Sanctuary reforming?

eppst1

Mar 18, 2002
Ohio
www.eppst1.com
Blabbermouth said:
NEVERMORE frontman Warrel Dane has announced that his late '80s cult metal outfit SANCTUARY will reunite to record a new studio album. "[I've] been talking with Lenny [Rutledge, former SANCTUARY guitarist]," Dane explains. "We are really good friends again and it feels good." He adds, "I missed my relationship with him for many years.

Regarding how the SANCTUARY reunion will affect NEVERMORE, which has a new studio album ("The Obsidian Conspiracy") coming out next month, Dane says, "NEVEMORE is never going away, so don't start any more rumors!"

On March 8, Ironbird via Cherry Red Records reissued SANCTUARY's first two albums — 1987's "Refuge Denied", produced by Dave Mustaine of MEGADETH; and 1990's "Into The Mirror Black", produced by Howard Benson — on a single CD.

"Refuge Denied" contains a great version of JEFFERSON AIRPLANE's "White Rabbit". "Into The Mirror Black", SANCTUARY's second and final album, is an overlooked masterpiece, blurring the lines between technical, Bay Area-style thrash, traditional heavy metal and European power metal.

Dane and bassist Jim Sheppard went on to extend SANCTUARY's ambition and songwriting sensibilities into the superb NEVERMORE.

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Interesting. I'm in favor of Warrel putting out as much material as possible, so long as the quality doesn't dip. That said, Warrel's voice was a huge part of that Sanctuary sound. That voice is now dramatically different. Not sure how this is going to sound much more like a Dane side project (not that that's a bad thing).

Refuge Denied had a huge impact on me way back when, I still play that album periodically, saw 'em on that tour opening for Megadeth, very killer. A new Sanctuary is an awesome reunion idea, but no way is Dane hittin' the highs he hit on that first album.

So who is the 3rd band you would like to see?

Maybe Vio-Lence or Dark Angel? I already got my wish with Forbidden back together.

Well for my oddball taste and love for bands that aren't the "big 4" my first choice would be Fifth Angel, but that's in the works (although without Ted Pilot on vocals I'm hoping it will still be cool). Laaz Rockit, but that happened a few years back. I wouldn't mind seeing a Suicidal Tendencies re-vamp to include the lineup from Lights Camera. They're last few releases have been lackluster at best. Warlock, more than a show.

Interesting. I'm in favor of Warrel putting out as much material as possible, so long as the quality doesn't dip. That said, Warrel's voice was a huge part of that Sanctuary sound. That voice is now dramatically different. Not sure how this is going to sound much more like a Dane side project (not that that's a bad thing).

This. I guess we'll have to wait and see how the new Sanctuary material sounds, and obviously how he sounds doing it. I have high hopes for this reunion, who knows, even a tour may be in the works?

I just put on Into The Mirror Black to celebrate the news. :headbang::headbang:

I thought the last few Nevermore albums were incredible... and their newest is definitely Nevermore back in form again, it's like a cross between Dead Heart/In Memory.

Pigs must be flying because I actually agree with you here. "This Godless Endeavor" was particularly great. The problem people have with "Enemies of Reality" has more to do with the production I think.

Anyways, I'm really stoked for this. I never thought this would happen to be perfectly honest, though I do agree that the vocals have to be there for this to work.

Pigs must be flying because I actually agree with you here. "This Godless Endeavor" was particularly great. The problem people have with "Enemies of Reality" has more to do with the production I think.

Anyways, I'm really stoked for this. I never thought this would happen to be perfectly honest, though I do agree that the vocals have to be there for this to work.

Well that production argument could only be used for the people who never heard Sneap's remixing of it. Kelly Gray's version of it is terrible, heh.

And the fact that you said something about flying pigs just makes me laugh, I am listening to Pink Floyd right now...

Sanctuary is far superior to Nevermore any day of the week. we all know every person on here listening to Nevermore was always saying to themselves, "it's good, but it's no Sanctuary that is for sure, so i guess this will do."