Vocal Editing Techniques

i offer a complimentary 30pack with each session as a marketing incentive/promotion. however, it's long gone by the time we're ready to track vox.

EDIT: and if it's a straightedge band, i'll just drink the whole thing myself.

When a vocalist has a cool vibrato.. I like to bring it out by using Melodyne.. cutting a long note into three parts. The first part is the transient, left untouched, second part is completely static pitch, just a straight line, and then the 3rd part is the vibrato which you can use Melodyne to exaggerate slightly. They have to sing it like this first, then you just use Melodyne to exaggerate it a bit.

You can hear that here: pain and "feeeeeeaaaar" right at the start.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/01 PaleBlueEyes.mp3

interesting thought! though i think it sounds a little too fake... but in some cases it could work wonders, i guess.

For a uneven singer that has the mic handheld it can become fairly large dBs from take to take. How much volume automation do you guys do pre-compressions?
If it's a softer part in the song do you still automate it so it's even with the strongest parts(still pre-compression)?

For a uneven singer that has the mic handheld it can become fairly large dBs from take to take. How much volume automation do you guys do pre-compressions?
If it's a softer part in the song do you still automate it so it's even with the strongest parts(still pre-compression)?

i automate post compression -
i squash the vocals with la2a and 1176 - and then bring back the dynamics by automation. never thought about precompression automation... i think its kind of counterproductive - isnt it?

i automate post compression -
i squash the vocals with la2a and 1176 - and then bring back the dynamics by automation. never thought about precompression automation... i think its kind of counterproductive - isnt it?

Agreed, it's probably a better idea to automate post-compression. Otherwise, the compression will change all of your volume automation anyway.

The point was to edit the takes as even as possible so the compressor doesn't need to work as hard to get the same results. But it apparently doesn't seem to be a normal procedure.

The point was to edit the takes as even as possible so the compressor doesn't need to work as hard to get the same results. But it apparently doesn't seem to be a normal procedure.

Are you talking about a singer who's dynamics are all over the place? Or just the difference between loud parts and soft parts? If its the latter, just boost the preamp gain when you're recording. If the former, just lots of compression I think.