Damian Wilson and Threshold!

YtseJammer

Mar 22, 2002
Long Island, NY
Visit site
According to Blabbermouth:

U.K. progressive metallers THRESHOLD have issued the following update:

"THRESHOLD singer Andrew 'Mac' McDermott has astonished his fellow band members by deciding not to perform at this weekend's Metalcamp and Earthshaker festivals in Slovenia and Germany.

"Fortunately the band's previous singer Damian Wilson has come to the rescue and will perform at the festivals with the band for the first time since 1997.

"Damian Wilson is currently lead singer for the band HEADSPACE who recently supported OZZY OSBOURNE for U.K. shows, including Wembley Arena."

THRESHOLD will embark on the "Live Reckoning Tour" (Part 1) in August/September with support from COMMUNIC, MACHINE MEN and SERENITY. THRESHOLD will also perform at a number of summer and fall festivals, including ProgPower USA and ProgPower Scandinavia.

THRESHOLD's new album, "Dead Reckoning", debuted at the following chart positions in Europe:

Germany: #64
Holland: #95
U.K.: #30 (independent chart)
U.K.: #37 (rock chart)

"Dead Reckoning" has received six "Album of the Month" awards across Europe and Canada. The album was released in the U.S. on April 24.

Does this have any bearing on Progpower? That would be incredible! :OMG:

This is reallyweird...They don't say why Mac chose not to perform these shows...I hope he's still in the band cause for me Mac is a MUCH better singer than Damian Wilson...

That's bad news. Damian is a fine singer and all, but I much prefer more recent Threshold to older Threshold, and it just won't seem right with Damian singing those newer tunes. I hope things work out and Mac will be ready to go again, but after news like this I wouldn't be suprised to see Mac booted from the band on a permanent basis. Time will tell.

Britt

Wow, this is crazy. A chance that we won't see him with Threshold, and then Sonata's guitarist having to miss it cause of his civic duty.

:(

I do love Damian BTW (His Ayreon/Star One stuff especially), but I'm curious how he'll sound with the new songs

Holy Shit! This is the greatest news I have heard in a while. I really hope Damian is back onboard with Threshold. He is the main reason I got into Threshold 10 plus years ago and I have been dying to see him perform live ever since. I obviously hope that everything is ok with Mac on a personal level, but from a business level, I can only pray that Damian shows up in Atlanta to perform with his old bandmates.

There is no other singer in this genre that has such a passionate and expressive voice (other than Khan) in my opinion. The possibility of hearing Consume to Live and Paradox with Damian on vocals just puts a huge smile on my face. Someone tell me this is permanent!!!

An absent Mac would certainly detract from the highest point of the festival for me. No reason to go jumping to conclusions yet, but that would be a huge disappointment.

- Chris

This is reallyweird...They don't say why Mac chose not to perform these shows...I hope he's still in the band cause for me Mac is a MUCH better singer than Damian Wilson...
If you like Mac better, that's cool. I prefer Vince Neil to James LaBrie. That said, I don't believe Vince is the superior vocalist. Mac just isn't in Damian's league. Wilson performed the role of Jean Valjean in Les Miserables for two years. Do you know what kind of voice is required to play that role?

If Wilson performs ProgPower, Threshold goes from drinking time to me being right up front.

Zod

Yeah, wow, that doesn't sound good. For the band to post that on their web site... :/

Of course, as someone whose husband's filling in for his old band's new singer a couple of times, I know there can be more to the story, but this just doesn't sound good at all IMO.

Shaye

I guess I'm another in the minority. I prefer Mac to Damian. Hell, I prefer Glynn Morgan over Damian.
I loved Damian in Landmarq. I loved Damian on Wounded Land. But I think he's the wrong guy for Threshold. Glynn Morgan is *the* right guy. Psychedelicatessen is the band's peak where everything was perfect. Now that Nick is gone and the band is writing more accessible music, I think that Glynn is a better fit than ever. All that said, I think Mac has held his own. The last couple discs have been great, and his work with Yargos is fab. I'd hate to see him go.

If you like Mac better, that's cool. I prefer Vince Neil to James LaBrie. That said, I don't believe Vince is the superior vocalist. Mac just isn't in Damian's league. Wilson performed the role of Jean Valjean in Les Miserables for two years. Do you know what kind of voice is required to play that role?

If Wilson performs ProgPower, Threshold goes from drinking time to me being right up front.

Zod

OK, I'll just say that I don't like Wilson's voice a lot, even though he's a good singer. Is it better for you? :eek:)

A long time ago, someone sent me a CD with tracks from "Wounded Land" and "Psychedelicatessen". To be honest, I wasn't interested until the Glynn tracks kicked in.

You can tell me Damian was the greatest singer in the world till you are blue in the face, and I'll still say that he was a bad fit for Threshold.

Jason