current best selling progressive bands

I've enjoyed all of my Tool albums and one time made the mistake of referring to them as "prog" only to have a few of the hardcore Tool fans inform me "they are not a progressive band." LOL

You know what I say? (who care you're getting my opinion anyways!) listen to what you enjoy and go out and support the bands you love. Stop analyzing it!

still never heard of them. BNR Metal does not list them and Metal Archives seems to be down...so WHO ARE THEY?? :Smug:

I do believe the nature of this thread was progressive bands...not necessarily 'metal'.

I'm a big Muse fan and I just picked up their latest release. They're creative and have earned every amount of success they have. With the new album it comes with a making of the disc and I was seriously impressed and surprised, cause the guys know what they're doing and when it comes to the string symphony part of their sound, THEY actually write it! Its awesome.

In the same breath I will say Australian band Karnivool can fit into the Progressive (not necessarily METAL) Band category as well as Incubus in some instances, and hell I'll throw Primus into that too.

*edit* How dare I leave Devin Townsend out of my post...He can write some awesome prog stuff.

Karnivool Video - Disclaimer, Stan you might vomit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've enjoyed all of my Tool albums and one time made the mistake of referring to them as "prog" only to have a few of the hardcore Tool fans inform me "they are not a progressive band." LOL

You know what I say? (who care you're getting my opinion anyways!) listen to what you enjoy and go out and support the bands you love. Stop analyzing it!

Their Hardcore fans are a bunch of Tools!:lol:

Tool is a progressive band and a damn good one at that!

I love Muse and I would definitely lump them into the progressive rock category.

But back to the purpose of this discussion... does anyone know where we could find sales numbers? I'm genuinely curious. It'd also be great to compare to power metal numbers in light of the recent shift of ProgPower. Of course, CD sales =/= ticket sales if the "prog fans like the stay home" argument is indeed true. Now that I think about it, I'd love to run some analysis on all these numbers and more genres as well! Call it the engineer in me, I guess.

I love Muse and I would definitely lump them into the progressive rock category.

But back to the purpose of this discussion... does anyone know where we could find sales numbers? I'm genuinely curious. It'd also be great to compare to power metal numbers in light of the recent shift of ProgPower. Of course, CD sales =/= ticket sales if the "prog fans like the stay home" argument is indeed true. Now that I think about it, I'd love to run some analysis on all these numbers and more genres as well! Call it the engineer in me, I guess.

There isn't a reliable place for numbers, unfortunately. The people who make sales estimates charge a bit of money for their data, and they aren't collecting data from some key online vendors.