Any suggestions for M-T week of Progpower?

ICEDEARTHFAN

IN MEMORY.....
Sep 24, 2008
Northeast Alabama
My wife and I probably will not be making it to the Thursday showcase show.I talked her into giving 2 nights of her life to my kind of music,she won't give up 3 just yet.Hopefully the 2 nights will make her a fan.Does anybody have any ideas on something to do that Thursday night? I'd like to make that a day for her so the trip isn't all about me.She loves any kind of show that involves old-timey things or broadway shows.I'm sure there is a lot of things she would be interested in doing.I just don't have a clue about Atlanta other than the Braves and Progpower.
On a side note to Glenn and anybody involved in the Showcase.This is not a knock or dis.I would love to come to that show regardlesss of the headliner.I just don't want to push my luck with my wife.2 nights of music she has never really listened to was good enough for her first time for me.I have to take baby steps with her:) Hopefully with the months leading up to Progpower I can change her mind by simply letting her listen to some CDs by the bands that will be there and sway her into that Thursday show.
Thanks

Fox Theater doesn't have a schedule for that far out yet but it's probably the first place to check if there's a tour there. Two years ago they had Les Miz or Phantom there. This year Chicago was there.

http://www.foxtheatre.org/

Edit: Actually, I just checked their group sales. Blue Man Group will be there September 7-12

You can go to DragonCon o during the day that Monday. Don't know anything going on Tuesday, as its a long way off, but there's plenty to do in Atlanta. You can go to the Wild Wing in Alpharetta on Thursday for some 'metal' (lots of hair stuff) karaoke. Metalsome Inc. is very talented, and pretty much plays things as on CD. As for the singing quality... it just depends.

Yes, you can't go wrong with the Aquarium. That place is impressive. Took my wife and kid there last year when we were there for Prog Power.
You can kill a few hours there for sure.

Or if you want to explore the whole state, There is the NE Ga Mountains, lots of paths to walk, waterfalls, etc... 1 1/2-2 from ATL

The Aquarium is very unimpressive. Tons of meeting room space, with some animals. The big tank is kind of cool, but not worth the price of admission. I guess they are getting a dolphin show in. Which is a terrible thing. Dolphin captivity is cruelty. Same with the beluga whales and whale sharks. The place is a death machine for these animals. And it has little to do with actual conservation or species revival plans.

As someone mentioned, Dragon*Con's last day is on that Monday. It's a multi-genre convention (SF, fantasy, comics, gaming, art, and lots more) that now draws at least 35,000 people. Monday is the "chill-down" day but there's still a lot going on and the dealers' and exhibitors' halls are open 'til 2 or 3pm.

Here's the guestlist so far....

To get an idea of the diverse programming, click on "Fan Tracks" in the left-side pane.

As someone mentioned, Dragon*Con's last day is on that Monday. It's a multi-genre convention (SF, fantasy, comics, gaming, art, and lots more) that now draws at least 35,000 people. Monday is the "chill-down" day but there's still a lot going on and the dealers' and exhibitors' halls are open 'til 2 or 3pm.

Here's the guestlist so far....

To get an idea of the diverse programming, click on "Fan Tracks" in the left-side pane.

I've made an edit to your site from:

It was Marina's portrayal of Deana Troi, the psychic counselor, for seven years on the series Star Trek: The Next Generation, as well as in the Star Trek feature films, that has brought her legions of fans throughout the galaxy.

to

It was Marina's breasts (as shown in her portrayal of Deana Troi, the psychic counselor, for seven years on the series Star Trek: The Next Generation, as well as in the Star Trek feature films), that has brought her legions of fans throughout the galaxy.

We are probably going to arrive in ATL the weekend before PP - might as well get the first couple of hangovers out of the way.
In looking for things to do we noticed that:
Nascar race Sunday before PP
Both U of GA and GaTech have home games the saturday prior (opening games for both schools, sacrifice games but hey it's still college football)
There's apparently some cool supposedly haunted places to check out/stay at.

RHETT FORRESTERS GRAVE - I absolutely have to pay my respects to the man this year dangit. Favorite period for me for Riot as a band were his couple of albums.

Didn't know about DragonCon - may have to check that out for a day or so, will have to do some poking around the website and see more of what it's about. Thanks for posting that. Still never been to CNN, Coke Museum or Aquarium or Six Flags, but I THINK Six Flags will be open for Labor Day Weekend.

The Millennium Gate over in Atlantic Station has opened up, it has an Art Gallery, there's also the High Museum, which has discounts on Thursdays (I think), both within walking distance of the hotels and venue. Botanical Gardens are a walk through the back neighborhood, behind the RI, which is a historical neighborhood. Really nice houses and a few Antebellum houses. If you can drive, Stone Mountain park also has some nice hiking and historical stuffs. Cyclorama is also a short drive, over by the zoo in the Grant Park area.

Hey Pellaz (who I think goes to this every year) or anyone else that attends, when do they announce a "schedule" - I am considering hitting this but would like to know who is speaking/performing at what times, because I am pretty sure I would probably only hit one or maybe two days max, and not for the whole day. It would however be kinda cool to run into some of the people on that guest list though, or hear them speak, get autographs or pics - especially as Jillynne is a star trek geek, so if I could bring something back for her from one of those peeps, she'd be happy.

I'm also looking for things to do, since I'm going to be driving down with the family after ProgDay in NC. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to show up in Atlanta immediately or if I'm going to tool around the countryside and look for stuff outside Atlanta to do until at least Wed. It is going to be tough keeping the 4-year-old entertained....

Why has no one mentioned the Zoo? Zoo Atlanta has the largest collection of orangutan in North America, is one of only four zoos in the country with giant pandas, and spends a TON of time and money and manpower on actual conservation research and species survival programs. They even participate in captive breeding of golden lion tamarins for release back into the wild. Zoo Atlanta does NOT bring in dolphin slaves in order to give greedy people a "show" with "neat tricks" <cough> or whale sharks which always seem to mysteriously suffer and die in captivity.

That said. There's the Coke museum, DragonCon, Stone Mountain, Kennesaw Mountain, the Botanical Gardens and some good hiking farther north!

I've made an edit to your site from:

It was Marina's portrayal of Deana Troi, the psychic counselor, for seven years on the series Star Trek: The Next Generation, as well as in the Star Trek feature films, that has brought her legions of fans throughout the galaxy.

to

It was Marina's breasts (as shown in her portrayal of Deana Troi, the psychic counselor, for seven years on the series Star Trek: The Next Generation, as well as in the Star Trek feature films), that has brought her legions of fans throughout the galaxy.

I haven't been the webmaster for Dragon*Con in several years....but I can't really argue with that editorial change. :lol:

Didn't know about DragonCon - may have to check that out for a day or so, will have to do some poking around the website and see more of what it's about. Thanks for posting that.

This far out, there are a lot of details that haven't been added to the site, but to get an idea, you can search online for DragonCon photos, or on YouTube for DragonCon videos. A lot of the costume work is drop-dead astonishing. Sadly, you'll miss the parade, which is normally held on Saturday morning between downtown to the convention's host hotels.

Still never been to CNN, Coke Museum or Aquarium or Six Flags, but I THINK Six Flags will be open for Labor Day Weekend.

Yep, Six Flags should be open that weekend...probably very busy, though. :( (Six Flags was my first job ever, at 16.)

Hey Pellaz (who I think goes to this every year) or anyone else that attends, when do they announce a "schedule" - I am considering hitting this but would like to know who is speaking/performing at what times, because I am pretty sure I would probably only hit one or maybe two days max, and not for the whole day. It would however be kinda cool to run into some of the people on that guest list though, or hear them speak, get autographs or pics - especially as Jillynne is a star trek geek, so if I could bring something back for her from one of those peeps, she'd be happy.

Yeah, I'm there every year. I'm a director. :)

The full schedule won't be up until around a month before the convention, but most of the attending guests will have tables set up for autographing in the "Walk of Fame" area and are there pretty often. (The bigger names will charge for autographs...sucks, but that's how some of them pay their bills nowadays.) Preliminary schedules for many of the programming tracks -- including our own Derek Ruthven's highly-regarded Dark Fantasy and Horror track -- will be posted on their sites before then.