The annual "This is how it happened" Thread

I would cry the entire set, like those two girls on their DVD. :lol:

would you possibly be referencing the "The Phantom of the Opera" girls? BTW, I did get choked up close to the end of that DVD. (we are both taking about "End of an Era" correct?)

They already had plans made for the year including the U.S. I spoke to their booking agent in the States and he was dumbstruck when he found out himself. He wanted the show to kick off or end here as it made since from a routing standpoint as well as logistical because of the multiple nights lodging that I offer the bands. No dice. I will go on record and say that I do not understand the logic behind their decision at all. On a side note, I had every intention of going after John Two Hawks to join them on stage.

AAAArrrrgh! I'd have given my eye teeth for this one. I've seen John Two-Hawks live, he's unbelievable! Hopefully, someone pulls this off. For John's sake beyond anyone elses. Shit, he's awesome!! I've been trying for nine months to find someone who'll bring him east coast. He's damn worthy, soon, hopefully...

Thanks for the insight into what happened this year and your thought processes! I've been going since PPIV and I have to say that this is my favorite/the strongest lineup yet! I say this because, I haven't been psyched about this many bands at the time of the announcements! Usually I'm psyched about a few, then afterwards liked/loved half or so. Being that I already like or love half of the bands, I'll probably leave Saturday night liking/loving most of the bands! I know this year will fully sell out due to the strength and drawing power of these bands! Congrats on a great job! Too bad things didn't work out for Nightwish (that would have been truly AWESOME!), Iced Earth and Brainstorm. There's always future PPs for them!

I'd also like to know your thoughts about Symphony X. Were they at least a backup? No bitching here. I know that you love them too, so there must be a good reason why they're not on the bill.

As for Freak Kitchen, I offered them the slot for the Showcase five minutes after their set ended last year Yes, I stepped on Shane’s toes but for fuck’s sake…that was amazing and I didn’t want to wait 3 years to see them again. Mattias kept his word. Let me say this about Mattias. He is by far one of the easiest and coolest individuals I have ever worked with in the history of the festival. He has made a friend and fan for life as a result and I would do anything to help him and the band out..

:D

I'm just glad that the voices grew by leaps & bounds over the years to make it on to your radar, & get these guys to the fest. I highly suspected that they were stand up cool dudes, and after 6+ years of trading e-mails, it was a pleasure & an honor to finally meet them. It was even more enjoyable to see the size & reaction of the crowd during their set. I can only hope that their exposure last year and this coming year will give them a reason to come visit us here in the US a lot more frequently. You are THE MAN for bringing them over, and giving them the opportunity to perform at Prog Power. For that alone, you have my eternal gratitude, as does Shane for being convinced to go along with the 2007 return. :)

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

J-Dubya

p.s. The rest of the lineup this year ain't too shabby either! Kudos on what will be another GREAT time in Atlanta!

:headbang:

I just want to say thanks for all youre effort every year this pp is going to be great I cant wait ,you area the MAN no question ask and like you know is impossible to make everybody happy so for those that dont like it just dont go and leave the ticket for the people that like it.:kickass: :headbang:

Thanks for the insight into the bullshit you have to go through to book these bands. As you've stated, its a delicate balancing act to work with these bands and around their schedules. At least now we know your rationale as to why you chose particular bands and the slots they wound up in.

So far I'm very impressed with the lineup. I don't like every band, but there's enough that I really am looking forward to going this year! SA, Firewind, Pagan's Mind and PF were the ones that clinched it for me.

Now about those stage lights... :) You gotta work on that.

BTW - when do tickets go on sale this year?

I love reading this every year and just to see how hard you work to get this fest working and deliever it to the fans is incredible then after all of it you come here and share your hard work with us. I think it is great and cant wait for Oct.

AWESOME JOB G-MAN!!!!!!! You're the man, and believe when i say I am learning from you, and Shane both as i put TEXAS MADFEST together. I don't have the reputation that you have but i hope that i am handling things as you would. As i said yesterday, let the naysayers say anything about this line-up or the Showcase line-up and you are going to hear and see how grouchy one retired old Army dude is going to get. This line-up is by far the best i have seen. Yes I was hoping for that NIGHTWISH thing, but SA and AF more than make up for it and think about this guys and gals, you will get to see NIGHTWISH also when their tour comes to a town near you after PPVIII.

So Again Glenn Great job and thanks for sharing the behind the scenes info.

Nice work Glen! I can tell you that I am more of a heavy prog guy and you would not have had the Rage affect with me if Primal Fear was bumped up. I love these guys. Can't wait!

This is always one of my favorite posts of the year. Fascinating reading. I think that you've put together one of the best lineups ever for this show.

Even though I'm not a fan of the band (and I know I'm in the minority on this), too bad the Nightwish thing didn't work out, as I know that would have been huge for you. As for the Savatage reunion, well, here's hoping for 2008...

dt

Glenn, All we can say is thanks. While every PP has been absolutely awesome, I must say that PP VIII looks to be the best. A fantastic mix of Prog and Power for those of us who love both. The hard work you (and your minions) put in is incredible. The details of how you do what you do and why you do it is facinating and confirms that you really do have balls of steel.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.