financial statistics obviously showing the predominance of attendee's who come from the power metal side of the backyard, but dude, don't underestimate the fact that you *did* get Fates at PPX. And for that, my friend, some us are eternally grateful.

Ok, now back to your regularly scheduled virtual power metal mosh pit discussion, minus any of Paul Stanley's verbal jousting with the offenders (personally, I thought that shit was the power metal cat's pajamas).

I'll expect you might even be able to get Fates out of retirement for PPXX (and maybe even Dream Theater touring for their 25-CD new release as well!). Anyhow, I for one, am eternally gratified by the Fates gig... all the complimentary verbal teabagging not withstanding.

PS: Did I miss a "How it happened" for PP X thread somewhere?

Excellent Glenn....

First off thanks for getting Fates Warning to Progpower! Whatever the cost due to the Powersnobs (haha yet so true)... It was AWESOME!!! (I personally knew a lot of people that came to PPX that usually don't come every year just to see Fates... )

Second, I absolutely dig Oceans of Sadness!!!! Keep bringing these great new bands to the line up! And I am also stoked to hear TYR!!!

And Tarot will rule!

And on the flip side, it is a short week for a lot of people. If you are requesting the entire week off, it's one less day that you have to discuss with your boss. That includes myself. I have a full time job on top of this organized chaos.
That's a noteworthy flip side, though I'd imagine the vast majority of folk are taking off starting Wednesdays.

I have also heard every complaint about the date over the years in regards to school. I honestly do not believe that I will ever be able to satisfy teachers and students with their type of schedules. It's either the start of the year, mid-terms, tests, projects, and the list goes on and on.
Setting aside from teachers and students, university faculty and the like... there are quite a few of us that are parents. When you have a few kids in school, it's tricky enough for both parents and students to settle back into a routine after the summer without mom and/or dad skipping town on day two or three of the new year. There are additional school supplies to buy, there is a ton of paperwork to fill out and things to sign.

I recognize that there plenty of other factors at play when scheduling the fest. I'm not pushing for anything here.. I'm just saying that's one major factor for me, and probably for some others. For me, the timing situation was just unfortunate (and ultimately insurmountable.. missing my first fest since I started at PP II) this year. I'm just hoping I can find a way for XI, and will continue to hope subsequent fests don't land on that first week. And while I'm certainly not in the majority for this audience, I suspect I'm not alone.

Just offering up as an additional perspective.

- Chris

As long as I can still bang my head,Prog Metal will always drive me mad,headbanging is a must at any concert for me.