Damian Wilson and Threshold!

Zod, given your stance on singers, I'm really surprised you aren't more of a fan of Falconer's Mathies Blad. Listen to a song like "Clarion Call" and you can feel the musical / metal fusion.
I have. I actually think I own that disc, though I never listen to it. I'll have to throw it in the car and give it a spin.

Zod

Finally, to not hijack this post and bring it back to Threshold, I thought about Mac's vocals some more. They are unique enough, and the songs seem to be written for his style. I'm sure others could sing them and I'd still like the music, but in this case, I think the vocalist helps make the song.

Steve in Philly

I couldn't agree with you more on that.

Fellow ProgPower Fourmers...

The following is a QUOTE from the Threshold Fourm (Thresh.net) written by keyboardist Richard West:

"Mac was due to arrive in England on Saturday for band rehearsals, but on Saturday morning he sent us a short email saying he has to get on with his life and he's not coming. It was totally unexpected and we're all shocked by the news. Mac won't answer our phone calls so we can't get any more information from him. With two festivals to perform next weekend our only option was to cancel the shows or find a replacement singer. Fortunately our old singer Damian Wilson was able to step in and help out, he's now very busy learning the new material in time for Friday's show in Slovenia. We don't know what the long-term solution is, our focus right now is on the two festivals, we'll see how they go and take it from there."

Sadly this news does not sound good for the future... Looks like there may be a new singer search...

Fellow ProgPower Fourmers...

The following is a QUOTE from the Threshold Fourm (Thresh.net) written by keyboardist Richard West:

"Mac was due to arrive in England on Saturday for band rehearsals, but on Saturday morning he sent us a short email saying he has to get on with his life and he's not coming. It was totally unexpected and we're all shocked by the news. Mac won't answer our phone calls so we can't get any more information from him. With two festivals to perform next weekend our only option was to cancel the shows or find a replacement singer. Fortunately our old singer Damian Wilson was able to step in and help out, he's now very busy learning the new material in time for Friday's show in Slovenia. We don't know what the long-term solution is, our focus right now is on the two festivals, we'll see how they go and take it from there."

Sadly this news does not sound good for the future... Looks like there may be a new singer search...

Fuck, that doesn't sound good....thanks for the update. I was hoping maybe somebody got sick or something, but sadly, it sounds like it'll either be a new singer, or a last minute roster change for the PP fest. :erk:
After seeing Threshold the last time they played Prog Power, I became a fanboi, and was looking forward to their return, especially with such a solid release under thir belt, and lots of good reviews. Best wishes to all involved... I hope they can pull out of this nose dive.....

Wow, i was waiting for some sort of update and based on the word the band used "astonished", i knew this was more than Mac being sick or dealing with a personal issue.

This may very well turn out to be the best news I have heard all year as if Damian Wilson goes over well this weekend, it seems as if there may be a strong chance of him rejoining the band!!! I mean he's already learning all the material and apparently he and the rest of the band squashed any differences they may have had in the past.

Damian back at the helm would be pricesless for me; yes i'm a fan boy. I don't give a shit; i love the guy's voice. His solo albums are so emotional and his vocal expressions send shivers down my spine every time i listen. I anxiously await the feedback from this weekends upcoming festivals and I really hope they are recorded in some shape or fashion. Damian will conquer all of the new material and relive the older tunes. Wish i could be there!

Well I look at it this way - if there is any band that has survived such an amount of lineup changes it is THRESHOLD

I will say I am extremely disappointed that MAC has decided to go this way - and at the same time, quite excited that we might get Damian in October.

If Wilson performs ProgPower, Threshold goes from drinking time to me being right up front.

Zod

I have to solidly agree with this. Damian is easily my favorite Ayreon talent, and I bought Gary Hughes' "Once And Future King" album just to hear more from him. I think his voice is so passionate and awesome.

I feel bad to knock on Mac's voice, he has kind of established himself in the band, but if I'm commenting on my own personal preference, I would headbutt chumps just to get a front row view of Damian Wilson belting out early Threshold material (as well as newer Mac-voiced tunes).:headbang:

I really wish we could get a definite report on how this will affect OUR festival!

somehow I get the impression Glenn doesn't have anything to actually chime in with yet in terms of our scheduled date.....

We all (including the band themselves) just found out about this - Threshold looks to have covered the first two shows with Damian instead of canceling and they are worried about pulling those off before worrying about the definitive fate of the band - I am sure as soon as Glenn hears official word from Richard or the rest of the guys after they figure out what they will do about the rest of the tour, he will comment

Speaking for myself and not on behalf of PPUSA - I've always viewed the talent of Threshold beyond the vocalist slot. I've managed to love all their albums, regardless of which singer it was, in its own individual way. My fav album by them is Extinct Instinct yet Psychedelicatessan and Dead Reckoning/Hypothetical are not far behind. That's 3 different singers there for those counting :) .

I look forward (hopefully) to seeing Threshold in October no matter which singer comes along with their appearance!

Yeah, I hope it doesn't get too extreme and cause Threshold to have to not play ProgPower (If Damian can't/doesn't want to do all the shows if Mac doesn't come back)

I missed Threshold at their prior PP and I kick myself

Speaking for myself and not on behalf of PPUSA - I've always viewed the talent of Threshold beyond the vocalist slot. I've managed to love all their albums, regardless of which singer it was, in its own individual way. My fav album by them is Extinct Instinct yet Psychedelicatessan and Dead Reckoning/Hypothetical are not far behind. That's 3 different singers there for those counting :) .

I look forward (hopefully) to seeing Threshold in October no matter which singer comes along with their appearance!
Good point. I'd still see Threshold with any good to great singer. There is more to Threshold than just the singer.

Since I just can't help but play Devil's Advocate...

For all those who want Damian Wilson back in Threshold, who's to say that he wants to take the lead singer slot back on a full-time/permanent basis? And if he doesn't... who can you imagine successfully tackling and filling the vacancy?

For all those who want Damian Wilson back in Threshold, who's to say that he wants to take the lead singer slot back on a full-time/permanent basis? And if he doesn't... who can you imagine successfully tackling and filling the vacancy?

Well I never knew who MAC was until he joined and he worked out fine... this band has had so many roster chnages and STILL keeps on going, I have confidence in Richard and Karl that they can find a great singewr if Damian is unwilling. I believe Damian bowed out after Extinct Instinct because he did not want to be touring all the time and focus on his theater career - maybe now that he has done that, he might be more willing to come back - we'll see.

And as for the songs, I was surprised how much I liked Morgan singing earlier Damian stuff and MAC singing both Damian and Morgan's stuff - so the bands choice of a singer obviously synchs up with their total catalog of songs and their style - it just might not be apparent that a new singer can really do justice to previous material until you hear it for the first time.

[and just as a side note, I don't know - as a personal observation, on any kind of behind the scenes stuff I had seen with MAC, he really didn't seem to radiate a 'I am really ecstatic to be singing in this great band' vibe... and some of the way he acted in the live DVD/CD Critical Energy made me question his front man attitude.... I am shocked he made an announcement like this with how well the band is doing but not 100% surprised....]

As MetalAges said, I think I'll enjoy Threshold regardless of who is singing. They are great songwriters and as long as they get a quality singer, I think they'll be able to make it work. But I'm with you as well - I can't imagine anyone filling the vacancy right now. Certainly it wouldn't be the same without him.

Richard West posted the following over at the Threshold forum at Ultimate Metal.

Mac was due to arrive in England on Saturday for band rehearsals, but on Saturday morning he sent us a short email saying he has to get on with his life and he's not coming. It was totally unexpected and we're all shocked by the news. Mac won't answer our phone calls so we can't get any more information from him. With two festivals to perform next weekend our only option was to cancel the shows or find a replacement singer. Fortunately our old singer Damian Wilson was able to step in and help out, he's now very busy learning the new material in time for Friday's show in Slovenia. We don't know what the long-term solution is, our focus right now is on the two festivals, we'll see how they go and take it from there.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/threshold/320143-mac-pulls-out-shows.html