The annual "This is how it happened" Thread

Sweet write up. The could have beens were awesome, it let's us know what to look for in the future and nice to know that Nightwish will be in the U.S. You do an excellent job putting this on and October is going to rock.:Shedevil:

I am surprised no one has commented on this yet. SOOOOOOO we are getting either Jon Oliva's Pain or, more importantly, Savatage in 2008????

Actually, it kinda sounds like Savatage and Iced Earth for 2008! Of course, I may have misread the whole thing, but dammit a man can dream!

He said Iced Earth would be some day so that's kind of a general. In regard to Savatage or JOP, it kind of sounds like it. Glenn said it's be bad business to book Jon two years straight... Since I don't think he was there last year, that does suggest he's trying for next year.

Last year 3 of 7 regulars in my group came. This year all 7 are already commited and I expect the number to climb to 9. I don't know how fast this will sell out, but I wouldn't recommend anyone oversleep on that Saturday morning.

Actually, because of Glenn's success, and because there aren't really any true headliners we haven't seen before(either at PP or elsewhere in the States), I think the days of fast sellouts are over.

The festival will continue to be a great success, but ticket sales will be much more leisurely than in the past. And as I've pointed out before, some people ate some serious money last year buying up more tickets than they needed and thinking they could sell them if they didn't use them.

The first two days will see 90% of the tickets go and the remaining 10% will sell over the next three months, as those who aren't sure they can go will wait until they are sure. My own job requires me to work during hurricane emergencies, so for me, buying tickets in April always caused me a little bit of heartburn, what with PP being in the heart of hurricane season. I do want to go this year, but I'm probably going to hold off until there are only a few tickets left.

You mentioned a Savatage reunion, so you have me eating out of your hand now! :OMG:

Seriously, you've done a stellar job! I love the part about you throwing up the horns at your cats! :lol: My wife worries about me too.....

One of the reasons I love the fest so much is that Glenn takes the time to explain his process. Be it for the reason of justifing himself or to let others take a sneak peak into the behind the scenes.

Now that I knew there was another whisper of 'Tage, I'm slightly disappointed. BUT am no way complaining about the fest itself. It's like getting a vanilla ice cream cone and later finding out you could have had the rocky road. Sure there's disappointment, but no resentment.

As far as the choices: Communic HELL YES! I cannot wait to see this band! I had made mention to the Chicago fest that if they got this band, I'd fly out for that show.

Freak Kitchen: Although I can't really speak for every one, I don't think any of us really are upset that you asked them to come back. Hands down they had one of the most unexpected sets of the year last year. I cannot wait to see them again. To tell you the truth, this is the ONLY band I have ever heard a song sample of and went out and bought 3 albums based off 30 seconds.

Raintime: I think you fucking hit it with them. I love how they are "heavier" as well. I cannot wait to hear more of their music. I think this will be the blow away band of the year.

The other bands: Well one isn't my cup of tea, but you can't please all the people all the time. That's just when I'll go and get something to drink. But I can't wait to see what the other bands bring so I can take a listen and hope to be blown away. I don't really know much about the other bands beside a song or two, but so far I cannot wait for this fest!

-Metal

If THAT happened in the same year, I would fuckin' die before I ever got to Atlanta!! :kickass: Of course, for me, seeing Jon (WOMD) and Edguy in the same weekend pretty well did me in!!

Chris :headbang:

Believe it or not, I've never seen Savatage live. The closest I've came was the WMD performance at V. If Glenn was able to pull off a full-blown Savatage reunion show for PPVIIII I wouldn't know what to do with myself! :Smokin: :loco:

Glen, You said in the above post,

"I maintain that they are the perfect co-headliner with Primal Fear in terms of status and recognition. "

I hate to play devils advocate here, but if Primal Fear and After Forever are co-headliners, shouldn't they get equal playing time?

After Forever 11:30 - close
Primal Fear 9:45 - 11:00

I am in no way complaining, please don't interpret this post as that, I am legitimately curious?

This is always my favorite thread. It gives a little bit more perspective on the way this thing is done. Though I would have gone apeshit for a Crimson Glory reunion, I'm certainly pleased with the final lineup. I'm looking forward to seeing Virgin Steele and Firewind, and I'm dying to see Communic and Primal Fear. Redemption was really good the last time they played, but they're going to kick all forms of ass with Ray Alder. Sonata Arctica will be fun to see, though I hope their set will be much different from that of their last tour. I've been wanting to see Threshold again as soon as they were finished at ProgPower III. Finally, you can't go wrong with a showcase that features Vanden Plas and Freak Kitchen. I'm stoked.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Great recap, Glenn, as always! It really is cool how you take the extra time to explain the entire process in detail, for future festival promoters to learn from. :headbang:

I agree 100% thanks for the synopsis. It is interesting to see the thought process that goes into an endeavor of this nature. But the story I want to hear is about the "Mole" leaking the bands to everyone before Glenn did. :err: