The annual "This is how it happened" Thread

I may not always be uber-keen on EVERY band you book each year... but i totally respect the work and bullshit you go thru to book the festival

Kudo's to ya Glenn

Amen to that! However, this year, there is not a single band on the bill that disappoints me. Every band I either already love or whatever I've heard so far sounds amazing. I have to say that after attending the three previous festivals, this is the festival that I have been the most excited about - hands down.

I always appriciate hearing how you "pull it off." This time around, you've not only made me very appriciative of what you accomplished for this year's festival, but have also given me great hope for what I can expect in the future for ProgPower USA (Iced Earth, Savatage (again), Nightwish, Crimson Glory, Brainstorm (as a possible headliner), etc.). Thank you, Glenn, for all you do for the metal fans here in the states. :headbang:

Great recap, Glenn, as always! It really is cool how you take the extra time to explain the entire process in detail, for future festival promoters to learn from. :headbang:

This is always the post I look forward to the mosteach year - even more than the announcements of the bands. I love to see all the insight that goes into this because one day I may try to pull off a smaller version of this fest (way, way into the future). I'm amazed at how much time this must take - in addition to a regular job & family time. Hell, dealing with all the different bands/debamnds & logistics could be a full time job in and of itself.

Cheers on a job well done, and a few morsels thrown out there for future PP's - excellent :)
Jeff

I've been to a lot of concerts in my time......never been quite as pumped about it as I am already for this years PP (FUCK it's still 10 months away :erk: )

Kick ass job Glenn!!

you are under no obligation to release such INTERESTING and informative details... and yet you do. loyalty breeds loyalty... and yours to the bands of these genres, and fans on this forum does not go unnoticed. MUCH RESPECT!!!

so thanks and great, great job... and, folks, if he goes crowd-diving again let's keep him up a litle longer and surf him around the whole floor area next time, eh? it is deserving.

Thanks for this post. It's very cool to read how the lineup came to be, and behind-the-scenes stuff that went with it.

But I'm surprised by one thing. You mean your wife isn't already used to you playing air guitar and throwing the horns to your cats?? :)

The rise of Prog and Power metal since this fest started, and the accompanying rise in band prices is a result mainly of this festival. You, therefore, have become your own worst enemy by creating greater hurdles to clear in order to match quality to budget.
At the time it was announced ProgPower III was the most impressive lineup that could be billed given the circumstances of the time. ProgPower III will probably always stand as the best there ever was in many peoples' opinion. However, in this day and in this circumstance I have to say I think this lineup equals PP III in impressiveness.

Last year 3 of 7 regulars in my group came. This year all 7 are already commited and I expect the number to climb to 9. I don't know how fast this will sell out, but I wouldn't recommend anyone oversleep on that Saturday morning.

Nice job.:kickass: :headbang:

Pellazapalooza! I'm there dude!:kickass:

lol....just let me win the lottery first. :lol:

Hell, a friend of mine won $18 million in the Florida lottery years ago, so I guess ya can't say it'll never happen....

And if I were to put together some sort of festival for the dozen or so people on this Earth whose musical tastes closely parallel mine (Ozric Tentacles to Opeth, Cruxshadows to Cradle of Filth, Dead Can Dance to Dimmu Borgir, The Last Dance to Therion, etc.), I'd hire Glenn and his crew to handle the nitty-gritty parts...and pay them appropriately and handsomely. I know where quality is found. :worship:

woha...... i think i'll never organize a progpower festival !!! :OMG:

Anyway, good work, and a good work and effort always gets a positive payback !!! :headbang:

It was about this time that I got the confirmation on Nightwish bailing. I turned my attention to see if I could pull off the Savatage reunion show. I thought I had a chance for a bit, but I’m rather certain that was just smoke being blown up my ass in recollection. I would have loved to have had Jon back in a 4th slot, but Pain ended up getting booked for PP Europe. As much as I love everyone in that band (Chris is my dog!) , I didn’t want to steal Renee’s thunder and attempt to book them for the Friday. It just wouldn’t be right and it would have been risky in terms of flights, etc. It also sucks that Pain is held hostage by the shadow of Savatage as I want that damn gig and it would be bad business to book Jon two years straight.
I am surprised no one has commented on this yet. SOOOOOOO we are getting either Jon Oliva's Pain or, more importantly, Savatage in 2008????

Excellent read as always Glenn. While I would have been happier with Iced Earth or Brainstorm in the final slot, You have done an helluva job again Glenn.

You know... I've really got no words to say. This year's gonna be a very very different year, yet I know already that I'm gonna get shocked and impressed. I don't yet know which band will be the walkaway 1st Impression Champion this year, cuz there's three bands here that I expect to stun people and keep them on their feet, even with noone in the crowd knowing the lyrics or singing along!

To be dead honest, Pagan's Mind and Primal Fear were the only bands on the list that were 100% sellers for me. You know... the bands I was familiar enough with to go this year no questions asked. We all have those kinds of bands we want to see on the bill each year. I expected to see more of "those" bands for me, but that's not really the selling point for me any more. It's turning into the "Suprise Factor". Like Freak Kitchen, Symphorce, Epica, Vanden Plas, Brainstorm... the bands that I latched onto BECAUSE of their performance at Prog Power. Those are the reasons I enjoy Prog Power now! I expect the bands that I wanna see to be excellent, and they ALWAYS are. But the "Suprise Factor" is what I deem most valuable from this festival.

And with this lineup, there's far too much potential for the Suprise Factor! WOO HOO!!!

Okay, I had words to say. I LIED to you all. NYUK NYUK!!!

I checked in on Crimson Glory, but that situation is even worse than Savatage. Next….

It's time for Midnight to move on, so Wild Steel can take over the vocals