'70's Hard Rock

James Murphy

Mar 26, 2002
i grew up on this stuff, even though most of it was already out for some time even when i was a kid... but my dad was into it and had a huge record collection.... i've recently been on a kick, during my brief available recreational listening time of late, of resurrecting these old gems from the '70's, that i discovered in the '80's originally.

like...

Thin Lizzy
Nazareth
Ted Nugent
Blue Öyster Cult
Scorpions
Van Halen
Kiss
Budgie
Triumph
Uriah Heep
Motörhead
Riot
Rainbow (w/ RJD, R.I.P.)
UFO
Robin Trower
Montrose
Dust

etc... but only the 1970's stuff from these bands... for some reason my current kick is very "decade specific", :lol:

everyone likes Black Sabbath, but does anyone else have love for other from this era of hard rock?

EDIT: some more that come to mind...

Rush
Aerosmith
Queen
Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin
AC/DC

I'm with ya on Thin Lizzy, Rainbow and Uriah Heep but I would also throw in Queen, Rush, Kansas and Zep :headbang:

never cared for VH myself :loco:

yeah, i really only like VH's first 4 albums... though i do like a few songs on both Diver Down and 1984. they can go straight to hell after that.. Van Hagar blows the cock.

Queen - "News Of The World" was one of the first 3 LPs i ever owned (got 'em around age 8 along with a plastic turntable.

the other 2 were Aerosmith - "Toys In The Attic" and Parliament Funkadelic - "One Nation Under A Groove", lol

I find it slightly disturbing when someone says they DONT like the first 4 records. :lol:

^ I don't ... maybe the odd song here and there but for the most part I couldn't really care less about VH

I should have also put KISS in the "agree with" spot ... I've had KISS albums since I was like 5, played them on my KISS record player :D

i just rocked Nazareth's "No Mean City" LP and as i type this i'm spinning Thin Lizzy's "Chinatown"

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of bands already mentioned in the op.

Few more obscure:
Jericho (Check out Ethiopia)
Sir Lord Baltimore
Tear Gas
Blues Creation
Buffalo

Now, I have heard very little from these bands, one song per band to be precise, but it has certainly peaked my interest. I was on a search for some old heavy/hard rock that was not Sabbath or any of the other usual suspects, and I stumbled upon a homemade compilation of sorts and just had to download it. I confess. :) But this stuff seems to be almost impossible to find anywhere... If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. :)

Fuck yeah. You already listed my favourite bands.
I'll had early Whitesnake albums with w/Micky Moody and Jon Lord and Rose Tattoo.

Love the 70s!

I would throw in some

-Alice Cooper (Halo of flies, Go to hell)

-Creedence Clearwater Revival (mainly late 60s material, but this stuff was so ahead of it's time)

-Focus (Hocus Pocus is THE 70s hardrock song for me)

-The Golden Earring (Gayest bandname possible, but together with Focus without a doubt the best rockband to hail from Holland. Radar Love, Long Blond Animal

-Judas Priest (I can't believe no one named this one yet)

-Pink Floyd (C'MON!)

-The Who (Ditto here)

The music in the 70's was awesome in all styles, even disco was much better!
I was born in 1975 I've listened to lot of bands from that decade (also 60's), my mother was playing it all day when I was a child... Slade, D. Bowie, The Animals, The Doors, Creedence...

When I was 15 I only wanted to listen to True Metal, then I grew up and began to listen to classic hard and heavy bands like...

Rainbow - my favorite.
Judas Priest - "Sad Wings..." and "Sin After Sin" are my favorite Priest albums
Riot - I'm still a fan of the current albums. Had the chance to open for them some few years ago.
Thin Lizzy
Uriah Heep
Black Sabbath
Scorpions

Never liked Kiss, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Queen.

Jevo, not being an asshole (you know I am) but in english you don't say actual, you say current. Actual in english means "real", unlike actual in spanish which means current.

And I do like ACDC, aerosmith and Queen, among my favorites of that time (in which I was not nearly even born), plus Kansas is also huge to me

I was born in 1975 and raised on a steady diet of Deep Purple, Queen, Aerosmith, The Scorpions, and Rush.

Oh and Abba too. My mother did have a *little* bit of influence :)

Of those, I still listen to Rush and Queen all the time, and now as a result my kids do too. My 9 yr old loves the "Night at the Opera" album and my 4 yr old constantly requests the live version of "YYZ" from Exit Stage Left because he loves the drum solo :kickass:

Rush
Queen
Led Zep
Van Halen
Scorpions

Right there with ya on VH's first four albums James. Never cared for their shit after that.
Admittedly, despite being Australia, I don't care for AC/DC. It could just be over exposure to the band though. Maybe if I don't hear them at all for the next 2 years I'll be able to dig it.
Rush is essential listening for the prog rock fan really. I don't really listen to them anymore, but during my younger years, I was exposed to a lot of Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd and Rush because of my dad which set the wheels turning for me becoming a prog rock fan.

And hell indeed we do all like Black Sabbath but...... if one doesn't like Sabbath, they've got no business being on ultimatemetal.com:headbang:
Been a fan of Sabbath since 2004.
Their first few albums still hold a special place in my heart.

^ I don't ... maybe the odd song here and there but for the most part I couldn't really care less about VH

I should have also put KISS in the "agree with" spot ... I've had KISS albums since I was like 5, played them on my KISS record player :D

I cant see any problems with disliking VH, but i mean on the first 4 records you have: Eruption, Aint Talking 'bout love, Running With The Devil, Somebody Get Me a Doctor, Bottoms Up, Beautiful Girls, Take Your Whiskey Home, In a Simple Rhyme, Mean Street, Dirty Moves, Sinner's Swing and the all mighty Unchained.

On the next 7 albums all you have that is worth listening to is: Hang 'em High, Panama, Hot For Teacher, House of Pain, Good Enough, Summer Nights and 5150.

i know, right? i mean.. it's like a beatin' needs to be served up or somethin'

watch out 'Los.... we're onto you :err:

Haha, naah, but it sounds so weird.. almost everyone that listens to VH says the exact opposite. :p

I love Van Hagar as much as the early stuff... sue me. :lol:

It's surely not as edgy as the DLR stuff, but albums like F.U.C.K just have a lot of awesome tunes on them.

VH III though... :ill:

---

I love blues induced Hard Rock so much, almost every band mentioned here so far. The Scorpions were scheduled to appear on my radio show a couple of weeks ago but their flight was delayed due to the volcano ash disaster. I was super bummed out.