Ark - Aradiokaos (2010)

I love Jorn, but I also love Macaluso and Ostby. Macaluso is right there with Zonder for me when it comes to drumming. Ostby is god. So I will always buy whatever either musician puts out. Oh, Coven's bass on Ark is killer too by the way...

Besides, so much stuff Jorn has done in other bands or solo was mediocre at best. He's a great singer, no doubt. But he's no writer.

I LOVE Macaluso's skills. Not only in Ark but in Riot and the countless other projects hes been in (not forgetting his great solo CD). I am a drummer myself and hold him in the highest regard. Tore is amazing as well! But Ark was John, Tore, and Jorn. Its the way it was and anything else would tarnish that reputation for me. I feel the exact same way with Accept without UDO. I think its a cash grab, I think this is also unfortunately.

But Ark was John, Tore, and Jorn. Its the way it was and anything else would tarnish that reputation for me.
They don't actually have a reputation beyond this tiny little scene we all love to discuss. A quality release will enhance their reputation, a bad release will be dismissed as not being the real Ark, and have no impact on their reputation.

I feel the exact same way with Accept without UDO.
Accept is an established band, with a very unique singer, with an established history, that's been allowed time to cement over decades. Ark is none of these things.

I think its a cash grab, I think this is also unfortunately.
I'm not sure it can be considered a "cash grab" if there's no cash to grab.

Zod

I'm not sure it can be considered a "cash grab" if there's no cash to grab.

It's closer to Kenny from South Park in the chamber with the flying soup cans.....

I love Jorn's voice, but Ark to me was more about Tore Ostby than anyone else. His style is far more unique than Jorn's ever has been......

Sure, cause Ark is going to go out and sell hundreds of thousands of records and make so much money right?

Incredible.

Hundreds of thousands of records? Naaah.

Making good money? In France and Japan? Hell yeah! They were "big" in France before they stopped - really selling a strong amount of albums there.

As it often is on this board, people have a distorted opinion on what's "big" and what's not.

Most often people think that because a band is wellknown in the power/prog genre, they must be big everywhere.

However, and this is a case of this, sometimes people tend to forget that if a band makes it in one territory, that territory/country is actually enough to fully pay for recordings and touring. So, sometimes it doesn't matter if you're not selling a ton of discs worldwide, as long as you break it one place. Ark was very close to breaking commercially into France before they quit.

c.

To say that I ever questioned Tore Ostby as a great guitarist is FALSE. I never said that and wouldn't even think to say it because it is not true. What made Ark great were the combined efforts of the three members and what they individually brought to the table. You may agree or disagree with me and that's fine. But when you single out one player when this trio was a total collaborative effort on an epic scale. I will heartily disagree. I think Tore is fantasic. I met and talked to him personally when he played the pre-party with DC Cooper. But I am sorry to say he neither made or carried the band.