Albums that you consider to be a band's best work...

I totally understand why Helloween fans dislike this album. It is without question a very different beast than anything else they recorded. Nonetheless, I love this disc beginning to end....

There you go. You perfectly explained my point above.
It really isn't a Helloween album, per se..........

I have been involved in many discussions on and offline regarding Helloween's discography. This is seriously a first, of 2 people claiming it to be their favorite. Though given this is a PROG power forum, I guess it makes sense.

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son
Slayer - South of Heaven
F&J - When the Storm...
Onslaught - In Search of Sanity
Metal Church - Hanging in the Balance
Forbidden - Green

OK, I know I'm going to hear no end to this..... But I have to do it. "Chameleon" actually IS my favorite Helloween disc! And I am not making this up, either! I am more a fan of the proggy side of metal than the pure power metal, and while I enjoy almost all the Helloween albums ("Pink Bubbles" just does not cut it for me, and "Walls of Jericho" was just too damn raw), "Chameleon" brought in an eccentric vibe that never reached any of their other material. "I Believe" is one of my favorite songs PERIOD.

I totally understand why Helloween fans dislike this album. It is without question a very different beast than anything else they recorded. Nonetheless, I love this disc beginning to end....

.....and let the comments begin...... :bah:

Diversity is cool. No bashing here. Check out Supared if you get the chance.

You feel this is their best disc? Interesting. I honestly didn't know anyone felt that way. Which isn't intended as a criticism of any kind. I'm just surprised.

I'd like to elaborate by saying I also think this is some of their best work. While it doesn't compare to the first Mindcrime album it is indeed one of my personal favorites also. I'vve also seen this album pop up here on the forum recently and I think it deserves mor credit than it gets.

Fair enough my friend. I did not read THIS entire thread.

Yeah, I know, no one can read everything, but you gotta admit, that was pretty funny, especially coming from you!

Sorry, Chameleon can barely be called a HELLOWEEN album. It does not even remotely reflect their core sound of all their three eras.

Agreed. It's basically three four-song solo EPs from Kiske, Weikath, and Grapow, all mashed together. But damn, it's Kiske singing his best ever and writing some incredible songs, Weikath actually writing music that was interesting to his maturing self rather than crapping out by-the-numbers power-metal anthems to fit the Helloween brand, and Grapow, well, at least he didn't wreck it.

Oh yeah, and a another +10 for Supared! What a great album.

That would be like saying DISSIDENT ALLIANCE was your favorite JAG PANZER album. That's just too far off the beaten path of what was intended by this thread.

Yeah, I kind of agree; different albums from a band can be consensus "favorites" of two independent groups of fans, if the styles are significantly divergent. Take The Gathering. 'Nighttime Birds' would qualify since it's sort of a lesser-sibling of 'Mandylion', but 'Souvenirs' might not since it's something quite different. I'm not sure if 'Chameleon' quite reaches the level where it actually has its own independent fanbase, but I get your point.

Jasonic said:
I have been involved in many discussions on and offline regarding Helloween's discography.

One of the most awesome effects the rise of the Internet had on music is that it opened us to a range of views FAR beyond what we experience in the offline world. In the pre-Internet days, we were much more convinced that certain music was "good" and certain music "sucked". We knew these were objective truths because all our friends agreed with us. But really, that was just group-think in action, and once the Internet exposed us to completely independent groups of people who had developed their own opinions from scratch, we were forced to realize that ALL music is truly just a matter of taste. For every album ever released, there is someone out there who loves it (which is perfectly exemplified by this thread!) This knowledge in turn forced everyone to be more open-minded, which is A Good Thing.

Anyhow, that just came to mind after you mentioned the offline world. Certainly surveying the offline world can be a valuable sanity-check, but in most cases, it gives you a terribly self-limited view of the wider reality.

Neil

Nightwish - Wishmaster, then Century Child
Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Deep Purple - In Rock, then Machine Head
Dio - Holy Diver, nothing he did really topped this. His greatest work.

Nightwish - Wishmaster, then Century Child
Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Deep Purple - In Rock, then Machine Head
Dio - Holy Diver, nothing he did really topped this. His greatest work.

I think you missed the point. Great albums but all those typically seem to be considered the cream of the crop amongst those bands' output.

All this talk of certain albums not being considered canon for a band's work reminded me that of the Manilla Road albums that I've heard, The Circus Maximus is my favorite. I understand -why- it wouldn't be considered a "real" MR album, and yet...

Dream Theater - Train of Thought This is not only my favorite DT album, but my favorite all-time progressive metal album. Extremely heavy, very progressive, and wild-ass playing.

Iced Earth - Glorious Burden The concept of this album makes it probably Iced Earth's progressive. The second CD with the Gettysburg trilogy is a masterpiece and actually got me very interested in the Civil War. I have probably read 20 books on the Civil War as a result.

Iron Maiden - Brave New World This is my favorite Maiden album. Heavy, progressive, and contemporary.

Metallica - Load Most fans didn't like the more hard rock approach, but I thought that the result was brilliant.

Black Sabbath - Volume IV The guitars are so down tuned on this album that the strings must have must have dragged on the floor. Supernaut just kicks royal butt. I also love the instrumental ending to Wheels of Confusion - very dramatic.