70000 TONS OF METAL CRUISE

This looks totally awesome. If the rest of the lineup looks anywhere like this I'll definitely be going! I do wonder if they will really be able to sell 2000 tickets at those prices, but as far as a vacation goes $200-250 or so a day for meals, room and bands seems like a heckuva deal.
Aaron

Seriously if you consider the "normal" cost of a cruise would run you at least around $500 for this type of shorter Caribbean cruise, are you really spending that much more for the bands?

Don't get me wrong it depends on the full lineup, if these are the cream of the crop and which I've seen most of them already then I won't drop the cash for it, but if they keep announcing stuff of this level or better then I'll be there.

Realistically, cost wise, distance, dealing with U.S. travel versus International travel and language barriers, being a stranger in a strange land situations (which I do like too), etc, if you have or would consider going to any European festival it is comparable price wise and we shall see on band wise. Sure this cruise and those European festivals might be too rich for some and I get it. I had to scrimp and save to do two weeks in Europe in '08 for Headbangers Open Air and Wacken, but man, was it worth it! Bands I would NEVER see in America! Money wise, yeah, thats why I'm trying to find three other "semi" budget consicous people to split a room. Not like I plan to be there other than to crash after watching music all day.

Normally flights to Miami are pretty decent too.

***from reading their website - Note costs of the cruise cover boarding, food, non alcoholic and non carbonated beverages only. That means for alcohol or sodas too, you have to pay separate for those, or they have this card you purchase and use on board that bills you so you don't have to keep cash on you all the time.

Seriously if you consider the "normal" cost of a cruise would run you at least around $500 for this type of shorter Caribbean cruise, are you really spending that much more for the bands?

Actually, you shouldn't be spending much more than $300 for that exact cruise. I can book an ocean view room for $744 for two people in March. That's the total price including taxes. Booking for Jan 2011 for the same dates is even cheaper. A similar room for this is going to run $3096 for two people.

Actually, you shouldn't be spending much more than $300 for that exact cruise. I can book an ocean view room for $744 for two people in March. That's the total price including taxes. Booking for Jan 2011 for the same dates is even cheaper. A similar room for this is going to run $3096 for two people.
True. If this were simply a cruise, this would be insanely expensive. As with all things financial, it's about the perception of value. From my perspective, the headliners are headliners I can see on a fairly regular basis here in the U.S. Amon Amarth, Sonata Arctica and Stratovarious tour the states regularly, and smart money says they'll all be touring before or after this cruise. This is not the case with the Triton cruise, which also, from a pure cruise perspective, is the much better vacation value.

Zod

True. If this were simply a cruise, this would be insanely expensive. As with all things financial, it's about the perception of value. From my perspective, the headliners are headliners I can see on a fairly regular basis here in the U.S. Amon Amarth, Sonata Arctica and Stratovarious tour the states regularly, and smart money says they'll all be touring before or after this cruise. This is not the case with the Triton cruise, which also, from a pure cruise perspective, is the much better vacation value.

Zod

Pretty much. Although that might change with some band announcements. My feeling in general is that if I'm putting that kind of money down for a concert, I'm just going to go to Europe.

I'm curious to see what this does to Triton. But then again Triton will probably be way more of an intimate show than this will be. Kinda like a prog power on the water from what I think. I cant really see Timo or anyone from SA coming down from their rooms to just be in the middle of the crowd and watching where as TPC all the bands will be in the mix....I could be wrong? donno? but the 70K tons cruise has a wider appeal because you have some death metal and other genres of metal on it, which means they would probably get those FL death metalers on it as well. I hope the best for both cruises and hopefully both of them will also sell the tickets they need to, to ensure more trips like these :)

Cant wait to see the final lineup!

Pretty much. Although that might change with some band announcements. My feeling in general is that if I'm putting that kind of money down for a concert, I'm just going to go to Europe.
Couldn't agree more. There are so many great Euro fests, that for the money 70,000 Tons wants, you might as well go to Europe for a week and hit a fest while you're there.

Zod

If ProgPower was missing anything, THIS is it.

Welcome aboard, brother! :kickass:

hahaha yes sir! well a van full might be a bit of a stretch but 3 confirmed as of now. They all have friends too and were trying to get those friends in to truly say "van full of metal girls". but yes we will be sure that there will be some extras there for the eyes :)

That's what you get when Seven Kingdoms is in town for Prog Power :OMG:

hahaha yes sir! well a van full might be a bit of a stretch but 3 confirmed as of now. They all have friends too and were trying to get those friends in to truly say "van full of metal girls". but yes we will be sure that there will be some extras there for the eyes :)

That's what you get when Seven Kingdoms is in town for Prog Power :OMG:

I'd rather have a "cruise liner full of metal girls" than a van. :Smug:

Though I'd rather save money going to PPUSA than on a cruise - which means I can settle for the van.

I'd rather have a "cruise liner full of metal girls" than a van. :Smug:

Though I'd rather save money going to PPUSA than on a cruise - which means I can settle for the van.

well I'm pretty sure most people would prefer a whole cruise ship but hey, we work with what we got! :kickass:

That cruise is good but waaaaaaaaay to expensive. I've been to the Sweden Rock metal cruises and as I remember I paid about $ 400 for 2 days of incredible music and fun.

Sounds interesting, but a bit pricey (but than again, look what I paid for these ski trips - makes this look cheap!)

As for the 40 bands vs the 10 on Triton Power Cruise - well - I'll wait to see what the final line up is. Could end up being out of all those bands, there may only be 10 or so that I actually care for. At least Triton Power Cruise, I am very interested and excited to see all ten of those bands, including the ones that will by playing at the "pre-party/cruise" gig as well, especially as there are a few bands on there that I've yet to see. Nearly all of those bands that I've seen listed for the 70K of Metal, has played or will be playing Jaxx at one point or another. Now, I would be stoked to see Sonata Arctica and Stratovarious at the very least.

I can certainly afford to go on this, but do I want to spend that kind of money? Again, I may seriously consider it. But at the same time, that is square smack in the middle of the ski season and already I have plans for another ski trip for 2011, which if takes place on that same week - well - during the winter, skiing takes precedence to the metal for me!

What people are forgetting is that this thing will set someone back around $4-5K. Unless you live in Miami, or can drive there in a reasonable amount of time, you are looking at airfare. Add to this the cruise, dining (in case you don't want to eat in the dining hall), drinks package, liquor, gambling, and band merch, and you are looking at a pretty penny. Never mind the fact that one has to take the week off to go to this. If they are lucky, I see half a house at best. ESPECIALLY if the economy is still in the shitter.