All this talk of Pretty Maids,After Forever,etc

panzermastery

May 10, 2005
Pagans Mind,and Nocturnal Rites!!!!! As far as catalog,live performance,true metal none of those bands listed can match Jag Panzer!!!!! Ample Destruction is considered one of the greatest power metal releases ever!!! And if Glenn is gonna bring somebody in why not bring GAMMA RAY!!!!!!!!!! Talk about LEGENDS and would love to come over for a headlining set!!!!!! How many times have they been to the US in the last 15 years????? NOT MUCH at all!!!!Why would anybody want to see Pretty Maids in #2 spot when there are so many better choices?????????

I would love to see Nocturnal Rites at the fest but more than anything, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Brainstorm.

I'd love to see RIOT do a show with songs from THUNDERSTEEL and PRIVILEDGE OF POWER, with that lineup.

The flight of the warrioooooooooooooooooooor!!!!

Nocturnal Rites was awesome at Powerfest this past year. In the live setting they are about as impressive of a band as I've seen in the power metal genre.

Jag Panzer is also another band I'd like to see return to Prog Power (they played PP 1). They have a couple more recent discs that I really love (Thane To The Throne, and Casting The Stones).

Pretty Maids is okay, but they are on the lighter side of things I want to listen too. I'm not sure they would go over all that well. I think the reaction to them might be about the same as what PC69 got a couple years ago.

Pagan's Mind was great live, so I wouldn't mind seeing them again. There are other bands I'd rather see though. I like Celestial Entrance a lot, but the followup didn't keep my attention all that well, and I rarely find myself playing their stuff these days.

Britt

Pretty Maids has consistantly put out quality music for over two decades...it's just a matter of what you like. I would love to see them!!!! Been a fan since I first saw Red Hot & Heavy on MTV.

WIth that said, I would love to see Pagan's Mind and Threshold as well!!!!

I like Pagan's Mind. I liked their live show at Progpower.

But how the hell can anyone say they should headline the festival?

It's insulting to a band like Virgin Steele, to be quite honest.

I'm always torn on this issue. On the one hand, I think there should be some semblance of respect given to the "tried and true" bands who have stuck to their guns over the years and produced quality products for 10 or more years....

...on the other hand, I do realize this is a buisness and you have to look at ticket sales and album sales RECENTLY. This is why we get those strange situations where Cheap Trick is opening for Smashing Pumpkins or even Sonata Arctica getting billing over Virgin Steele.

Oh well right...one of those things.

Insulting? Im sorry but IMO Pagans Mind wipes the floor with Virgin Steele in every aspect.

Best part is they have a new CD coming out September 2007 right before a certain festival.

I listened to over 10 Virgin Steele songs and yawned at every one of them before deleting them from my Hard Drive.

But, what has Virgin Steele done in the last 10-15 years? Let's face reality, peeps. Many of us were getting drunk in college when they were at their height. Some of you were wearing Underoos when they were piling on the Aqua-net. Look, let me give you another situation of a quick turnaround. In 1973, a band called Blue Oyster Cult did a major club tour. The band that opened for them was a creation of two nice Jewish boys (One was a Rabbinical scholar) from Forest Hills, NY by the names of Stanley Eisen and Chaim Yitz. The band's name? KISS.

18 months later, KISS would headline Madison Square Garden. Who would be their opening act? Blue Oyster Cult. It tells you how quickly the fortunes can change in the music business. Sonata Arctica is a very worthy headliner. They are probably a better act than Stratovarius. No question that Toni Kakko is a better singer than Timo Kotipelto. Those things said (And the fact that I have as many Sonata CD's as Nightwish CD's, including the Japanese imports), as well as the fact is that their music has made them one of the top drawer acts in the Rock/Metal world, made them a far worthier headliner for this than VS.

Peace,
Ray C.

Was it Chaim Yitz? I always thought it was Witz.

I believe so anyways. As a kid I was a HUGE Kiss fanatic.

But, what has Virgin Steele done in the last 10-15 years? Let's face reality, peeps. Many of us were getting drunk in college when they were at their height. Some of you were wearing Underoos when they were piling on the Aqua-net. Look, let me give you another situation of a quick turnaround. In 1973, a band called Blue Oyster Cult did a major club tour. The band that opened for them was a creation of two nice Jewish boys (One was a Rabbinical scholar) from Forest Hills, NY by the names of Stanley Eisen and Chaim Yitz. The band's name? KISS.

18 months later, KISS would headline Madison Square Garden. Who would be their opening act? Blue Oyster Cult. It tells you how quickly the fortunes can change in the music business. Sonata Arctica is a very worthy headliner. They are probably a better act than Stratovarius. No question that Toni Kakko is a better singer than Timo Kotipelto. Those things said (And the fact that I have as many Sonata CD's as Nightwish CD's, including the Japanese imports), as well as the fact is that their music has made them one of the top drawer acts in the Rock/Metal world, made them a far worthier headliner for this than VS.

Peace,
Ray C.

I enjoyed reading your post up to the point where you said SA was probably better than Stratovarius. Strat is a very worthy veteran band and put on a stellar show at PP VI. As for Kotipelto, he's a fantastic frontman with impressive stage presence.

I like Sonata Arctica, but they're not necessarily any more worthy than Stratovarius dude.

I would certainly not complain about either Pagan's Mind or Nocturnal Rites, but Pretty Maids havent played really any tour dates in the last 3 years and After Forever have never played the US. While PM has played the fest before and NR coheadlined Powerfest last year.

All I know is that the Sonata Arctica announcement made me feel old.

In the past, I've always had a good understanding of what a 'headliner' is, and have laughed heartily when fanboys have believed that their pet band that no one else cares about should be headlining (or even playing at) PPUSA. However, I never would have guessed that Sonata Arctica was anything more than a solid mid-slot band.

So kudos to Glenn (who is a lot older than me! :D) for staying current and recognizing what's hot *now*, because that's really hard to do!

Even more kudos to him for only developing this skill recently, which allowed him to make the "mistake" of bringing over Rage as a headliner for PPIV!

Neil

So kudos to Glenn (who is a lot older than me! :D) for staying current and recognizing what's hot *now*, because that's really hard to do!

Even more kudos to him for only developing this skill recently, which allowed him to make the "mistake" of bringing over Rage as a headliner for PPIV!

Neil

Thanks!....I think.

So is there a chance your make your triumphant return this year?

Ok, I KNOW this character is just trying to piss me off here.

Nocturnal Rites just played Chicago. If you missed them, you missed a chance.

Pretty Maids' "Future World" and "Red Hot And Heavy" are 2 of the most influential and classic metal releases EVER. Who, of all the bands in Europe, is claiming "Ample Destruction" to be a major impact on their career? Honestly. I LOVE Jag Panzer. They are the best guys in the world and I'd certainly not complain about them playing a show, but again, they've played at least 2 of the last BWBK shows. They tour around now and again.

Apparently, you missed Gamma Ray a few years ago at Progpower? Loved them. Saw them last year in Virginia. Great. See them again over a band that I've not seen? No way.

Pretty Maids 1. Have a great new cd out. 2. haven't been here for, what, 16 years? 3. Put out great releases bi-yearly for the last 20+ years. 4. are constantly in the upper echelon of bands on the European tour circuit. 5. Feature a relevent lineup that has just changed, slightly, for the first time in 16 years. Jesus Christ, what MORE can a band do to be considered for a spot at this show? And to call them a "bit light" would only be a qualifying statement if they played that aspect of their catalog. PC69 didn't do that and come off as "light". The Maids, if they played non-ballads, would be one of the heaviest melodic bands to play at PP. The fact that they remain outside of any particular genre should also be a drawing card.

If ever a band deserved one break......

I don't see Pretty Maids as being relevant to PP, personally. A little to "dated" for me as far as their material goes.

Like that set of "oldies" they just pulled out on their brand new 2006 release? Oh, that fucking melody is a dead giveaway for that baby-boomer rock. :ill: