A reason why ProgPower is REALLY SPECIAL

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
I just wanted to pass this along to everyone that's part of our community.

You all (most) may be aware of the story that touched so many people's hearts during ProgPower IV - Nightwish playing and receiving onstage a very special fan, Marc Brueland, who unfortunately isn't with us anymore.

Today we received an email from Georgene Brueland, Marc's mother. She had just read the interview I did with Marco (Hietala), where he talks about that particular story, and she wanted me to pass along this message to all of us members of ProgPower - the crew, the fans and everybody else involved with it directly or indirectly.

To Our Dear Friends at ProgPower;

Last evening Loana of Nuclear Blast USA forwarded the recent interview with Marco of Nightwish/Tarot that you posted.

It was so wonderful to see that Tarot will be performaning at ProgPower; but what was most moving was the mention of Nightwish's 2003 performance there and the reference to my son Marc's gallant appearance on stage.

It is hard to believe that September 5th it will be seven years since then, and as most of you may know we also lost Marc's father to cancer shortly thereafter.

I must admit life has been very hard for us, but we have been blessed by the love and support of Metal fans all over the world; most importantly, those at ProgPower!

Therefore, please pass this email on to all those there and know that you will always be in our hearts and our memory.

Great sucess at this years event.

God Bless,

Georgene and Erin Brueland

I really think we are all part of a special thing. This is just proof of it.

that is awesome.

however i am not familar with the story, would any care to tell me about it, it sounds awesome

ps and PPUSA is like a family, see everyone in just a matter of days

That was very touching, and it just goes to show how special this festival is and how special the people who attend it are, and also how special the performers are, they are all one of a kind. Also it should be noted how special Glenn is for putting forth the effort each and every year to bring the people, the artists to a special place where for a few days everyone can be together as one family. Thank you to all who have made this event special for me in ways you don' t know.

That was a sad, but happy event @ PPIV....
Music transcends a lot of things, and that is the only proof needed that this event IS special. The foundation was there even back at PP 1.0...:headbang:

To clear things up for those who don't know the story, Marc Brueland was a gifted artist (drawing) and DJ whose favorite band was Nightwish. He kept an online correspondence with Tuomas Holopainen for some time. Unfortunately, the young man was diagnosed with a rare form of liver cancer. Upon hearing about Nightwish's upcoming first U.S. appearance at ProgPower IV, Marc's mother (I believe) got in touch with Glenn to see if they could arrange for Marc to see the band perform and meet them in person. Glenn was happy to make the arrangement. Marc arrived in Atlanta with his mother, and at this point he was very fatigued. It was uncertain whether Marc could physically make it to the venue to watch the band. Thankfully, he made it just in time to catch their set, and he even got to make a brief appearance on stage so that the band could make a dedication to him. At the time, the audience really didn't know who he was or why the band were making a dedication to him, as Glenn didn't want to bring too much attention to the situation. The story behind Marc's appearance at the festival was told to all about a week after the festival, when it was revealed that Marc had passed away. It's a really sad ending to a bittersweet story of making a dying young man's wish come true.

On a final note, Tuomas Holopainen wrote a song for Marc entitled "Higher Than Hope," which appeared on the album "Once." If you can get your hands on a copy of the ProgPower V DVD, you can hear all about this story.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Invincible Studios, Marc's workplace has kept The Memorial page of Marc Brueland alive ever since he passed away.

AMBR also made an interview with Tuomas Holopanen in 2004 when Once was relesed and he talked about Marc and how he wrote the lyrics and Marco composed the music of "Higher Than Hope" for Marc's memory.

This is a fan-made tribute to Marc Brueland with images of him and his works and a short clip of Marc appearing on stage at PP IV included (starting at 0:52)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's when you read stuff like this and see all the people that came to RJD's memorial service you realize that "metal truly does have a heart". I swear some of the most passionate and kindest people I have met through this festival!

It was truly a sad story but also heart warming in the way that people responded to it. I remember meeting Marc in the Residence Inn before I knew what was going on with him and I wondered why anyone so obviously ill would go to ProgPower. When I saw him onstage, it became clear. BTW in the song "Higher Than Hope" it is Marc's voice in the recordings.

People ask me why I would continue going to this concert year after year and I tell them that there are always several "once in a lifetime" experiences each show.
That was one of them.
I know that all you have to do is make a time and financial commitment to be at the show, but I still feel it is an honor just to attend.

I remember this! May Marc forever rest in peace! This was my very first PPUSA experience and one that I'll never forget! That Nightwish set is still my fave PPUSA set ever! Tuomas is a saint of a man and one of my musical heroes, along with Tarja! I sure hope the rumors that there may not be a PPUSA next year are FALSE! God bless you all! Thanks for putting on such a marvelous true metal festival for us all of these years, y'all!:headbang::worship:

People ask me why I would continue going to this concert year after year and I tell them that there are always several "once in a lifetime" experiences each show.
That was one of them.
I know that all you have to do is make a time and financial commitment to be at the show, but I still feel it is an honor just to attend.
Amen! It is indeed and honor and a privilege and the pleasure is everyone's!:headbang::worship:

Invincible Studios, Marc's workplace has kept The Memorial page of Marc Brueland alive ever since he passed away.

AMBR also made an interview with Tuomas Holopanen in 2004 when Once was relesed and he talked about Marc and how he wrote the lyrics and Marco composed the music of "Higher Than Hope" for Marc's memory.

This is a fan-made tribute to Marc Brueland with images of him and his works and a short clip of Marc appearing on stage at PP IV included (starting at 0:52)

This is awesome beyond words!:worship:rock:

I sure hope the rumors that there may not be a PPUSA next year are FALSE! God bless you all! Thanks for putting on such a marvelous true metal festival for us all of these years, y'all!:headbang::worship:

Where the hell did you get that from? Glenn already has all the bands confirmed and so forth.