Anathema: I'm thrilled beyond words...

That Riverside, my first PP actually, show was totally stunning. Mariusz asking us to hum an A for him so that he could re-tune between songs remains a very fond memory.

I also might go back an album to "A Natural Disaster", which was my first Anathema album and definitely was the start into this direction for them. The title track always gets me.

Uh oh, don't be posting Anathema songs with Anneke van Giersbergen doing vocals! Then people will just be disappointed when it's (still-good-but-no-one-is-as-good-as-Anneke) Lee Douglas on vocals in Atlanta. And then Glenn will start kicking himself for not getting 'A Gathering Storm' on the bill, which, along with Anathema+Anneke collaboration possibilities, would have brought some pseudo-Ayreon to the fest.

Oops, I did it too! :loco:

Last edited by a moderator:
That Riverside, my first PP actually, show was totally stunning. Mariusz asking us to hum an A for him so that he could re-tune between songs remains a very fond memory.

Agreed. That was my first PP as well. I'm very stoked for this Anathema set. Been wanting to see them for years. They write some of the most beautiful music out there.

I'm not worried about that in the least. I'd point out that several said the place would empty out for Pain of Salvation's set and it remained completely packed. Riverside's first trip here was met with one of the best reactions of that year as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true regarding Anathema vs rest of the roster as seven years ago with Riverside:

Whether you like them [Riverside] or not, you cannot deny their massive crossover appeal. They actually sell more records in the States in the past few years than all of the ones I have just listed *combined.*

Uh oh, don't be posting Anathema songs with Anneke van Giersbergen doing vocals!

She does have this habit of making bands better just from her presence, doesn't she? She makes Devin Townsend more awesome, she makes Danny Cavanagh more awesome and she even made Within Temptation slightly more awesome.

Not going to diss Lee, because she's great on these albums.

Uh oh, don't be posting Anathema songs with Anneke van Giersbergen doing vocals! Then people will just be disappointed when it's (still-good-but-no-one-is-as-good-as-Anneke) Lee Douglas on vocals in Atlanta. And then Glenn will start kicking himself for not getting 'A Gathering Storm' on the bill, which, along with Anathema+Anneke collaboration possibilities, would have brought some pseudo-Ayreon to the fest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFKmS_t4qck

Oops, I did it too! :loco:

She just stands there nonchalantly delivering that kind of performance. Sheesh...such skill and talent in that woman. That's a beautiful piece.

Even with the new pit size, the place was full for PoS. Maybe those Power metal fans have a copy of Remedy Lane under their mattress?

I just watched the Universal Blu Ray a few nights ago and loved it. Excited for that acoustic show.

I am extremely excited to see them.

I was at the Masquerade, seeing Crowbar-- warm, happy pit in my stomach, watching Windstein and company slug it out when I got the text with next year's lineup. My Crowbar warm fuzzies immediately disappeared and I couldn't focus on anything else-- except Anathema.

Me and my buddy Kelly were stoked beyond belief when they were announced. We both got to see them for the first time on the Prog Nation cruise. She's hoping like hell she gets to be their sponsor. And as I said in other threads I hugged Glenn Saturday morning at Seventh Wonder for getting them. I should've hugged him again when he announced the gold badge show they were doing for FREE, but that might have been too much. :p

As far as anyone looking to get into their catalogue they've changed quite a bit, but just work backwards to about Judgment for where they really started to change. In particular they play a lot from the three albums preceding Distant Satellites. Their catalogue before Judgment is also worth checking out for a different era of the band though they don't play material from it. The blu-ray of Universal is beautifully done if you want a video performance.

I actually prefer the new era in this order:

1. Weather Systems (The video clip is from this)
2. We're Here Because We're Here
3. Distant Satellites

You cannot go wrong with any of them. However, Distant Satellites may throw you a bit towards the end as they incorporate a bit of electronica.

thanks, Glenn. i'm so far totally digging what I know of these guys and um...the more I am listening, the more I am loving :)

She does have this habit of making bands better just from her presence, doesn't she? She makes Devin Townsend more awesome, she makes Danny Cavanagh more awesome and she even made Within Temptation slightly more awesome.

Indeed. Having Anneke in some form or fashion on the ProgPower stage is at the very top of my wishlist. If there's a 2016 and beyond, I really hope A Gathering Storm or Devin w/ Anneke will somehow make the cut at some point.

- Chris

A suggestion for everyone? Blind purchase their "Universal" Blu Ray. It's a Top 3 Live DVD/BluRay ever for me. It's THAT good. Untouchable pt 1 and 2 will bring a lot of tears to people next year, this guy here included.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Glenn! I approached you on Saturday wearing my Anathema shirt and can't thank you enough for bringing them to ProgPower. They are one of my "white whale" groups that I have never had the opportunity to catch live.

I have been a fan from the Silent Enigma days and have every one of their releases.

The evolution of the group is stunning: doom/death to where they are today.

Their releases could almost follow a range of emotions/stages we all feel/enact: Anger, Fear, Hopelessness, Depression, Healing, Recovery, Enlightenment, Love, Surrendering

My connection with their music is so strong that certain songs (Forgotten Hopes, Are You There, Angels Walk Among Us, and Untouchable notably) elicit such emotions unlike any other band. I fully expect tears of joy during their performance...

Cheers

A suggestion for everyone? Blind purchase their "Universal" Blu Ray. It's a Top 3 Live DVD/BluRay ever for me. It's THAT good. Untouchable pt 1 and 2 will bring a lot of tears to people next year, this guy here included.

Yes it is absolutely beautifully done. :worship:

I'm not worried about that in the least. I'd point out that several said the place would empty out for Pain of Salvation's set and it remained completely packed. Riverside's first trip here was met with one of the best reactions of that year as well.

I agree, both shows had oustanding participation and response. I hope for the same with Anathema. Thanks again for getting them!

Simple case of wrong frame of mind when I first heard it. It happens on a lot of discs. It can take as little as 1 more listen or a few before a new world opens up for me.

I had the exact same reaction. Then one day I was having a conversation with Diego Cafolla (of Kingcrow) in which he was telling me about his love for Anathema and I scoffed at him so he sent me this video and I was instantly hooked.