Best release by an 80s band... from this past decade?

The one that I have personally enjoyed the most is...

Testament - The Formation of Damnation

The 80s thrash bands seem to be better at recapturing their old sound as opposed to the 80s hard rock bands. For the most part, current releases from 80s hard rock bands sound like crap.

~Brian~

The one that I have personally enjoyed the most is...

The 80s thrash bands seem to be better at recapturing their old sound as opposed to the 80s hard rock bands. For the most part, current releases from 80s hard rock bands sound like crap.

~Brian~

LOVE this band,and this album!!!!!!!

Noteworthy.

There's also Virgin Steele's "Visions of Eden"
The difference is that VS's late 90's and 00's stuff is far superior to anything they did in the 80's; in fact I feel the band got progressively better with time, unlike a lot of 80's bands that went through an entire decade of soggy, lackluster material, or tabloid-worthy exploits, before "returning to the roots" type albums, in the past few years, which are generally pretty hit-or-miss.

I think I'm going to have to go with Visions of Eden, even though I think David Defeiss has needed to buy a better sounding synthesizer, since forever.

And since the subject of candlemass was brought up...This might be blasphemy to some, but I think their best album was From the 13th Sun, with Grey Isles coming a close second. I like most of their stuff in general but find them better -without- Messiah. DMD though was kinda... boring.

My pick is very controversial, but I am going with Guns 'N' Roses - Chinese Deomocracy. Chinese Democracy might just be the most played album for me.

I was listening to Megadeth's United Abominations yesterday. I think it just may be the finest release of this last decade (2000 - 2009), by a band from the 80s.

So... if you had to pick one release from this past decade (2000 - 2009), by a band whose debut was released during the 1980s, which release would it be?

Surprised you mentioned that. I do love that album though, despite what Jasonic says. I still find that to be a very solid release.

Black Sabbath are an 80's band???????????????????

Considering he said the new Heaven and Hell album, yes I would say so because the Sabbath version of Dio most definitely was an 80s band and vastly different than Sabbath with Ozzy.

Interesting.
While I like DMD, I GREATLY prefer both the S/T and King of the Gray Islands more......

I like DMD over the S/T. I know you're a big Candlemass nut but I found that the S/T to be rather uninspired. I do agree that King of the Gray Islands is better though.

For me, it would be one of the following:

Jag Panzer - Mechanized Warfare
Tarot - Suffer Our Pleasures
Helloween - The Dark Ride

Candlemass s/t is up there, but it would be a distant fourth, at least.

There's also Virgin Steele's "Visions of Eden"
The difference is that VS's late 90's and 00's stuff is far superior to anything they did in the 80's; in fact I feel the band got progressively better with time, unlike a lot of 80's bands that went through an entire decade of soggy, lackluster material, or tabloid-worthy exploits, before "returning to the roots" type albums, in the past few years, which are generally pretty hit-or-miss.

I actually really like their 80's hair metal styled albums (Noble Savage, Life Among the Ruins). I think they peaked with "Marriage of Heaven and Hell", but sadly never really evolved at all from there. Both those albums contained a certain low budget cheese sound to the orchestrations, that I always figured they would progress beyond at some point, but sadly never did.

I think I'm going to have to go with Visions of Eden, even though I think David Defeiss has needed to buy a better sounding synthesizer, since forever.

LOL! I've said the same thing many times! It's like he is so attached to his first Casio keyboard purchased at a KMart in 1984 that he refuses to part with it..... This is really the main factor why I have progressively lost interest in them (although I did think Eden was a good return to form, while still sounding dated somehow).

Well, we can split hairs all day long...

So far, from what I am gathering, many here are in agreement that as far as bands who released their DEBUT albums in the 80s, the three who released at least one top notch release in the past decade are:
JAG PANZER
HELLOWEEN
CANDLEMASS

Jasonic fully supports this! :headbang:

My pick is very controversial, but I am going with Guns 'N' Roses - Chinese Deomocracy. Chinese Democracy might just be the most played album for me.

I think the reality is that even long time GnR fans never even bothered to check it out. Axl screwed himself royally with all the drama. He's the Billy Corgan of hard rock (IE - Talented, still may put out quality material, but too late for anyone to notice or care)

Looking at my Top 30 Albums of the 2000s, three of them come from bands who released their debut in the 80s, so I guess my choice has to come from them. They are:

Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera
Mayhem - Grand Declaration of War
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus

None of them are really "80s bands" in the traditional sense, and in fact the reason they're on the list is because they continued to evolve and innovate far into their careers, rather than trying to recreate past glory. Mayhem was just barely an 80s band (they only released demos/EPs then), and Nick Cave isn't metal, so I guess I'll go with Blind Guardian.

Neil

Zod - Seriously, don't even waste your time with those three 'Deth releases. RISK has a couple tolerable tunes. World Needs a Hero is as uninspired as St Anger.
Well, if I love United Abominations, and you think all three are superior, why the un-recommendation?

Mayhem - Grand Declaration of War
Queuing now.

EDIT: Great music... the vocals, both spoken word and poorly sung, ruin it for me.

This makes a total of 2 times I've heard of someone liking this album (the first being myself). This is one I would expect to see ranked highly on a list of "Most widely hated metal albums".

Well, I suppose it depends.

My favorite IMMORTAL album is SONS OF NORTHERN DARKNESS.
That statement is blasphemy amongst most black metal fans.
I would not consider myself a black metal fan tho.....

Just like REROUTE TO REMAIN is someone's favorite IN FLAMES album, and ARE YOU DEAD YET? is someone's favorite COB album.

As bands change sound, they get a new breed of fans, so what might be hated by one group of fans, can be loved by another.