A thread about Michael Romeo I started on the Petrucci board

Originally posted by sweepking
Economy picking is hard to explain...I am not the most technical player around, but it is a kind of mix of alternate and sweeping. You do the up and down movement of alternate but then you smoothly move it down onto the next string on the appropriate up or down stroke. Yngvai X could probably explain it better. Michael Romeo does it a lot and does it very well. He demonstrates it on his video too. It has a very smooth, fast feel to it when it is done well. Michael Angelo does it quite a bit too I believe. Any input Yngvai?

You pretty much described it as well as I could have :). My alternate picking is not very good...economy has allowed me to do some things I couldnt with just regular alt picking, though I am working on making both better ;). Theres a knack to both types of picking, though economy, technically, allows you to play faster than straight alternate picking, since you use less pick strokes. Many, but not all, of Romeos fastest picked lines include some economy in them. As he says in his instructional vid, even in some alt picking lines which arent specific to economy, he might just economy pick two notes anyway.

Originally posted by the_satanic_rabbit
damn formatting!
Try this

-------5-7-8-7-5---------
-5-7-8-----------8-7-----
d u d d u d u d d u

Not quite. Economy would be this:

-------5-7-8-7-5---------
-5-7-8-----------8-7-5----
--------------------------8-7-5
d u d d u d u d u d u u d u

you see, its like sweeping in between alternate picking. If you're switching strings, ascending, and you've ended on a downstroke, you continue the downstroke to the next string like a sweep. And if you're switching strings and descending, and you've ended on an upstroke, you continue the upstroke to the next string like you're sweeping.

Like I've said before, I don't think Romeo has the stamina to play the solo in "Fatal Tragedy" and I don't think Petrucci has the skill t play the solo in "Sea Of Lies". But does it really matter? HELL NO!