Best instrumental metal albums?

1.Vinnie Moore Time Odyssey
2.Vinnie Moore Minds Eye
3.Joe Tafolla Out of the Sun
4.Jason Becker Perpetual Burn
5.Marty Friedman Dragons Kiss
6.Liquid Tension (both discs)
7.Racer X Scarified (yeah I know its only a song)
8.Yngwie Malmsteen Rising Force

Almost forgot David Chastains instrumental discs ELEGANT SEDUCTION and INSTRUMENTAL VARIATIONS...Chastain could be sloppy,but some of his ideas were incredibly tasty

Can someone educate me further on O2'L (Al & Jane Pitrelli)?

O2’L has 2 CDs: a self-titled debut and a followup called “Doyle’s Brunch.” The music is a little hard to categorize, except to say that it’s not metal. It’s very heavily jazz / new-age influenced, with a good dose of rock and funk thrown in. You can check out samples on their web site at O'2L - Official Site.

I’m hoping to travel to one of the live shows in 2007, as I’ve heard that they put on an amazing performance...accompanied by a few of their TSO West compadres.

Pick a Satriani album. Any Satriani album. I'm very partial to "The Extremist".

Steve in Philly

Beat me to it ;)

Joe Satriani - "The Extremist"
Liquid Tension Experiment - "Liquid Tension Experiment 2"
Bozzio/Levin/Stevens - "Situation Dangerous"
Gordian Knot - "Emergent"
Tony MacAlpine - "Maximum Security"
Steve Vai - "Passion & Warfare"
Kiko Loureiro - "No Gravity"
Chris Poland - "Return To Metalopolis"
Spastic Ink - "Ink Complete"
Derek Sherinian - "Mythology"
Rick Wakeman - "The Six Wives of Henry VIII"
Goblin - "Suspiria"

and honorable commendation to (almost completely instrumental):

Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "Rising Force"
James Murphy - "Convergence"

Got a new one that is simply freakin awesome...Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes...My god this guy puts the neo in neoclassical shreddy fusion...

Bear

1.Vinnie Moore Time Odyssey
2.Vinnie Moore Minds Eye
3.Joe Tafolla Out of the Sun
4.Jason Becker Perpetual Burn
5.Marty Friedman Dragons Kiss
6.Liquid Tension (both discs)
7.Racer X Scarified (yeah I know its only a song)
8.Yngwie Malmsteen Rising Force

Cool list, another Joey Tafolla fan! Unfortunately OUT OF THE SUN was pretty much overlooked in its day because of all the shred albums coming out at the time. I was going to list RISING FORCE but didn't since it has some vocal stuff on it, still contains some of the best metal instrumentals ever, and I'd love to hear an entire album of stuff like "Scarified" - :Smokin:

Got a new one that is simply freakin awesome...Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes...My god this guy puts the neo in neoclassical shreddy fusion...

Bear

He is good, I like his instructional columns in England's "Guitar Techniques" magazine...

1. Liquid Tension Experiment--Self-titled
2. Steve Vai--Passion And Warfare (I would pick The Ultra Zone, but half of the songs have vocals)
3. Joe Satriani--Surfing With The Alien (I would pick Flying In A Blue Dream, but...see Steve Vai)
4. Jason Becker--Perpetual Burn
5. Tony MacAlpine--Edge Of Insanity
6. Greg Howe--Self-titled
7. Vinnie Moore--Mind's Eye
8. Marty Friedman--Music For Speeding
9. Richie Kotzen--Self-titled
10. Planet X--Universe

Scarified...awesome! I have a version I believe was done by the guitarist from Fragile Vastness which is killer.
About Joey Tafolla...what happened to his career after Out of...? Infra-Blue and Plastic both sucked,even though you can hear how talented Mr Tafolla is

if your into non metal but still amazing instrumental cds

the cds,
kenso - ken-son-gu-su
takashi matsamuto - hana
tribal tech - reality check
are 3 of my fav cds of all time, incredible guitar work on each

for metal id say

richie kotzen/greg howe - tilt
planet x - moonbabies (sorry but this cd destroyed the cd universe by a long shot)
cosmosquad - squadrophenia (scott henderson guitars here and w/ tribal tech as well)
and as many others have said, joe satriani cds are all amazing besides like maybe one.

also the advent children soundtrack is fucking awesome, nobuo (the guy who does the music for almost every final fantasy) is really a genius IMO.

ya know a cd doesnt have to be metal to be kick ass, i think some of the best music in the world isn't metal.

give me a shout on aim if ya like the ones i listed

Scarified...awesome! I have a version I believe was done by the guitarist from Fragile Vastness which is killer.
About Joey Tafolla...what happened to his career after Out of...? Infra-Blue and Plastic both sucked,even though you can hear how talented Mr Tafolla is

I quite liked INFRA-BLUE even though he went in a different direction
than OUT OF THE SUN; I never could get into PLASTIC . I keep waiting
for him to update his website but it has been years with the same "Coming
Soon" message up there so who knows? He is probably teaching and working on new material but I don't know that for sure...