Black / Death Metal Suggestions?

ApolloFC

Sax-Man
Sep 18, 2009
Greensboro, North Carolina
Yah know. After reading AngraRules/"Milton" comment about being in a black metal mood in the currently playing thread.. I realized that I haven't been listening to black or death metal much.

Artists currently in my retail collection:
Amon Amarth
Behemoth
Nile
Opeth (more prog/death blend?)

I've listened to Ulver's Nattens Madrigal - Aatte Hymne til Ulven i Manden & Kveldssanger. I liked those quite a lot back in the day of discovering all these metal bands for the first time, but I'd say with Nattens... that was more of an odd attraction, not something I'd normally like i guess. :shrug:

I have seen Behemoth & Keep of Kalessin (spell?) live.. and thought KoK's Come Damnation (Reclaim ep) was fucking beautiful when I heard it live. I skipped Dimmu Borgir who were headlining.

Other/"obscure" bands I can remember that I like: Primordial. I'd like to get back on some folk/viking bands but that be for another topic i guess. Opeth but I wasn't sure where they fit. They're just amazing live.

Any suggestions?

Melechesh!

Also I've been listening to a lot of November's Doom the past few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
going to try to go a little off the beaten path for you, since that is where I usually have the most interest anyway.. :)

Augury

The Chasm

Lengsel (and a word about their second album, while this one is amazing frosty black metal with a progressive tinge, the second one is this dark, deep hollow of black metal, shoegaze, noise, all kinds of stuff..phenomenal work)

Gris

going to try to go a little off the beaten path for you, since that is where I usually have the most interest anyway.. :)

Augury Least favorite - mainly cause of the bassist, it got better as the track progressed but I'd go ahead and pass on this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DPW9ED1WBs

The Chasm - I liked this one, i don't really know what to think right now cause I got black metal in my head after watching the videos below.. but I liked it lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpHQdd1GY9I

Lengsel I like this one a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKugiqMYhOg

Gris Second least favorite and thats just cause of the "vocals". I wish there was more to them than just the screams. Love it instrumentally

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwLw1twqz1w

Reply found in bold

One more I've always liked

And stuff you can't go wrong with

And something else I just remembered!

Are you at all interested in "dark metal"?
(IE - bands that the critics call death/doom, though these bands really aren't, IMHO)

If so,
SATURNUS
MY DYING BRIDE
NOVEMBERS DOOM (as already mentioned)
AGALLOCH (discussed here on this forum a zillion times, but worth all the hype)
DRACONIAN

For black / death / experimental / weird:
ENSLAVED
SIGH
NACHTMYSTIUM

Yah know. After reading AngraRules/"Milton" comment about being in a black metal mood in the currently playing thread.. I realized that I haven't been listening to black or death metal much.

Artists currently in my retail collection:
Amon Amarth
Behemoth
Nile
Opeth (more prog/death blend?)

I've listened to Ulver's Nattens Madrigal - Aatte Hymne til Ulven i Manden & Kveldssanger. I liked those quite a lot back in the day of discovering all these metal bands for the first time, but I'd say with Nattens... that was more of an odd attraction, not something I'd normally like i guess. :shrug:

I have seen Behemoth & Keep of Kalessin (spell?) live.. and thought KoK's Come Damnation (Reclaim ep) was fucking beautiful when I heard it live. I skipped Dimmu Borgir who were headlining.

Other/"obscure" bands I can remember that I like: Primordial. I'd like to get back on some folk/viking bands but that be for another topic i guess. Opeth but I wasn't sure where they fit. They're just amazing live.

Any suggestions?

Easy suggestion - Ulver's first album Bergtatt. It comes first but it's a proper balance between Kvelldssanger and Nattans, plus it directly inspired Agalloch and their ilk.

AeonicSlumber made some good calls in his/her YouTubes. Work from there.

Don't be afraid to look through the black metal and death metal pages at www.rateyourmusic.com Find there what you haven't heard and give them a try (plus come back to tell us what you came to enjoy)

And if you want a suggestion for new death metal - I'm enjoying the band Hooded Menace a bit.

Hooded Menace is GREAT -- slow to midpaced DM, very doom influenced, nice melodic guitar leads, but balls to the wall HEAVY. Definitely worth looking into.

I'm gonna assume that you're pretty new to this stuff so you've probably heard of some of these, but if you haven't checked em out, I highly recommend you do so!

Death Metal
Carcass - Heartwork
Asphyx - Death...the Brutal Way
Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry (warning: many people find their lyrics offensive, but it's not like you can understand them for the most part anyway. Really melodic. Like if Iron Maiden were a DM band).
Aborted - Goremageddon

Black Metal
Absu
Destroyer 666
Twilight (most recent album)

most of that really isn't 'true' black metal, but it's a good gateway.

I gotta admit, I was bored throughout the the tune. Riff wasn't bad but the tune wasn't interesting to me. Video wasn't helping either as I kept on laughing at it (not to big on music videos in the first place)

To each their own. I dig the riff, but I enjoy the drumming more actually. I will agree though that the music video doesn't help. :lol: Maybe I should've posted just the song. Regardless, they are my favorite black metal act, though they vary quite significantly as they have a couple of different movements in terms of their sound. Here's probably their most well known song. Couldn't really find a straight studio version that wasn't the video and, well, if you were laughing at the other one, this one surely would've (for a very different reason) or who knows scared the hell out of you. :lol: Anyways, here's a live version.

One band I do dig quite a bit which is a little out there is Dodheimsgard. They're pretty much avant garde black metal.

I too don't know much about death metal, so I can't help you out there as the only ones I have are Amon Amarth (which you already have) or Carcass or Death (who have already been mentioned).

Great choices Jason on the dark metal. While you know my love for MDB, Draconian is one I seem to love more and more each time I listen to them.

One of my favorite death metal albums:

Impaled - Mondo Medicale

And also this, a great entry level death metal experience:

And also this, my favorite Windir song:

And one last thing, every death metal should be into (probably Dan Swano's best contribution to metal):

i third EDGE OF SANITY and no metal collection is complete without a copy of AT THE GATES "Slaughter Of The Soul" i don't care if you are only into power metal or not. ATG is a masterpiece.
here are some screen shots of some of my death metal playlists. yeah, i am a geek.

early, classic death metal
Untitled2.jpg

more progressive death metal
Untitled.jpg