An idea to compare our techniques

To be open for everyone regardless of the platform ("regardless" like in "PC or Mac"), I would say that every free (not demo!) plugin is permitted to use as long as it is available for both PC and Mac. We can make a list, but if somebody finds one that's not on the list and still meets this criteria, so be it.
Did I give my +1 for Reaper (not using it, but sounds as the most obvious choice by far)? Needless to say, that all impulses that get used for reverb or cabinets or whatever have to be freely available, too (or selfmade, but must be made freely available, too).
If this sounds as if this is too big of a restriction, I think it's not, because now the mixing skills are really what counts! And it would show, that even with free stuff, it is possible to do something reasonable (hopefully...). And if this project produces something interesting, everybody can take a look at it and learn (or moan or whatever), because everything is free.

That's the synthesis of what I want it to be :)

Then we would have only like 10 plugins to use. I would make it "any free vst/au is permitted".
Yes, might be, but I recently switched from Sonar to Pro Tools and had to ditch all my beloved UAD-1 plugins. At first I thought that I could never do a mix without them, but I started mixing using stock Pro Tools plugins only and got very reasonable results, because I had to get the most out of them and really tried, because I did not have any choice.
For a "reasonable" mix, I could live with some (not totally sucking) EQ, compressor, delay plugins (Reaper comes with those), a convolution reverb (free algo-reverbs suck big time IMHO) and a limiter. For a "cool" mix, I would need a saturator, a "mojo"-track-compressor, a buss-compressor, a limiter and a good reverb.

But "everyone" (like me) don't want to learn yet another DAW.
Additionally to the main Full-Free/Reaper-League we could open another use-what-you-want-and-see-if-you-can-do-better-League. The full-free/reaper guys mix with reaper/free stuff only and the guys from the use-what-you-want-and-see-if-you-can-do-better-League can show us how much better it will sound with lotsa $$-plugins ;-) Not meant fully ironically, I really think that this could add some spice to the "competition".

I'm totally down for this. I don't think people should be forced to use the same DAW - because honestly that will have the least impact. I think a SET list of plugins, and getting everyone participating to use ONLY those plugins would be great (no daw based plugs).

I think it would be fine if u post them as wav files and then we can just use whatever DAW were are individually using as it can also give people a bit of insight about the results of what projects can end up mastered like in different DAW's. Then again the DAW is about 5% of the final result.... the rest is what u put in

I'm totally down for this. I don't think people should be forced to use the same DAW - because honestly that will have the least impact. I think a SET list of plugins, and getting everyone participating to use ONLY those plugins would be great (no daw based plugs).
It's not about the impact of the DAW, it's about publishing our results and let others take a look at them easily.
But if we cannot agree to the same DAW, I like your idea of using only free and non-daw-based plugins. So we can talk about what we did and everybody is at least able to reproduce everything we are talking about.

But if you own the UAD-1, just download this for free and you have delay compensation:

http://www.uaudio.com/support/uad/rtas.html#ATA

Mellowmuse ATA - Automatic Latency Compensation for Pro Tools LE & Pro Tools M-Powered

The Mellowmuse Auto Time Adjuster ("ATA") plug-in is now bundled in the UAD installer since v5.2.0. The ATA enables automatic plug-in delay compensation in Pro Tools LE & Pro Tools M-Powered for UAD (and non-UAD) plug-ins with just a few clicks. The plug-in is placed into the Digidesign Plug-Ins folder when the RTAS option is specified during UAD installation. Detailed product information: http://www.mellowmuse.com/ATA.html

Mellowmuse ATA is FREE and fully licensed for UAD-2 users; it replaces the UAD DelayComp and UAD TrackAdv plug-ins which have been discontinued for UAD-2.
Note: A UAD-2 card must be installed for the free license. With UAD-1-only systems, the ATA runs in demo mode. By special arrangement with Mellowmuse, UAD-1 users can purchase ATA at a discount using the link below.

btw, I noticed that I don't have any good free compressor on me for this kind of thing. I do have some, but for example the GVST compressors have too short attack time (10ms max) and the Kjaerhus doesn't have a proper gain reduction indicator and I think the Buzroom Grancomp just sounds too transparent and the Fish Fillets is too weird.

I am looking for something very simple and and decent sounding (threshold, ratio, attack, release, makeup gain and gain reduction meters in dB's), like Waves Renessaince compressor from the Waves Musicians bundle 2? Any suggestions?

Don't want to hijack this thread, but thanx to ahjteam for the ATA info. I knew that already but I am not willing to fiddle around with extra tools to compensate a major flaw in Pro Tools LE. I am currently evaluating, if PT works for me with mixed results...

right chaps - someone just has to take over, set the rules, set the plugins and set the tracks so we can get on with this! i vote..."ahjteam" because his pic of his doggie is sooo cute!

ahem...yea! so we gona get crackin on this or what?

I dig the blockfish compressor. It's not a too much transparent one but it sounds good for many things.

Yeah we can start set the rules. First, it seems that Reaper is the best choice of course. We could say you are free to choose your own DAW or Reaper, but just know that with reaper you would be able to open other ones projets (excepted if different ones use the same other DAW).

Know that we would anyway need that somebody records the song. I suggest a cool cover but that's not mandatory. It should be a good example of the average metal song : saturated guitars, metronomic drums, a solo, a heavy bass. Why not a few samples if it's a modern song includind some little synth (a la in flames or arch enemy).

I checked the list of plugins upper, blockfish ones are also OSX if I remember well. Kjhareus are really cool but only VST... As many of other plugins.

I'm gonna edit my first post so we can check at any moment where we are in the process. I'm currently finishing mixing your song mick hehe and then I'll check what plugins are OSX compatible.

right chaps - someone just has to take over, set the rules, set the plugins and set the tracks so we can get on with this! i vote..."ahjteam" because his pic of his doggie is sooo cute!

I have no cute doggie in my avatar, but I have a track to offer. It's a metal track with 4 guitars, doubled vocals (sometimes), bass and a very little bit of keyboards. Drums are EZDrummer, Guitars are Marshall 30th anniversary + impulses, Bass is Line6 Toneport, Vocals are sung by myself and something is just copied (so everybody who wants to sing, you're invited! Same with bass...).
If nobody comes up with something better, I can export the individual tracks and make a basic project (without mixing) in Reaper (this track is done in Pro Tools currently).
The rules will be: Use whatever DAW you want (preferably Reaper), but use free plugins (preferably those available on VST and AU) only, so others are able to replicate what you did.
For starters, we could see who comes up with the best sounding EZDrummer mix (I will print the individual EZD tracks, too).
Here is an MP3 for previewing the track: RiF - Step Back

How about this: We try to simulate a real mixing scenario, where a band has tracked their song and is interested in you to mix it. You send them a sample first to see if they want to groove with you.

We need a multitrack a hard rock or metal clip (if it is not black metal and it grooves, its always a plus) in 30-90 seconds of length. It can be an existing project (remember to ask permission from everyone involved) or can be done just for this exhibition purposes too. We need the multitracks with:
- real miced drums (no sample drums because they are already processed to sound good and have no real challenge), the clip must have toms in it
- bass (atleast DI, miced amp is a bonus)
- atleast double tracked rhythm guitar (DI track is a plus)
- a lead guitar or lead keyboard
- lead vocals (backing vocals are optional)
- any extra instruments are welcome

DAW and plugins :
- The DAW of preference for this exhibition is Reaper (download: http://www.reaper.fm). You can use all native plugins and the plugins it is bundled with.
- Alternatively you can use any other DAW you want, but you are not allowed to use its native plugins
- You can use ANY VST/AU plugin that is freely distributed by the developer.
- You are not allowed to use commercial plugins and that includes trial&demo versions and pirated ones.
- Tune editing is only allowed if done with free plugins, but highly discouraged
- Drum replacement is only allowed if it is done with free plugins and the samples also must be freely distributed (sources required)

Additional restrictions and rules:
- This exhibition is about mixing, not mastering, so aim your RMS as close as possible to -15dB RMS or less! -15dB RMS is not too quiet, but it is not too loud either (for reference levels Metallicas 'Enter Sandman' has -15dB RMS). Free frequency analyzer plugin with RMS metering (Voxengo SPAN) is available at www.voxengo.com
- This exhibition is still about mixing, not editing, so time editing of the clips is not allowed. You are not allowed to "hard edit"/"destructively edit" the tracks either (where the plugins are applied straight to the tracks). Silence stripping is allowed

Results:
- You must post an mp3 of the song (192kbps or better)
- Take screenshot(s) of your mixer window where we can see all the plugins used (cubase example, protools example, reaper example anyone wanna take better reaper example screenshot?). You do not need to reveal plugin settings. Take multiple pictures if all the channels cant fit your screen.
- Project file is optional

The exhibition starts at the very moment when we get the tracks and we shall start a new thread with it.