Sanctuary reforming?

I am going to say something that will piss off a LOT of people, but some of the older folks will most likely agree with....

As much as I like some NEVERMORE, the honest truth is that NEVERMORE are nu metal for metal fans afraid to say they like some "chug" in their metal.
I would say a few things...

First, I'm not sure that Chug = Nu.

Second, how many songs does Nevermore have based on Chug? If you've listened to Dreaming and came away thinking "Nu Metal", than I don't know what to say. I think the ultra crisp sound of Dead Heart shares some common ground with Nu Metal, but that ground doesn't overlap that all that widely.

Third, I have no intrinsic issue with Nu Metal, other than the overall quality of the genre. I totally love me some Lamb of God, early KSE, Trivium and Disturbed. Not sure what of that's Nu and what's not. Hard to keep track.

Finally, if Nevermore is in fact Nu Metal, than that raises that status of the Nu Metal genre, and officially makes Doom Metal's worst genre. :loco:

I like Sanctuary and all, but I still think Nevermore is a (MUCH) more solid band. I understand that most people (especially the old-schoolers) prefer Sanctuary. However, a lot of these old-school folks (and I'm not saying that particularly about anyone one this forum, I'm really talking about people I know outside of here) seem to be stuck in time. Tunnelvision at its strongest. It's like they refuse to listen to anything that's new because it sucks. It's like Maiden is still the freshest and most innovative thing to come out in the music world.

Oh well, it's their loss.

I'll be the first to stand and state claim to the 80's metal, that was the time of metal. Today is just a pale comparison, those who where there and I mean truly into what was going understand. I cannot totally explain it but the time seemed so much different and better.
As for Maiden well they are timeless and if anyone disagrees they are just simply wrong.

I'll be the first to stand and state claim to the 80's metal, that was the time of metal. Today is just a pale comparison, those who where there and I mean truly into what was going understand. I cannot totally explain it but the time seemed so much different and better.
As for Maiden well they are timeless and if anyone disagrees they are just simply wrong.

I can't speak for the 80s metalheads simply because I was not part of that scene. I was born in the early-mid eighties, and have been into metal since around 95. If you feels that metal was better back then, that's great. I can respect that. Although I have been a fan and have worked within the "current" metal scene for a few years, I can only speak for what I've experienced or based on other people's accounts. It sure sounds like the 80s were great for metal fans.

However, your argument loses validity to me the moment you say that I am wrong because I have a different opinion than you. It comes across as the typical "I'm older, so therefore I must be smarter" attitude. I like Iron Maiden, and I understand how important they are to today's metal. But honestly, I don't think they're timeless. I shouldn't be put down simply because I think the "all mighty Iron Maiden" is just another classic metal band. Your whole "if you disagree about Maiden you're just wrong" attitude is pretty irrational, and in a way, pretty stupid.

Just my two cents...

I can't speak for the 80s metalheads simply because I was not part of that scene. I was born in the early-mid eighties, and have been into metal since around 95. If you feels that metal was better back then, that's great. I can respect that. Although I have been a fan and have worked within the "current" metal scene for a few years, I can only speak for what I've experienced or based on other people's accounts. It sure sounds like the 80s were great for metal fans.

However, your argument loses validity to me the moment you say that I am wrong because I have a different opinion than you. It comes across as the typical "I'm older, so therefore I must be smarter" attitude. I like Iron Maiden, and I understand how important they are to today's metal. But honestly, I don't think they're timeless. I shouldn't be put down simply because I think the "all mighty Iron Maiden" is just another classic metal band. Your whole "if you disagree about Maiden you're just wrong" attitude is pretty irrational, and in a way, pretty stupid.

Just my two cents...

Goddammit. What have you done with Milton? STOP POSTING VALID POINTS!

... and you making a good argument (not once, but TWICE)! It's like bizarro forum.

You've always been threatened by my intelligence, but too stupid to know that it's exactly the reason why you hate me so much....

bazinga.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

I'll be the first to stand and state claim to the 80's metal, that was the time of metal.
It was certainly the time for Metal in terms of popularity.

Today is just a pale comparison, those who where there and I mean truly into what was going understand.
I was a rabid Metal fan in the 80s. However, I'd say the overall quality is higher today.

I cannot totally explain it but the time seemed so much different and better.
I think it can be explained by nostalgia. The music of the 80s is the soundtrack of your youth. If you listened to music for the next thousand years, no other genre or band would ever hold that same distinction. In addition, all of it felt new to you, because it was new to you. That first Metal disc you heard, had no other discs in your mind and in your heart with which to compete. Now everything new you hear, has to stand up to that vast catalog of music in your head. Nothing will ever sound that new, that exciting again.

I'd say their timeless in the sense that they don't sound dated, as many 80s bands do. I'm not sure anyone has taken what Maiden did and bettered it. That said, Maiden has never been a favorite of mine, as they are of so many of the people I grew up with. I like them.... respect the hell out of them. But if you were to ask me to rank their discs, compared to say Iced Earth, I'd list four Iced Earth discs before I got the first Maiden disc.

It was certainly the time for Metal in terms of popularity.

I was a rabid Metal fan in the 80s. However, I'd say the overall quality is higher today.

I think it can be explained by nostalgia. The music of the 80s is the soundtrack of your youth. If you listened to music for the next thousand years, no other genre or band would ever hold that same distinction. In addition, all of it felt new to you, because it was new to you. That first Metal disc you heard, had no other discs in your mind and in your heart with which to compete. Now everything new you hear, has to stand up to that vast catalog of music in your head. Nothing will ever sound that new, that exciting again.

I'd say their timeless in the sense that they don't sound dated, as many 80s bands do. I'm not sure anyone has taken what Maiden did and bettered it. That said, Maiden has never been a favorite of mine, as they are of so many of the people I grew up with. I like them.... respect the hell out of them. But if you were to ask me to rank their discs, compared to say Iced Earth, I'd list four Iced Earth discs before I got the first Maiden disc.

I totally follow and agree, well put.
Iced Earth? gasp! Well can't say I follow that but to each is their own.

The Maiden comment was not meant to be directly targeted at you, just a statement. I don't know if you like Maiden or not, nor do I care. But no Maiden is not dated at all and there is a reason why Iron Maiden is an institution now because they are the best at what they do. What Maiden have achieved Saxon could not do and Blind Guardian never will, point you will never see it happen again.
By saying this I sold like a huge Maiden fanatic but that is not the case at all. If I speak of favorite bands or albums Maiden usually doesn't come up simply because it is a give, it is Iron Maiden. It is not an issue of excepting them just because they have been around forever.
And to bring that around to the 80s, well that is what Maiden what they are today in turn it made the 80s metal something special to be a part of.

ok, let me re-phrase that. those of us in our 30's prefer Sanctuary to Nevermore. haha. anyone who was around for Sanctuary pre-Nevermore existence saying they like NM better is a little bit crazy i think. ;)
Wow couldn't disagree with you more. I am 38 and was one of the biggest Sanctuary fans ever!

That all went out the window when I first heard the NM demos back in the day. Nevermore is the far superior band in my opinion.

And it is just that MY opinion. So if you like sanctuary better, fine but don't tell me who to like.

Wow couldn't disagree with you more. I am 38 and was one of the biggest Sanctuary fans ever!

That all went out the window when I first heard the NM demos back in the day. Nevermore is the far superior band in my opinion.

And it is just that MY opinion. So if you like sanctuary better, fine but don't tell me who to like.

So far the tally from last night is Nevermore 5, Sanctuary 3. I really hope TribunalRecords likes the taste of foot. :Smug: