'70's Hard Rock

Dig damn near everything mentioned in this thread so far. Glad some slightly obscure stuff like Budgie was mentioned (I know, not totally obscure...but people still think the Budgie songs Metallica covered were songs they wrote).

Anyone dig Lucifers Friend? Quite a few bands cover "Ride The Sky" (like Trouble did on their last album). Fans of Uriah Heep, specifically John Lawton, should look for some LF!

Also, Pentagram comes to mind for me. They didn't really get paid attention to until the 80's, but they put out a couple rather unknown efforts in the 70's that were finally released as part of compilations ("First Daze Here" and "Human Hurricane").

Hows about some Camel?

Is it dangerous territory to bring up Frank Zappa here?

I`m totally into 70`s rock music, im even in a band playing 70`s and 80`s covers, we are having a niece level of success on weekends

Does anyone here likes Jethro Tull?? i fucking love´em

If it weren't for Led Zeppelin's 'White Summer/Black Mountain Side' and AC/DC's 'Let there be Rock', I would not be playing guitar right now. Pay your respects to our fathers of ROCK N' ROLL :headbang:

Boston
DIO
Grateful Dead
The Guess Who
Jefferson Airplane
Joe Strummer/Clash
King Crimson
Lynryd Skynyrd
Neil Young
Petra
Skid Row
Firehouse
Steely Dan (The Citizen Steely Dan Project is the epitome of 70's music for me)

Almost all of the music I was brought up on has been mentioned - being born in 1967, this is the music of my developmental ages so it has a very strong place in my heart. I used to sneak into my brothers room (he is 8 years older than I am) and go through his immense vinyl collection and steal a few discs daily to play in my room on this old console stereo system my parents had handed down to me (you remember the type that looked like an over-sized coffee table combined with a chest and you opened the center of the top and there was the turntable and controls - oh yea and the 8-track deck inside.) I used to steal Deep Purple, Rush, Emerson, Lake, & Palmer (did anyone mentione them yet?), Kansas (huge huge Kansas fan), Genesis, Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin, you name it he had it. I borrow them for a few days and then make sure I snuck them back in - he used to be very very protective over his collection. It is a very fond memory of a very great time in my life.

Great topic James!

I was born in 1975 and raised on a steady diet of Deep Purple, Queen, Aerosmith, The Scorpions, and Rush.

Oh and Abba too. My mother did have a *little* bit of influence :)
ha, i was just listening to ABBA's self-titled album from 1975 this morning... you know, the one with Mamma Mia and S.O.S..... heh heh.. funny though, my Dad was the one into ABBA, which is why i got into them.. i just got exposed so much to it as a kid. my mother only ever liked Country and Gospel.

my dad also introduced me to...

Boston
The Steve Miller Band
Billy Thorpe
The Doobie Brothers
The Cate Brothers
The Guess Who
The Bee Gees
The Alan Parsons Project
Steely Dan
KC & The Sunshine Band

... and many more, lol. just didn't mention all of them because i don't really consider them proper '70's Hard Rock, which is what i wanted to focus on in the thread.

yeah, my dad had pretty eclectic tastes back then... Rock, AOR, Disco, Pop.. and Country.

these days my dad listens only to Country, Bluegrass, and Blues.

some more goodies from back then that i've been enjoying anew..

Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush
U.K.
Blackfoot
Molly Hatchet
Boston
Brand X
Cat Stevens
Colosseum II
Dixie Dregs
Heart
Jan Akkerman
Jeff Beck
Judas Priest
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Mountain
King Crimson
Return To Forever
Saxon (their debut was released in '79)
Sparks
Trace
Yesterday & Today
ZZ Top

definitely not all Hard Rock, but it's more '70's stuff i still enjoy to this day.

Good grief. My dad's musical tastes stopped developing around 1963. Kinda weird, my older brothers weren't quite old enough to get into the 70s hard rock stuff either, so that wound up being part of my musical exploration separate from any family influence.

Weird to be the youngest in the family, and the only one who dorks out to Edgar Winter albums from 1974.

Another Southern Rock goodie is the Outlaws.

One thing i love about ZZ Top (aside the beards and the image) is that, in the 70`s they sounded like that, in the 80`s they updated their sound, they sounded fresh in the 90`s, and in 2000 they sounded heavier than ever, a classic heavy blues rock band which have the capacity to fit their sound every decade.

Oh man, I love some of the '70's stuff. I love the rawness of the recordings and some of the stuff was amazingly heavy for the early 70's.

First and foremost, UFO. Michael Schenker has always been one of my favorites from this era. Awesome melodic solos. \m/

Old Scorpions stuff is great, too. "Fly to the Rainbow" and the "In Trance" album are two of my favorites.

Old Aerosmith -- "Toys in the attic" and "Rocks" (Loved the song Nobody's Fault)

Judas Priest...

Then there were bands like Budgie that had some cool songs (later covered by Metallica as most of you know.) "Crash Course in Brain Surgery" and "Breadfan".

Some of the Robin Trower and Pat Traverse stuff was cool, as well.

I still love listening to this stuff....

Oh yeah, +1 for Edgar Winter... And Rick Derringer for that matter.

I liked some of the old Blue Oyster Cult, too.