LA Weekly blog: The 10 Best Prog Metal Bands

spiral architect is much better than Watchtower when it comes to that style of music...

Spiral Architect was heavily influenced by Watchtower and had they done more than 1 demo and 1 album I think would have warranted inclusion as well. Damn shame what happened with that band. Hoping they finally get around to completing their second release.

Im+just+here+to+watch+comments+while+eating+popcorn,+but+Michael+Jackson+stole+my+popcorn.jpg

Really?

Ok. I'll concede your point with Cynic. Death metal/extreme vocals notwithstanding. Their music was insanely complex and WAY ahead of it's time. I've already acknowledged that in previous posts. Still, not exactly what I would classify as prog metal. But I'll bow to your superior judgement and let it stand.

But King Crimson is prog metal? And Mastodon? Seriously?

Mastodon play metal music that is heavily influenced by 70s progressive rock. Yep, that's what I call prog metal. I suggest you listen to the Crack the Skye album for example. And the prog influences were blatant all the way back on their debut Remission. I'm surprised you haven't had a got at Opeth as well, because to me it looks like you view prog metal as bands that only sound like the big 3 of DT, FW and the Ryche.

King Crimson at their heaviest in the 70s were just about the heaviest band on the planet. They are the quintessential proto prog metal band. Sure they aren't a prog metal as we know it now, but their direct influence is beyond measure. Again I'm not sure why you are so upset by the inclusion, its not one out of left field.

And Liquid Tension Experiment should have a place in any Top Ten prog metal list over Mastodon. Please!!!

In your opinion. I'd have Between the Buried and Me over both, but who cares. To me LTE, Mastodon, BTBAM and some of the other bands mentioned like Watchtower could all lay genuine claims to spots in such a list. None of them are crazy choices.

This is what's great about progressive metal fans. We all argue about what's truly progressive. The funny thing is that we're all right. The term "progressive" has really become more of a blanket term for that which is done outside of the norm. One could argue that once certain features of the music become more commonplace, the music is no longer "progressive." However, we as fans hold these bands to expectations based on what attracted us to their music in the first place. With this in mind, should we consider a band "less progressive" simply because they choose to continue including those elements that have identified them? By the same token, should we simply define the genre as a particular style of music just because an arbitrary number of bands have accepted what came before them as a blueprint to follow? If that's the case, then we'll be depriving ourselves of the bands that stretch the boundaries in the future. The point I'm trying to make is that all of the bands on this list, whether we like them or not, are progressive in some fashion. Okay, X Japan is a stretch, but that's it.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

The term "progressive" has really become more of a blanket term for that which is done outside of the norm. One could argue that once certain features of the music become more commonplace, the music is no longer "progressive." However, we as fans hold these bands to expectations based on what attracted us to their music in the first place. With this in mind, should we consider a band "less progressive" simply because they choose to continue including those elements that have identified them? By the same token, should we simply define the genre as a particular style of music just because an arbitrary number of bands have accepted what came before them as a blueprint to follow? If that's the case, then we'll be depriving ourselves of the bands that stretch the boundaries in the future.

I understand what you guys are saying. I totally get it. It all revolves around the word 'progressive' for you. But my previous point (buried WAY back in the thread somewhere) still stands. As a descriptive term for a specific genre of music, such a definition is a complete fail. We do not do that with any other genre of music on the face of the earth. Consider this...

Classical - Descriptive of a particular musical style...even an era during which that style became dominant. No one disputes this.

Country - Again, a certain style. Sure there is diversity within that style. But there ARE boundaries. Children of Bodom are NOT country!

Blues - An even more definitive style than most. A bit more musically confining than some genres, tolerating little deviation from standard norms.

Folk - Yup. Same as above. Love it or hate it - know it when I hear it.

Progressive Metal - All bets are off...anything goes. Trying to define the style is like nailing jello to the wall. Anything remotely odd or different musically is progressive. Stir in some heavy guitar - VOILA! Progressive metal!