70000 TONS OF METAL CRUISE

70000 Tons of Metal will still be more reasonable than Triton if you think about it. 40 bands versus 10?

It's not like 70000 will be 4 times more expensive than Triton either.

The idea of being stuck on a boat with that many people gives me the heebie jeebies. Then again, I've passed on Wacken to go to Bang Your Head and Tuska, preferring less bands (hard to see all the ones I want anyway), with less people. Triton sounds more intimate to me.

If they decided to go heavy on the prog and power bands, the future of Triton *may* be compromised imo.
Festivals rarely even include Prog, much less focus on it. If you browse through the Euro fest line ups, you'll see very little, if any, Prog. I wouldn't worry about a Prog focus impacting Triton. However, it's a clear new entry into their market. Hopefully there's room enough for both.

Zod

Festivals rarely even include Prog, much less focus on it. If you browse through the Euro fest line ups, you'll see very little, if any, Prog.
Zod
True, but I did see Porcupine Tree for the first time at Sweden Rock and the crowd for them was HUGE. Became a big fan after that. But, you're right, for the most part prog is minimally represented.

As I said, no disrespect to Triton, but with the names already on this cruise, it will reach the attention of thousands who probably don't even know about Triton

Bottom line ,Triton appeals to a niche crowd, this cruise appeals to more of a mass metal market.

Could be that these 6 are it, and the rest are garbage.
If the remaining announcements are weak, it could hurt the cruise.

True, but I did see Porcupine Tree for the first time at Sweden Rock and the crowd for them was HUGE. Became a big fan after that.
True. But then again, Sweden Rock is also a bit of an outlier, with regard to the festival world. Not many festivals have ELO and At the Gates performing at the same time. :loco:

Zod

If you're a stateside metal fan and the lineup is comparable to a European festival, then this is comparable price wise plus the longer flight time, dealing with transportation to and from an airport in a foreign country,etc. That too can be stressful, I've done it twice going to Keep It True, once going to Headbangers Open Air and once to Wacken, and it was worth it but just saying.

All bands play twice! so if you really like a band you can see them possibly twice if they don't conflict against another band you want to see.

Also I plan to try to go to this solo if the lineup warrants it. Anyone up to splitting a room with four beds to keep the costs down, inside berth?

If you're a stateside metal fan and the lineup is comparable to a European festival, then this is comparable price wise plus the longer flight time, dealing with transportation to and from an airport in a foreign country,etc. That too can be stressful, I've done it twice going to Keep It True, once going to Headbangers Open Air and once to Wacken, and it was worth it but just saying.

All bands play twice! so if you really like a band you can see them possibly twice if they don't conflict against another band you want to see.

Also I plan to try to go to this solo if the lineup warrants it. Anyone up to splitting a room with four beds to keep the costs down, inside berth?

I would happily split a room!

The idea of being stuck on a boat with that many people gives me the heebie jeebies. Then again, I've passed on Wacken to go to Bang Your Head and Tuska, preferring less bands (hard to see all the ones I want anyway), with less people. Triton sounds more intimate to me.

I agree... I will take the more intimate festival any day of the week. Triton seems like a better deal for me (both in concept and and the bands announced so far)...

I agree... I will take the more intimate festival any day of the week. Triton seems like a better deal for me (both in concept and and the bands announced so far)...

No disrespect to anyone, but I think it was not mentioned, that the Triton cruise shares the ship with other groups/regular cruise guests. If I understand this correct, 70000TONS is the whole ship.

I don't think that Metal crowds mix very well with retired couples and families... so I kind of question what is the real deal here.

Again no disrespect to anyone, both are great events, just pointing out differences.

I've looked into it, and yes you can. You get a 4 person/bed cabin, on the interior, and that is 666 dollars a person, plus the like 250 for taxes and such, making it just over 900 a person.

On the 70000TONS website it says that you get 10% off the ticket price when you register with them. It says that that registration is without obligation. I don't know if the 10% off applies only to the ticket price or the taxes too. I'll find out...

i am still waiting for a Captain Stubing reference?!?! but in all seriousness we are talking about going to see metal bands on a cruise. sounds like a metal retirement home on the water. to me it's just not right, but again i am the weird one in the bunch apparently.