Chris Caffery confirmed to headline BWBK 6 Pack Weekend Night 1!

General Zod said:
I went to BW & BK the first year, and had a great time. The wife and I had every intention of returning for the second BW & BK. Then the line-up was announced. I can't believe the promoter was surprised at the poor ticket sales. I was hoping that someone would figure it out in '05, and that they'd put together a better line-up. And while I don't want to condemn the fest after only one act has been announced, this is not a good sign that they've received the message.

What's really surprising to me is, just how far the promoter's finger is from the pulse of the Metal scene. I visit a good number of boards, and can't say I ever recall seeing any discussion on Chris Caffery. I could understand if he was a three slot band, to fill out the line-up. But a headliner?

Zod
There is no clammoring for Chris Caffery, and that is why it is a terrible decision to make him a headliner. I wouldn't mind seeing him at all, but I think with one disc to your name he should be in a 2nd or 3rd band role.

By the way Zod, I missed you last year at BWBK. The lineup wasn't so hot, but I had a hell of a time partying. It depends on the rest of the bill as to whether I'm going back for the third time.

Glenn had it right when he took Zach and CIIC, and made them a #3. That's where they belonged. Caffery should be a #2 or #3 at BWBK, but some nut deems him a headliner. Go figure??

Nightmare1z said:
Just a note on the Rage comment:

Look at the catalogue.

Rage has how many albums? 15+?

Chris Caffery has how many albums? 1 release (2 CD's)

Granted he'll probably play a couple Savatage and Dr Butcher tunes - but the majority is off of Faces

I think the complaint is not that CC is playing it or that he's unknown, it's that he's headlining it. I kinda agree - one release should not be headliner material!
That's my take. I don't mind Caffery at all, it's just that I don't think he's deserving of headliner status. Maybe after the rest of the bill is announced he'll be worthy of that spot, but unfortunately that festival won't be worthy of my buying a ticket to it.

Nightmare1z said:
Just a note on the Rage comment:

Look at the catalogue.

Rage has how many albums? 15+?

Chris Caffery has how many albums? 1 release (2 CD's)

Granted he'll probably play a couple Savatage and Dr Butcher tunes - but the majority is off of Faces

I think the complaint is not that CC is playing it or that he's unknown, it's that he's headlining it. I kinda agree - one release should not be headliner material!

I totally agree. I think nobody is bitching here at all about seeing Chris Caffrey's band play a festival. He is a highly talented guitarist and has played in one of the greatest Metal bands EVER. So he has a very good resume behind him.

But a major announcement as the headliner?! Are you kidding me? Is this news supposed to be the jump start to a huge ticket buying spree by the public? Hardly. I am no promoter, but if I were to announce a headliner for a festival, I would want it to be one that gets everyone around to say, "Holy shit, did you see who's playing *insert fest name* ?!" I'm sorry, but no disrespect to Chris Caffrey as a player or person, but the announcement of his band as a headliner only makes the rest of say, "If he's the headliner, what's the rest of the bill going to look like?"

Only time will tell but I doubt that it'll look good.

AngraRULES said:
Now, to everyone that's bashing on BWBK for having Chris Caffery headlining, so fucking what? Nobody has to be happy with everything, that's understandable...
You completely missed the point (at least my point). This has nothing to do with whether or not I like Chris Cafferty. Hell, I haven't liked half the acts that have headlined ProgPower, but they made sense. Do I want to Rhapsody at ProgPower? Hell no. But I would understand if Glenn signed them to headline. However, this signing makes no sense.

AngraRULES said:
But show some respect for god's sake, if he's called up to a headlining spot, I think he deserves it...
You're entitled to that opinion. However, exactly what has he done to deserve to headline? He has one, recently released solo CD to his name (which hasn't been all that well received). And how good could the acts be that he actually deserves to headline over?

Zod

DarkTide said:
There is no clammoring for Chris Caffery, and that is why it is a terrible decision to make him a headliner. I wouldn't mind seeing him at all, but I think with one disc to your name he should be in a 2nd or 3rd band role.
Agreed.

DarkTide said:
By the way Zod, I missed you last year at BWBK. The lineup wasn't so hot, but I had a hell of a time partying. It depends on the rest of the bill as to whether I'm going back for the third time.
There were a couple of acts that I would have enjoyed last year, but no one that really sparked my interest. Hopefully, BW & BK will surprise and offer up a solid line-up this year. But at this point, it doesn't look good.

DarkTide said:
Glenn had it right when he took Zach and CIIC, and made them a #3. That's where they belonged. Caffery should be a #2 or #3 at BWBK, but some nut deems him a headliner. Go figure??
Couldn't agree more. If Zach is a #3, how the hell is Chris a headliner? It just highlights the enormous difference in quality between the two festivals. It's a real shame, I thought, after the 1st fest, that we had a 2nd quality fest to attend. As I said, I'll hold out on passing my final judgement until I see who the remaining acts are.

Zod

General Zod said:
Couldn't agree more. If Zach is a #3, how the hell is Chris a headliner? It just highlights the enormous difference in quality between the two festivals. It's areal shame, I thought, after the 1st fest, that we had a 2nd quality fest to attend. As I said, I'll hold out on passing my final judgement until I see who the remaining acts are.

Zod
this was exactly my comment at the top of the page... ;)

good for Chris, but not so good for the fest. he's a great musician but he's not Savatage by himself...

Apparently Mnemic, Hypocrisy, Soilwork, and Dark Tranquility will be part of the Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles 6 Pack weekend. I was just looking over their tour dates. This tour is going all across North America and I noticed something... May 6 they are playing the Odeon in Cleveland, Ohio which is the same date Chris Caffery will be closing out the night. If this is indeed true that will be 5 bands right there for the first night out of the 6 or 7 playing. I think it's a bit lazy to book an actual North American tour to stop at your festival but I guess it makes sense because these bands don't play as often as some others do here in America.

Also I have no problem with Caffery closing out the night. I think its awesome. This is just an all around metal fest. You can't compare it to ProgPower because this is an all around metal fest whereas ProgPower is strictly that with one odd ball band. I think we should all just be happy we have another festival here in America and a damn good runned festival and not a Jack Koshik pile of shit. Besides although Chris is headlining it is always the band before the headliner which is the main focus. People usually leave during the headliner and only a few stick around. Case and point last year the venue was packed for Grave Digger and for Katatonia who closed out the night it was less than half full in there. I thought last years line up was a strong one pulling in Doro, Grave Digger, Primal Fear, Dismember, and Brainstorm is no easy feat. It was also the first ever North American shows for Grave Digger and Brainstorm so you gotta give the promoter credit for that. All in all it was a damn good show and I like how it touches all areas of metal. Flotsam and Jetsam and Metal Church both were amazing last year.

I'll have to admit that I missed the points there, I really thought you guys were pretty angry in having him headlining BWBK... but whatever, no harsh feelings like I said before..

I liked his release, it's pretty good material, and I'm not surprise to see him headlining... NOW : Depending on what bands are confirmed, than yeah, maybe I will aggree that he should not be on that slot... We'll see soon...

General Zod said:
You completely missed the point (at least my point). This has nothing to do with whether or not I like Chris Cafferty. Hell, I haven't liked half the acts that have headlined ProgPower, but they made sense. Do I want to Rhapsody at ProgPower? Hell no. But I would understand if Glenn signed them to headline. However, this signing makes no sense.

You're entitled to that opinion. However, exactly what has he done to deserve to headline? He has one, recently released solo CD to his name (which hasn't been all that well received). And how good could the acts be that he actually deserves to headline over?

Zod
Then maybe remember to say that in original posts which all made it sound like No ONE would be pleased to see Chris at all. So touchy opinions are in type as opposed to verbal. I am DYING to see Chris in a full set: headline? maybe not, but I've seen sooooo much worse.

BTW as far as Rage is concerned, only Prog Power band I couldn't last the set for.... just not enough emotion to keep my tired psyche going, but probably that's just me....or a few others......

AMBR said:
Then maybe remember to say that in original posts which all made it sound like No ONE would be pleased to see Chris at all.
Actually, I did say that in my original that. If you reread my post, you'll see that I said:

"I could understand if he was a three slot band, to fill out the line-up. But a headliner?"

Zod

TheGraveDigger said:
Apparently Mnemic, Hypocrisy, Soilwork, and Dark Tranquility will be part of the Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles 6 Pack weekend.
Yet another bad move. IMHO, it's a bad idea to have an entire tour bill show up at your fest, if you expect to have a lot of people travel to your fest. I, like many others who will consider attending this festival, will have already seen this tour before it hits Cleveland. This is one of the reasons, or at least so I've surmised, that Glenn has always stayed away from doing this.

TheGraveDigger said:
You can't compare it to ProgPower because this is an all around metal fest whereas ProgPower is strictly that with one odd ball band. I think we should all just be happy we have another festival here in America and a damn good runned festival and not a Jack Koshik pile of shit.
No one is comparing it to ProgPower as so far as the genre goes. The comparison made was that while Glenn seems to have his finger firmly on the pulse of his audience, the BW & BK promoter does not.

TheGraveDigger said:
Besides although Chris is headlining it is always the band before the headliner which is the main focus.
That is rarely ever the intent of any festival or tour.

TheGraveDigger said:
People usually leave during the headliner and only a few stick around. Case and point last year the venue was packed for Grave Digger and for Katatonia who closed out the night it was less than half full in there.
That's not by design. When Gravedigger played, they played to two groups of people; those who wanted to see Gravedigger and thosee who wanted to see Katatonia. Had Katatonia played first, they would also would have played in front of both audiences.

Zod

That's a bad move that I could only expect New England Metal and Harcore Fest to make.... I have a feeling that BwBk will be disappointing this year... let's hope...

I really know nothing about how this fest is run, but I do know that all things Savatage are VERY popular in Cleveland/Ohio. Perhaps this announcement is meant to get more local people to the show, or giving it a better chance of selling out. Again, I have no idea how big the place is that the fest is held, and if they've ever sold out the show in the past, but I can see it being used as a sort of local marketing angle. Some bands/acts have huge regional followings. For example, if someone were to put on a festival here in Maryland and wanted to make sure they'd pack the place, they would put Crack The Sky on the roster. Just a different way of thinking about this...

dt

General Zod said:
Yet another bad move. IMHO, it's a bad idea to have an entire tour bill show up at your fest, if you expect to have a lot of people travel to your fest. I, like many others who will consider attending this festival, will have already seen this tour before it hits Cleveland. This is one of the reasons, or at least so I've surmised, that Glenn has always stayed away from doing this.
Yeah, I am really not big on a tour bill showing up. A few years ago I attended the New Jersey Hardcore and Metal Fest and you had the bills there for Hypocrisy/Children of Bodom/Nevermore/Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth/Type O Negative, and a good handful of other ones. From a big picture it's like "Oh cool, ill get to see all these tours in one stop", then you realize that they don't play as long as they would if you were out seeing them on their own and not part of the festival. This however for BWBK will be drawing in the Cleveland locals who want to see that tour badly enough (I say badly enough because the ticket price will be alot more than normal than if they were playing on their own), as it is the only date they are playing in the area.

Meteornotes said:
I really know nothing about how this fest is run, but I do know that all things Savatage are VERY popular in Cleveland/Ohio. Perhaps this announcement is meant to get more local people to the show, or giving it a better chance of selling out.
It's possible that their going for a local audience. And if Chris brings that in, than good for them. However, I find it hard to believe that Chris Caffery is going to draw big numbers... anywhere in the states.

Zod

Did anyone ever stop & think that maybe he's headlining because of other bands' travel arrangements? Because, you know stuff like that could never happen. :erk:

One release does not a headliner make these days. I've yet to even hear a CC song, and I've looked. Every sound clip I've tried has been broken. :yell:

As far as being a good fest, the bands they've had the past 2-3 years I've wanted to see quite a few of them live. Looks like a good fest, but I cant do that and PP at this time in life with my financial state. Adding another fest a year would take away from my PP.

Creeps said:
Did anyone ever stop & think that maybe he's headlining because of other bands' travel arrangements?
Obviously a possibility. However, the way I read the info, it seems that he's the headliner, not merely occupying the final slot. Regardless, as I've said all along, I'll wait till the entire roster is official before making my decision. But that, in and of itself, says something. I buy my badges blind for PP... without hesitation. I would never consider doing that for BW & BK.

Zod

General Zod said:
It's possible that their going for a local audience. And if Chris brings that in, than good for them. However, I find it hard to believe that Chris Caffery is going to draw big numbers... anywhere in the states.

Zod

I agree. I think that the dissention in this thread is evidence enough of how most people really wouldn't be that interested in having him headline.