Better Know A Band: Sanctuary

I won't tell you I'm a fan (cuz I'm not!), but I'll ask you a question: which of the following possibilities seems more likely to you?

A) SoundScan's reports of 21 million Nickelback albums sold, newspaper reports of sold out arenas, and last.fm's report of 1.6 million Nickelback listeners, are all part of an elaborate hoax on the level of the Apollo moon landing, masterminded by commercial radio for reasons unknown

OR

B) Your circle of acquaintances is unreliable to use as a representative of society as a whole

Given that in this very thread you showed that your circle of acquaintances is not a representative sample of even the *metal* community (since it doesn't include a single person who preferred the second Sanctuary album over the first), me, I'm gonna hafta lean towards "B" on this one.

I now hand the microphone back to lady_space, who somehow wrote in the post right before yours as if tapped directly into my brain. Read this bit again. Maybe like 6 times.

I'm being King Dick here because I think that you have a unique and valuable perspective on many things, but if you continue to confuse your own experience and environment with that of society as a whole, that perspective becomes worthless since it's impossible to trust ("was that *really*the general reaction to Album X when it came out, or just what him and his 5 buddies thought? After all, he's the guy who thought no one likes ItMB, or even Nickelback!")

Neil

After all of that, you can happily have my crown as King Dick around here. Well fucking said.

Actually I have worked for a clear channel station before and they have a room full of people that do nothing but call people in the listening area and play song clips and take those people's responses. They're not just doing that to fatten the minimum wage job market.

I have also been on the receiving end of phone calls for about 5 radio stations in the Tampa Bay area.

So yes, I'm sure there are OTHER factors involved BUT you cannot deny that the listener/viewer is a major factor in itself. Why else have rating systems installed to monitor people's watching habits? Why track what people are using their DVRs to record? Why do radio stations care if people do or do not like a song? It all factors in.

These things are simple to explain. The general public does what they are told. They jump on band wagons, and follow trends. Once the advertising hook sinks in the right place everything else falls in line. Once the cool kids like it the rest will follow. You can simply sit back and read this forum and see that. Not suggesting that is a good or bad thing, just the way it is.
Sure there are some surprises every now and then like whoever though The Gates of Slumber would have one a best video vote on Mtv over Sliknot. But to give the impression that it happens like it did in the 70s for bands like Rush is just wrong.
the general public likes what they are told to like and accept what is given to them. Hell this is the whole concept behind advertising.

As to the Headbanger's Ball thing, I loved Hellion, but the fact is they're not a band that millions agree on. "Millions" agreed on more mainstream hard rock and metal through the 80s. Hellion would always lose the battle against the likes of Queensryche, Bon Jovi, Cinderella, Poison, Judas Priest and Motley Crue. It was always something special to see something "obscure" back then instead of the same re-hashed Def Leppard vids. Damien, Fifth Angel, Warlock and others were cool to see on the Ball.

You are correct, and much catcher stuff too. But you don't think the fact that bands have bigger labels hence more money pushing them has a big factor to do with how they are getting played? And
i don't think people were watching the ball to see those bands so whoever Mtv was asking about what they should play they were obviously asking the wrong people.
This reminds me of a conversation I recently had with someone on MetalBlade who was telling me about why their video only aired once, though I remember it airing twice. Still it was an interesting discussion from what little I recall.

I won't tell you I'm a fan (cuz I'm not!), but I'll ask you a question: which of the following possibilities seems more likely to you?

A) SoundScan's reports of 21 million Nickelback albums sold, newspaper reports of sold out arenas, and last.fm's report of 1.6 million Nickelback listeners, are all part of an elaborate hoax on the level of the Apollo moon landing, masterminded by commercial radio for reasons unknown

OR

B) Your circle of acquaintances is unreliable to use as a representative of society as a whole

Given that in this very thread you showed that your circle of acquaintances is not a representative sample of even the *metal* community (since it doesn't include a single person who preferred the second Sanctuary album over the first), me, I'm gonna hafta lean towards "B" on this one.

I now hand the microphone back to lady_space, who somehow wrote in the post right before yours as if tapped directly into my brain. Read this bit again. Maybe like 6 times.

I'm being King Dick here because I think that you have a unique and valuable perspective on many things, but if you continue to confuse your own experience and environment with that of society as a whole, that perspective becomes worthless since it's impossible to trust ("was that *really*the general reaction to Album X when it came out, or just what him and his 5 buddies thought? After all, he's the guy who thought no one likes ItMB, or even Nickelback!")

Neil

Not sure were I gave any indication of the people know and what I was referring speaking of Sanctuary was the metal people I knew rather. But I know a lot of people actually and a lot inside a metal community and out. Though I get absolutely no idea where you could say that I would know no one into metal unless you are trying to be funny and just failing at it.
So to answer you, I completely understand the sound scans thing and that the band sold lots of albums, ******* I know how one ended up in my apratment (and I was not happy with that). But I do realize that people namely Americans do what they are told, they like what they are told to like. Advertiser, media, radio etc are paid to play this stuff then it gets into people's heads and they go and buy it, record sales go up.

Actually I have worked for a clear channel station before and they have a room full of people that do nothing but call people in the listening area and play song clips and take those people's responses. They're not just doing that to fatten the minimum wage job market.

Wow, I've been surveyed by those people before, but I always assumed it was a marketing research outfit. I'm a bit surprised it was the radio station itself.

For commercial FM radio, airplay is strictly determined by playlist consultants. Music and program directors have very little autonomy these days.

This reminds me of a conversation I recently had with someone on MetalBlade who was telling me about why their video only aired once, though I remember it airing twice. Still it was an interesting discussion from what little I recall.

Easy: they paid for a certain number of airings on the Ball.
Unless you were someone huge like Metallica, then you had to pay to get played.
A friends' band* did that, back in the day...paid for five airings of their video on Headbangers Ball. They ended up with six airings plus an in-studio interview because MTV forgot to overlay the song info the first time they played it....oops!

And that payola was worth it: when the video aired, the CD would sell about 1,000 units the following week. When it was included in an episode of Beavis & Butthead, that was good for a lot of sales, too......

Meanwhile, back in the world of Sanctuary...... (There's a Logan's Run reference there somewhere... :))

----
* Mutha's Day Out, from Batesville AR, for the curious....

Easy: they paid for a certain number of airings on the Ball.
Unless you were someone huge like Metallica, then you had to pay to get played.
A friends' band* did that, back in the day...paid for five airings of their video on Headbangers Ball. They ended up with six airings plus an in-studio interview because MTV forgot to overlay the song info the first time they played it....oops!

And that payola was worth it: when the video aired, the CD would sell about 1,000 units the following week. When it was included in an episode of Beavis & Butthead, that was good for a lot of sales, too......

Meanwhile, back in the world of Sanctuary...... (There's a Logan's Run reference there somewhere... :))

----
* Mutha's Day Out, from Batesville AR, for the curious....

Yes I know that was the way, and that was my point earlier itis just how much is paid it's not what people want. If you have the money you can tell people what they want, it's the American way.
I love Logan's Run (one of my favorite if not favorite sci-fi films) and all about Sanctuary but not sure if I follow.

I'm being King Dick here because I think that you have a unique and valuable perspective on many things, but if you continue to confuse your own experience and environment with that of society as a whole, that perspective becomes worthless since it's impossible to trust ("was that *really*the general reaction to Album X when it came out, or just what him and his 5 buddies thought?
I'm either misreading Shaye's post or your take on it. It seems you're chastising her for not correctly drawing a distinction between her own view and a broader perspective, when she specifically stated her view (as all of ours are) was/is "myopic". What did I miss?

I'm either misreading Shaye's post or your take on it.

Poorly-structured post on my part, with confusing quoting. I quoted Shaye's comment because it deserved to be repeated and highlighted, and it did a better job than I could ever do of getting across that point about myopia that I'd been trying and failing to make to J.

The "King Dick..." part was then me going back to talking to J., not responding to the quoted Shaye. I guess I should have just quoted Shaye and followed with "This. x1000" to be more clear. :)

Neil

Poorly-structured post on my part, with confusing quoting. I quoted Shaye's comment because it deserved to be repeated and highlighted, and it did a better job than I could ever do of getting across that point about myopia that I'd been trying and failing to make to J.

The "King Dick..." part was then me going back to talking to J., not responding to the quoted Shaye. I guess I should have just quoted Shaye and followed with "This. x1000" to be more clear. :)
Cool. Thanks for the clarification.

Okay, make appropriate hand gestures if you or someone you know owns a copy of the live ep

Nice...not sure how appropriate the current hand gestures are that I am making...but I have that live EP...fuckin' cool!

i was in Korea for two weeks so i am just jumping into this fray without reading a single post.

SO like i said long ago. SANCTUARY IS MIGHTIER THAN NEVERMORE. eat it! ;)
i like Nevermore, but Sanctuary is going to f*cking DESTROY ProgPower next year. i am going to go berserk i know that much.

i was in Korea for two weeks so i am just jumping into this fray without reading a single post.

SO like i said long ago. SANCTUARY IS MIGHTIER THAN NEVERMORE. eat it! ;)
i like Nevermore, but Sanctuary is going to f*cking DESTROY ProgPower next year. i am going to go berserk i know that much.

Yopu will not be alone.
Finally Progpower will have some good U.S. f#@kin heavy metal

Duh!
Both albums (on vinyl AND cd), the live EP (on cd), 3 live bootlegs (on cd) and of course the demo's of from the time when the band turned into Nevermore ...

;)

oh yeah!;0
Both CDs, a live audio boot, the EP, a few live video boots, 'Refuge' tour shirt, unreleased Sanctuary demos, ITTMB album flats. Damn we are such dorks.
Man you should hear these demo tracks though they are pretty cool.

Nevermore played Taste Revenge last night, and despite Warrel being visibly sick as fuck, he was sounding pretty damn good. :kickass: