Devin Townsend or Strapping Young Lad for PPVIII?

When have they posted an unconfirmed rumor that ended up false?

Constantly. How the hell do you think they're always "first" with all the metal news? They post rumors, then they leave up the ones that end up being true, and take down the ones that end up being false. It's well-known in the scene, and they even admit to it; you must be the only person who doesn't know about this.

Even if Devin Townsend is givin it all up, I still wish to see him or SYL again. SYL won't be the same if they continue without him.
But for Progpower I'd probably like to see him solo. More progressive and symphonic. You can't listen to SYL and not want to kill someone and they frown upon that stuff at Progpower. I hope the rumors aren't true and if they are I hope we get to see him one last time.

Welcome, Mother Confessor.

DTB at PP? I'd love it. Synchestra was a splendid disc and DTB has NOT played Atlanta since their appearance at PPUSA. Devy's solo releases are either very good or brilliant.

SYL would be a bit too extreme, and as Gene confirmed via a MySpace blog post (copied by Blabbermouth), SYL is on indefinite hiatus.

He did NOT address Devy's solo band, though........hmmmm.

SYL would be a bit too extreme, and as Gene confirmed via a MySpace blog post (copied by Blabbermouth), SYL is on indefinite hiatus.

He did NOT address Devy's solo band, though........hmmmm.

He's not in it, having quit in mid-2002 or thereabouts. However, you may recall Dev did say this year that DTB will continue as usual except that they're going to get more mellow/light.

I love Devin's solo stuff, have all his CD's (I have the SYL discs too but have to be in a certain frame of mind to listen to that stuff). Synchrestra is one of my favorite CD's of this year and Ocean Machine, Terria, and Physicist are masterpieces.

That said, his performance at PP3 was a big disappointment for me. The set list left a lot to be desired IMHO, and the soundmix was so bad (and loud) that some songs were barely recognizable. If somebody had never heard his stuff before that night, I could easily understand them walking away from his set and being unimpressed.

I'd love to see DTB live but am guessing it probably won't happen at PP. Really though, I don't know that a live performance of his stuff can ever truly deliver all that's on the CD's anyway. Much of his best material isn't really adaptable to a live performance I think.

I agree with the spirit of what jkohn is pointing out. That said, DTB I think WOULD be able to really communicate the essence of their music in a headlining on their own tour (which is not realistic anytime soon unfortunately). In a festival setting or in an opening slot on a tour, their resources are necessarily limited, but I'd love to see what kind of show they could really pull out if they were headlining a tour or one-off show. What happened with Dev at PP3, I guess, would be comparable to what happened with Zero Hour this year. Their fans ate it up, but reaction from those unfamiliar with ZH seemed to be majority negative. As a Devy fanatic, I still wanna see him at ProgPower just because I want to see him SOMEWHERE! But I understand such a set would have trouble winning over new fans.