Cover Art Competition

Dhalaren

Mar 10, 2004
Canada, New-Brunswick
For those who don't check the site, here's a hand:

"We have chosen to let you, Bloodbath fans create the cover artwork for the new mini-cd. We don't doubt the talent lurking amongst all young souls out there. So, if you wanna have the honor to portray your art on the next official Bloodbath release - this is your chance! If you feel like give it a go, then please send or link us to something you've done.

If we like your style, we'll get back to you and explain what we had in mind for the new art concept.

NOTE: Before you go any further please make sure you have read and understood the following:
Payment for the artwork (other than the actual honor of winning) will be given only in free copies of the cd. No money will be given to the winner. The owner of the winning artwork also grants Bloodbath the exclusive right to use the artwork for all and any public exploitation - free of charge and without limitation."

I personally can't do any type of art for shit, but this could be interesting to some of you out there.

i have an idea
there should be a bathtub.
with blood in it.

and billy dee williams (lando from star wars) should be chillin inside the tub.

that would make for a sick album cover.

what do you guys think?

it should be a mutant werewolf tearing some priest head off, while the church is burning in the background, also some woman corpses of nuns torn apart eating each other to death.

I think this whole idea is cool, but kind of a rip off. It's cool to get fans involved, but the no paying thing is bullshit to me. It's almost as if they want a free cover. That's just my opinion. But I hope something awesome comes from it.

I think it's a pretty cool idea. It's a great way for the band to save some cash (the more they save, the more CDs they can make available), and great publicity for anyone wanting to get their work seen. Hell, if I could draw anything other than decapitated stick-men I'd do it just for bragging rights! Fair trade I'd say.

I think this whole idea is cool, but kind of a rip off. It's cool to get fans involved, but the no paying thing is bullshit to me. It's almost as if they want a free cover. That's just my opinion. But I hope something awesome comes from it.

Remember that they're releasing it themselves, so they're probably on a really tight budget.

I think it's a pretty cool idea. It's a great way for the band to save some cash (the more they save, the more CDs they can make available), and great publicity for anyone wanting to get their work seen. Hell, if I could draw anything other than decapitated stick-men I'd do it just for bragging rights! Fair trade I'd say.

Yeah, that makes sense. Actually, I forgot that they were releasing it themselves.

This is my suggestion and it will win!

bloodbath.jpg

This part is not needed and wrong.

Not really, it's not like there won't be any credit given to the artist. It's a free will contest too, nobody has to enter it or submit anything. If someone doesn't like the rules, oh well, don't submit anything. From the artist stand point, it's more about getting your artwork and name out there to a semi-large audience. You're not just promoting yourself, but you're helping to promote a band that's awesome.

it's kind of a bass ackwards competition, instead of saying, 'we'll pick the winning entry' (like The Berzerker competition) they're saying, 'if we like your style, we'll tell you what to do.'

submitting a stylistic reference is basically the artist saying 'i will work for free'.

if they already know what they have in mind for artwork, why dont they just comission it? instead it's a roundabout way of sorting thru the artists willing to work for free...

didn't think there would be any need to explain this, but here goes...
since we're putting the majority of the funds into a very expensive studio it leaves us with a fukkin tight budget. so this is a WIN-WIN situation both for the band + designer.
why is it a win situation for the designer? cuz we're working with non-professionals here, so it's not about ripping off someone that does this for a living... no what it comes down to is that we get to use a killer cover free of charge, while designer gets a jumpstart chance here to get his/her art officially displayed with their name established and as said above, nobody is forcing anyone to submit anything. we don't hold a knife against any throats haha! the rules are there from the start, so if people read and accept them and still wanna send in art and be the winner, then who's gonna stop them from doing so.........?
its quite interesting that so far the only people bitching about this have been apparently semi/professionals that... i dont know.... got their pride hurt!?
anyways, the response has been amazing and we got plenty of candidates already. its gonna be tough to choose a winner. we might need yer help to decide that in the end.