Anathema: I'm thrilled beyond words...

Anathema STOLE THE SHOW at Progressive Nation at Sea. I am looking forward to seeing them again at PP!!!!!

This was certainly one of the most exciting announcements for me in quite awhile. I really dig these guys but can't help to wonder how it is going to hold a lot of attention. Hell as much prog and avant garde as I'm into it is still difficult for it to hold my attention live. Needless to say it will be interesting.
Now what would be even more interesting and yes it would be funny is if they just played stuff from the first couple of albums.
This is the one for me on next years line-up, and well the Royal Hunt will be cool too,

Weather Systems is easily one of the best albums I've ever heard. If played in the right context their music can bring most anyone to tears. I can't imagine a better atmosphere to see them in than Progpower. I am thinking there will be a lot of watery eyed fully grown men on Friday night.

I just listened to Distant Satellites. There's just no reaction I can sum up how I feel about this album that surpasses this:

pXCtEmo.gif

In a good way. I'm blown away. This is going to be a band, I think, that people aren't going to get if their stuff sounds like this, but oh my god yes.

I actually prefer the new era in this order:

1. Weather Systems (The video clip is from this)
2. We're Here Because We're Here
3. Distant Satellites

You cannot go wrong with any of them. However, Distant Satellites may throw you a bit towards the end as they incorporate a bit of electronica.

I am with you on this. I like their older stuff, but the new material is the best they've ever done.

I like each period better than the previous one. It's the only band I know that has continually progressed since the beginning of their career.

Distant Satellites + Weather + We're Here >>> A Natural Disaster + A Fine Day to Exit >>> Judgment + Alternative 4 >>>> Eternity, etc..

I have to check out their later stuff. I largely lost track of them after their 7 year hiatus, and have only listened to a couple songs here and there of their more recent material. It sounds like these may be the kind of albums you just need to sit down and listen to straight through, though.

I like each period better than the previous one. It's the only band I know that has continually progressed since the beginning of their career.

I'm only familiar with the Alternative 4 era of Anathema, but what I see of this evolution in their sound reminds me a bit of what happened with Amorphis - starting out good, and then just gathering more awesomeness as they went along. Sure, older fans got alienated, but they probably replaced with more than they lost.

I totally forgot the association of Danny Cavanagh and Anathema :Spin:. Loved his live album with Anneke. Friday seems to be stacking up nicely between something I know I'll love (Voyager) and two bands that should be pretty awesome following in Falconer and Anathema.

Anathema was a bucket list band for me for years, and I was finally was able to see them on the ProgNation 2014 cruise. I watched both sets, and was in tears both times. I am still in shock that I will get to see them again, playing in the headliner slot no less. When I try to tell people what this band, their music, the words...what it all means to me...I just can't. There are no words.

I will be in the venue for their set. Watching in awe, probably crying.

Am I missing something? I don't mean this to sound negative, because a lot of people seem to be excited to see them, but are they at all prog or power or even metal anymore? All of these clips sound very alternative mellow, more like Radiohead than metal. Am I missing anything? Just trying to figure out what to realistically expect.

Maybe it's a girl metalhead thing. ;)

Nope. I'm a somewhat burly dude and my count of wet eyeballs at PPUSA stands at 4. Redemption doing Parker's Eyes with the big screen, Seventh Wonder doing Tears for a Father, and Daniel's brutal 1-2 of the saddest and most beautiful songs back to back, A Trace of Blood and This Heart of Mine (I Pledge).

Am I missing something? I don't mean this to sound negative, because a lot of people seem to be excited to see them, but are they at all prog or power or even metal anymore? All of these clips sound very alternative mellow, more like Radiohead than metal. Am I missing anything? Just trying to figure out what to realistically expect.

What to realistically expect is the clips in this thread. Other than a little electronica they're not similar are at all. Radiohead can't touch this band. Just watch Untouchable all the way through that's the style you're going to get.

It's not about being prog, power, or even metal although they their roots are in the doom scene. It's all about the emotion and feel, especially in the lyrical department. It's some of the most uplifting music I have ever heard. I don't think Pain of Salvation's "This Heart of Mine" qualifies as prog/power/metal, but the audience was mesmerized this year during it. It was truly a moment. Same for "Tears for a Father" from Seventh Wonder. Those songs hit you in the gut.

And for the record, they most certainly are intellecutal prog...just not the wanky, masturbatory kind.

"Universal" is the best live blu-ray I own from any band. If you cannot get into that, then you will never get into the band.

So absolutely true. It cannot be stated enough how well done the Universal blu-ray is. Then again it was shot by Lasse Hoile who does all of Porcupine Tree's videos. And he has done videos for Opeth as well. That right there tells you the quality of it.

I had that reservation about Riverside live, myself, but never even considered skipping out. If Riverside can make their brand of music an engaging show then I've no doubt Anathema can as well. After all...you don't get this kind of excitement out of this crew for nothing.