Circus Maximus vs Seventh Wonder

There's NO GOOD REASON whatesoever for a 30 minute title track by an AOR band. They bring nothing to the table.

Um ... wouldn't the "reason" be that they felt like doing it, and some people might like to listen to it?

I didn't realize bands were supposed to present a prospectus of their planned songwriting to the Committee on Musical Appropriateness to demonstrate that there is a specific need for a particular work, and that the world will be a better place because of it. I thought musicians got to write what they felt like writing, and we could purchase or not purchase it as we saw fit.

What was the "reason" we needed an entire concept album a few years ago about an alien who wants black coffee?

Ken

To keep it short: I think Circus Maximus is a fantastic band ('The First Chapter' is a good album and 'Isolate' is a great album) but to me Seventh Wonder is THE ultimate band.

I haven't heard the new Seventh Wonder, but yes, the new Pain Of Salvation IS a masterpiece. Second best album of the year, only beaten by the incredible Spiritual Beggars.

c.

While I'll agree with you that the new Spiritual Beggars is a monster record, I will go on record and say that I have never hated an album by a band I previously loved as much as I hate Road Salt. Aside from two or three good songs, Road Salt makes me wonder why the band didn't break up after the last one. :lol:

While I'll agree with you that the new Spiritual Beggars is a monster record, I will go on record and say that I have never hated an album by a band I previously loved as much as I hate Road Salt. Aside from two or three good songs, Road Salt makes me wonder why the band didn't break up after the last one. :lol:

Too bad you can't see the genius behind it (hehehehe) ... Road Salt has everything I want in a good record. I love that mixture of psychedelic bluesy rock and progressive metal. It's like Led Zeppelin, Masters Of Reality, Hawkwind and Deep Purple getting together to have a big orgy in PoS's rehearsal room.

Derivation at best. :D

I don't know man. Influence, for sure. Especially in the first CM album. Glory of the Empire is a hell of a song, but it's heavily influenced by SX. I'll give you that. I just feel like on Isolate, the band refined their songwriting and really found their own sound. As a matter of fact, Isolate is a hell of a lot better than quite a lot of DT and SX albums (but obviously that's in my opinion).

Up&Away said:
WTF, I am a professional and I am here to help you see the light of day. :lol:

:lol:

Either one of us is crazy. Now we gotta figure out which one.

Picking between these 2 bands is like trying to pick which nut in my sack I prefer. I love them both equally, although.....

There's NO GOOD REASON whatesoever for a 30 minute title track by an AOR band. They bring nothing to the table.

I kind of agree with whats being said here. When I heard they were doing a half hour track I let out a big old negative sigh. I really feel prog metal bands are doing this length of song just to cater to their younger fans who think its 'cool' to do long epic tunes. I guarantee I will listen to this song once ever and that will be it. If you can't say what you wanna say and do your showing off in under say 8 mins then theres problems. My attention span doesn't allow me to get through those long epics these days.

Picking between these 2 bands is like trying to pick which nut in my sack I prefer. I love them both equally, although.....

I kind of agree with whats being said here. When I heard they were doing a half hour track I let out a big old negative sigh. I really feel prog metal bands are doing this length of song just to cater to their younger fans who think its 'cool' to do long epic tunes. I guarantee I will listen to this song once ever and that will be it. If you can't say what you wanna say and do your showing off in under say 8 mins then theres problems. My attention span doesn't allow me to get through those long epics these days.

It's not about attention span. It's that 7th Wonder isn't a prog band. They're a melodic rock/AOR band. They happen to be pretty good at being that. But the title track of their new album JUST DOESN'T WORK.

..... does not compute.....

Seeing that these two bands are like ::insert angelic choir here:: for me I refuse to even try to ponder the thought of this...

HOWEVER, I'm in on the playing their entire catalogs live at PP XII to truly take in the greatness that is both of these bands...

It's not about attention span. It's that 7th Wonder isn't a prog band. They're a melodic rock/AOR band. They happen to be pretty good at being that. But the title track of their new album JUST DOESN'T WORK.

Am I the only one more than slightly confused by the concept of SW not being a progressive band? Mind explaining that to me?

I can't say anything about the material off of The Great Escape, as I have heard none of it. But I am looking forward to it. I think their show at PPXI was one of the best prog shows I've ever seen.

Either one of us is crazy. Now we gotta figure out which one.

I'll just leave this right here...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBGGs-2uCE&feature=related[/ame]

Is there another band with the initials CM? How do you get that they are clones? Soooo different from DT, SX!!

Different? What friggin' Circus Maximus have you been listening to? :lol: