70000 TONS OF METAL CRUISE

Bought my cabin for 70000 tons today. If this turns out anything like its looking its going to it should be a historic metal occassion. Talked with the lady on the phone a bit (real nice) and got some background details on the whole thing. She said tickets are selling faster then they expected and that the headliners haven't even been announced yet. Everyone there seemed sincere and excited about the event. I'm still just aghast at the scope of the entire project. I mean 40 bands each playing two sets? Its outrageous. The marketing is so good I imagine it will sell out, they have propagated themselves around the web better in less then one year then I have my own internet company in 10+ years. Anyone else from here looking at going?
Aaron

PS. I honestly wish it was just a Progpower style Festival show for 4 days though. I could really do without the whole cruise aspect but I guess it will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) have any idea how many tickets are being sold? It's too bad I can't make this as probably by the time I would possibly know, the tickets will already be sold out.

I don't care if they have Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Black Sabbath on this cruise, it ain't selling out given the cost. I'm lucky, I'm already in South Florida. So I'll probably mosy on down there using Dade transit and get on the boat. But it would be hard to contemplate flying to Miami AND buying a $600 cruise ticket for most people.

I don't care if they have Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Black Sabbath on this cruise, it ain't selling out given the cost. I'm lucky, I'm already in South Florida. So I'll probably mosy on down there using Dade transit and get on the boat. But it would be hard to contemplate flying to Miami AND buying a $600 cruise ticket for most people.

I think this one will sell out actually. It's extremely well promoted (compared to other fests of this kind), the bands are well chosen (not just focusing on one style), the people booking the bands are probably getting them "quite cheap" (seeing most of the bands share the same US booking agent), and with the closest competition just canceling (as expected) it looks like it'll be smooth sailing (pun intended) from here on.

In Europe these kinds of on-the-sea-festivals has been a success for years - even with high prices - I think it's about time that a serious contender entered the market over here.

c.

One thing that attracts me is that even though there are a lot of bands that I don't like(with so many different styles that shouldn't be surprising), since it's a freakin' cruise I can just retire to my cabin or do something else on the ship.

The greatest part is that even though it's a much higher ticket price, I won't be incurring as much expense as I would to go to Progpower because I'm local. So if I can do Progpower, I can probably do the cruise too.

I also think it will sell out. It's expensive, yes, but it's 11 months from now. I'm paying in installments, something like $180 or $210 x 4. I think most people can put away that much per season. I'll have no problem with it, but if I was worried - Hammerfall, Sonata Arctica, and Amon Amarth are coming through town in April here. That's over $100 right there, and I'll likely be seeing all of them with a better crowd and atmosphere on the cruise. Take away a night out, and I'm even for that payment.

I like the price, it means that there won't be any of those guys who show up to a metal show they know nothing about because they just want to run into people. It's quite the bargain, I'd be willing to pay more and I'm amazed it's so cheap.

I'll be flying to Miami, I'll probably park my car in Grand Forks and fly from there, it's infinitely cheaper than flying from Winnipeg. Different topic, but I never understood the complaining about bands not coming directly to a person's city - from Winnipeg to Minneapolis is about a 7 hour cross-border drive. I work and am a student, and have seen Blind Guardian, Therion, Nightwish, Iced Earth, Paganfest 1, etc in that situation. If you really like the music, suck it up and accept attending concerts outside a 30 minute driving radius (not directed at anyone, I just remember seeing some people in years past debating whether to drive from an adjacent state to Georgia because gas had gone up 5 cents or something).

See, I don't think this is really that overpriced considering everything you get. 40 bands, most of which are good and the headliners haven't really been announced yet from what I hear, get a cabin, the cost goes towards food and some drinks (non-alcoholic), so when you add all that up it's not really that much more expensive than when I go to progpower each year. The reason I can't float it (pun intended) is due to family and I can only really do one of these trips per year and I'd much rather do Progpower. I do think this will sell out. As people have said, a lot of promotion behind this and I really don't think it's too expensive if you consider everything you get.

My wife and I signed up for the early registration, when we called a few days ago they said they were getting so many orders their credit card machine was overloading and told us to call back! We are really looking forward to this because it seems like super cool time, tons of great bands. I can't believe they still haven't announced the headliners. I also think it will be cool that most of the bands will probably be walking around on the ship so one might have a chance to meet them.

I'm probably not repeating a lot that hasn't already been said but in regards to the cost, there is no doubt that the trip isn't for everyone. As someone pointed out, that gets rid of any "casual" attenders, which for the serious concert goer is a plus. Its more akin to a vacation then a show. When you compare the costs of a vacation to this one (factoring in entertainment, flight, hotel, etc) its not badly priced. I've always wanted to go to Wacken, but its more then the trouble (and anxiety) of international travel that keeps me from going. This will actually be cheaper then going to Wacken, and I don't have to go to Germany for what could end up being a similar (or even better) show. 2000 people instead of 70000 and no camping also sounds like a huge relief. I think in order for this show to succeed, potential attendees will have to look at it is as a vacation rather then a show ticket expense. Hopefully there will be 2000 serious (financially responsible) metalheads the world over to make it work. Like someone else said I'd love to see this become an annual show for the Americas like Europe gets. I just wish Glenn were running it!
Aaron

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but why was it expected that Triton would cancel? I booked the cruise, and at no time saw any signs that it would not be moving forward, although I certainly may have missed something. :)

Steph

Also, with the dates so spread apart, was Triton really competition? They're both cruises but one was this spring and the other was next January.

I think this one will sell out actually. It's extremely well promoted (compared to other fests of this kind), the bands are well chosen (not just focusing on one style), the people booking the bands are probably getting them "quite cheap" (seeing most of the bands share the same US booking agent), and with the closest competition just canceling (as expected) it looks like it'll be smooth sailing (pun intended) from here on.

In Europe these kinds of on-the-sea-festivals has been a success for years - even with high prices - I think it's about time that a serious contender entered the market over here.

c.

It seems you are bitter Claus? What if the medical crisis is true? Which I think it is. Don't you think what you've stated would be viewed as rather harsh?

Can you imagine the negative karma one would inflict upon themselves to
fake a "family crisis" such as this. I have talked to the promoter in great
length this week and the reasons for having to cancel are
100% true, accurate and not exaggerated. I wouldn't wish what is happening
to her and her family onto anyone and they deserve our prayers and support!
The festival was handled very professionally from the very beginning and JOP
would certainly work with the organization again....how about some Texas shows people?

It seems you are bitter Claus? What if the medical crisis is true? Which I think it is. Don't you think what you've stated would be viewed as rather harsh?

How's that being bitter? I've got nothing at stake w the cruise so it doesn't matter to me they cancelled. I was commenting on the 70000 tons cruise, and all I said was that it was expected that the triton one would be cancelled. The circumstances are VERY unfortunate and as Chris said they deserve our prayers. I'm not stating anything to the effect that their reasons aren't legit. It's not my place to do so at all, so don't read anything into it that isn't there. When I said it was expected, I was referring to the price, the competition and that it was a one-sided festival that I honestly did not expect to be happening. As said, the circumstances are tremendously sad and I am very sorry for that.
I personally had to cancel a festival last year (progpower Scandinavia) and lost money on that. It is not fun and I'm sure that also is something that will be tough for the promoter. Again, the promoter and family do deserve our prayers.
C.

Reserved my cabin earlier this week right when general public sales started. As much as it would be nice to know all the bands playing, if they get a couple of really big bands, that is going to increase awareness and make it harder to get onboard.

I too am waiting to pay as they can't take credit cards yet, only bank transfers. I'm doing installments and like the protection Visa offers me, so I'm waiting for them to call me back.

So anyone else going? I'm more of a death metal weenie than anything else, so Amon Amarth, Obituary & Finntroll appeal the most to me right now. But I want to see Sodom, Saxon, Swashbuckle and Moonspell (maybe).

With 26 more bands to be announced I'm fairly confident that there will be plenty more I want to see.

If they can get My Dying Bride and/or Madder Mortem and/or Bloodbath I'd be giddy like a schoolgirl. :lol::lol::lol:

Reserved my cabin earlier this week right when general public sales started. As much as it would be nice to know all the bands playing, if they get a couple of really big bands, that is going to increase awareness and make it harder to get onboard.

I too am waiting to pay as they can't take credit cards yet, only bank transfers. I'm doing installments and like the protection Visa offers me, so I'm waiting for them to call me back.

So anyone else going? I'm more of a death metal weenie than anything else, so Amon Amarth, Obituary & Finntroll appeal the most to me right now. But I want to see Sodom, Saxon, Swashbuckle and Moonspell (maybe).

With 26 more bands to be announced I'm fairly confident that there will be plenty more I want to see.

If they can get My Dying Bride and/or Madder Mortem and/or Bloodbath I'd be giddy like a schoolgirl. :lol::lol::lol:

It's bad enough I'm going to miss Saxon, but if they brought on My Dying Bride , it would piss me off even more than I already am. There's just no way I'd be able to float this (pun intended) especially since there's a slight chance progpower might be out of the question. Ugh.