Devin Townsend or Strapping Young Lad for PPVIII?

Devin’s played PP before. I love his solo stuff—VERY progressive, and very appropriate for ProgPower.

Strapping Young Lad, however, is like a way better Fear Factory (they share bassists to boot); but they are more of an industrial, technical extreme metal band than anything. They are quite unique and progressive, but so are bands like UneXpect or Subterranean Masquerade; I don’t know if those bands would be invited for this fest either. I love SYL; but I don’t know how they’d fit in with the other bands, or how the crowd would react to them.

Devin - Yes. I would love to see him again. A few songs before Opeth was not enough!

SYL - No. I think they're way too extreme for this festival.

dt
Agree totally with that. Devin would be great but SYL wouldn't work. Oh, glad you enjoy the radio. Spreading the word is what it's all about. :headbang:

Devun's stage antics are funny, but the music itself doesn't make me wanna race home and download the sheet music to start learning it. Yes he's a great musician. But his music isn't really that thrilling or standing out from a typical hardcore show.

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION!!! Gotta drop that preemptive disclaimer...

I think SYL is way better and more adventurous than the solo material, but it's way too heavy and death vocal-y for ProgPower USA. As for the solo stuff... any chance of his band appearing again was pretty much shot down by the lack of a sense of humor of many of the attendees who saw him play last time.

I have heard about DT's sense of humor at PP 3, but what the hell did he say that was so awful to piss off so many people.

Side Note: I love his solo work as well as SYL, but SYL playing PP I think we have a better chance of getting Iron Maiden.

"Here's a new song, stick this in your (see-you-next-tuesday)." and other assorted comments that were obviously in jest, but not funny to the stuckup PP3 crowd.

Funny how, only four years later, Freak Kitchen can play guitar with an ass dildo, and suddenly it's funny.

I saw him at PP3 and I thought he was terrible. He was definitly funny - but it pretty much ends there. I don't understand the appeal to him at all. It's like sloggy power chord riffs with nothing really unique or clever about them at all. Personally I didn't find him to be a very good musician at all. I got to see him again opening for Symphony X and confirmed that I'm not a fan at all. Reminds me of BLS material... just kinda sludging away on riffs.

"Here's a new song, stick this in your (see-you-next-tuesday)." and other assorted comments that were obviously in jest, but not funny to the stuckup PP3 crowd.

Funny how, only four years later, Freak Kitchen can play guitar with an ass dildo, and suddenly it's funny.

It's all in the presentation.....:heh:
I don't care for any of Devins stuff, and barely tolerated him with Vai's band, way back when. I did sit watch his set at PPIII, and musically, I just didn't do anything for me. -1,000,000 UM rep points for the first three people who tell me I just don't get it :lol:

J-Dubya

It's all in the presentation.....:heh:
I don't care for any of Devins stuff, and barely tolerated him with Vai's band, way back when. I did sit watch his set at PPIII, and musically, I just didn't do anything for me. -1,000,000 UM rep points for the first three people who tell me I just don't get it :lol:

J-Dubya

Jdub you gotta be smarter than the music to get the music.:loco:

Devin at PP8 would GUARANTEE my ticket to a show I'm otherwise probably not attending. He is my favorite single person in rock/metal. SYL is one thing, and I wouldn't want them at PP, but the DTB would be my perfect draw. I've only seen DTB once in the Symphony X tour and I really, really want to see them again! (the Opeth tour didn't come to michigan)

I think Devin Townsend coming back to ProgPower is a good idea.

Not SYL, not because they're too extreme, but because they're not very good anymore.