Damian Wilson and Threshold!

I too enjoy listening to the overdubs on Critical Energy.

If he was that good, he would have done more then bit parts and back up gigs over the last ten years. I own Wounded Land, and it's a solid albumn, but that's it. I said that I like his work but this isn't Broadway, it's ProgPower. :kickass:

I just don't understand the seemingly unprofessional attitude of the front man who "needs to get on with [his] life," thus leaving his band mates out in the cold. It's not like Threshold is some stupid little garage band, they are an established part of the progressive music genre, and I'd hate to see that kind of blase' attitude toward the whole thing.

That was very unprofessional for Mac to do that. Kinda reminded me of when Ricky Williams suddenly retired from the Phins with no warning or anything. That basically killed their season and they really haven't been the same since.

I just bought my first Threshold CD (Subsurface). May have to get some of their earlier albums now.

Yes...do get some earlier material. Subsurface just is not all that good...bad place to start. Hypothetical (Mac)is their shining moment IMO. Extinct Instinct would be the one to have with Damian.

I am actually liking Subsurface. I don't have anything to compare it to yet. But if the other albums are supposed to be a lot better than this one, I will certainly pick them up soon.

And on the lead singer debate. I do think Damian is technically a better singer than Mac. I don't think anyone is wrong for liking one over the other. It is a matter of taste. A decent comparison about differing styles might be Bruce and Paul with Iron Maiden. I know some people who like Paul more than Bruce. Bruce is way more refined and polished. Paul is grittier and that worked well on the first 2 albums. The people who like Paul better like the grittier aspect. I like Paul, but he doesn't hold a candle to Bruce in singing ability.

I am actually liking Subsurface. I don't have anything to compare it to yet. But if the other albums are supposed to be a lot better than this one, I will certainly pick them up soon.

Subsurface is probably the weakest of the Mac-era albums. As others have mentioned, Hypothetical is probably the best album he's done with the band.

As to this whole situation, I'll reserve judgment until the whole story is known, but that sucks for the band.

Personally, if they do make a permanent change, I hope it is someone other than Damian. Talented or no, I don't like the qualities in his voice. It probably won't stop me from picking up the next album, but it would make it harder for me to get excited about it.

Jason

Subsurface weaker than Critical Mass?

Not in my book - Critical Mass is half great songs and half MEH tunes....

One thing I love about Subsurface is the 'unity' of the album having one person (Richard West) write all the lyrics. Thematically everything hangs together tight.

Hypothetical is definitely the best of MAC

[although ironically I have had CLONE here at work for the past week and forgotten how strong some of the tunes are on here - and nothing touches Sunrise on Mars - probably some of Mac's best work]

Subsurface is right up there w/ Hypothetical (my fave) and Dead Reckoning for me. Critical Mass is much weaker than Subsurface, the songs lacking focus and attack.

I think Dead Reckoning is the best, Subsurface second best. This band just keeps on getting better. I'm not so hot on the previous ones, although Wounded Land is pretty decent in spots.

They played Ravages of Time at PPIII and they damn well better play it again. Favorite song, definitely!