PP USA VII: Annual Behind the Scenes booking thread

I must have missed it somewhere but why would Rage not want to return? Was it because have the fools at PPIV didn't stay for what was one of the best bands to play PP?

I think Rage would fit better now. I haven't listened to their new album, but from what has been said...

I bet they'd have better attendance too. If they had a second spot.

Underground bands are discussed here all the time. I know that I promote them on these boards occassionaly, as well as others. Thing is, when it comes to 'ProgPower' "underground" band aren't going to bring in the business draw-usually. Underground bands tend to show themselves at larger fests that have way too many bands for anybody to ever see or remember. But if you are good enough, and put on a good enough show, people remember you and then maybe start doing bigger shows.

Also, underground bands tend to only have an album or two of material. Maybe just an EP. Which means they don't have much to use at a larger show, nor do they necessarily have tons of live experience. Its one thing to listen to a band on an album, another to have them try to play that material live. For example, many guitarists can be musically talented and think of neat licks, sweet solos, etc. However, in the studio, a lot can be done to cover for mistakes, or inabilities, or ability to play in time with each other. Live... unless you have an incredible god sent sound guy. You can't. This is why, in my opinion, the musicians have to prove themselves first live. Savage Circus, is a 'new band', but not new musicians. They all have performed live numerous times, and know how it works.

Of all things, I really really really hope Dragonforce is not given a headlining spot in the near future because of their sudden inexplicable popularity. Those guys are utterly overrated and, their songs are bland and not clever, and their solos add nothing to their songs.

Cheiron said:
Underground bands are discussed here all the time. I know that I promote them on these boards occassionaly, as well as others. Thing is, when it comes to 'ProgPower' "underground" band aren't going to bring in the business draw-usually.

Thing is, I wouldn't imagine an "underground" band getting a headlining spot -- perhaps an opening slot (nothing that anyone would bank on to draw further business, that's what the middle slot thru' headliners are for).

Also, underground bands tend to only have an album or two of material. Maybe just an EP. Which means they don't have much to use at a larger show

It's still enough material for an opening slot, however.

nor do they necessarily have tons of live experience.

Man, most underground bands LIVE on the tour circuit albeit smaller local clubs.

Its one thing to listen to a band on an album, another to have them try to play that material live. For example, many guitarists can be musically talented and think of neat licks, sweet solos, etc. However, in the studio, a lot can be done to cover for mistakes, or inabilities, or ability to play in time with each other. Live... unless you have an incredible god sent sound guy. You can't.

Yeah but you can apply that to ANY band, of any calibre.

This is why, in my opinion, the musicians have to prove themselves first live.

It's all sounding very catch-22. Someone in the foodchain of promotion has to allow underground bands to prove themselves live in front of a larger audience.

If you have the headliners to draw the crowds anyway, there should be room for "risk" or "experimentation" at the lower levels. Or at least, that's a theory.

It's all a matter of looking beyond Century Media, Inside Out, etc.

There are only two opener slots in the ProgPower lineup, and zillions of underground bands out there. How do you decide which underground bands are "deserving" of the slot? It certainly makes sense to give it to a band that has proven itself, either in a bunch of live shows, or by having a catalog of more than one good release.

And before anybody mentions Circus Maximus, I'll point out that they are the exception, not the rule. Harv put his balls on the line, and they came through for him in a big way. (The band, not Glenn's balls).

Man, most underground bands LIVE on the tour circuit albeit smaller local clubs.

Not in this genre... most very young prog and power bands, especially in the US, only play a handful of shows a year, if that. They have day jobs, families, etc., and, also, many of the bands are managed/promoted poorly so they don't get to play out a lot.

booB said:
There are only two opener slots in the ProgPower lineup, and zillions of underground bands out there. How do you decide which underground bands are "deserving" of the slot?

Well, to be fair, there are zillions of "mainstream" bands as well. You still need some process of elimination to determine who's in with a shot.

It certainly makes sense to give it to a band that has proven itself, either in a bunch of live shows, or by having a catalog of more than one good release.

True, but you can't assume that all underground bands only have one good release or an EP etc. It's just a matter of scratching beneath the surface. There are several underground bands out there that garner lots of attention, it's just that they're not signed to "mainstream" labels such as Metal Blade or whatever.

Not in this genre... most very young prog and power bands, especially in the US, only play a handful of shows a year, if that. They have day jobs, families, etc.

Yeah but wouldn't it be correct to assume that almost all metal bands (regardless of genre or label support) would fit that category? I can't think of many metal bands that can live securely on their album sales and concert touring alone.

You do have a point though if you only focus on strict genres (and within that genre, a very strict 'style'). Again, it all depends on how much you're willing to experiment with and I have to imagine the strength of headliners gives you more breathing room. For example, you could sell out a show with just Blind Guardian and Iced Earth, leaving you some room for creativity in the remaining roster.

JayKeeley said:
For example, you could sell out a show with just Blind Guardian and Iced Earth, leaving you some room for creativity in the remaining roster.

Sure, just as long as the 8 remaining roster bands are willing to play for free passes and a case o' cheap beer.....

Jasonic said:
I wasn't attacking any one poster by saying, "If you like Nevermore than you only like Century Media bands" or anything to that nature.

But in the past few weeks, everyone has been like, "Oh go get Nevermore, Iced Earth, or Symphony X!!!!"

I dunno. It would be nice sometimes to have a conversation about more underground bands who maybe not everyone knows about yet, but would love.

Pyramaze is the perfect example, esp for me. I was not familiar with them prior to their addition to Prog Power. I downloaded an album and was blown away.

There's a reason why people mention those 3 bands up there to new-comers to the genre. When it's all said and done, those 3 do it better than any of the others in most cases. It has nothing to do with shunning the lesser-known bands, it has everything to do with those 3 bands (and others) are the best IN the genre. Just like POS & Dream Theater are considered the best in the prog genre. It doesn't mean everyone likes them.... but the majority* does, and if the majority does it must mean they're doing something right.

Just remember that the up&comers could be tomorrow's Iced Earth, Kamelot and Dream Theatre.

*by majority I mean all us intelligent metal fans that are members of this forum and attendees of PP, not the MTV crowd.

Creeps[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue said:
Just remember that the up&comers could be tomorrow's Iced Earth, Kamelot and Dream Theatre.[/COLOR]

You spelled the theater wrong in Dream Theater. You get points for writing it correctly before that last sentence.

Sorry, but us DT fans are touchy about that sort of thing (LOL).

Btw, my post if for humorous purposes only!

I love these posts, as I always enjoy some insight into how this show works. I was happy to see that you did consider Redemption, as that disc was the best thing out there last year. I hope to see them perhaps next year, but they better play "Sapphire", dammit!:)

I continue to hold out hope for an Enchant set. I know they need a new CD out before you'll consider them, though, so I suppose I should hold out hope that they'll actually record another one.

I cannot wait to see Freak Kitchen. I think they are going to surprise a lot of people...

dt