Devin Townsend

nightwish58

Feb 11, 2002
New York
Visit site
Is it just me, or does anyone else not understand what all the fuss is about this guy. I downloaded some songs, and it literally sounds like pure garbage to me. Definitely not Power Metal, and you would have to stretch very far to classify him as progressive metal. Any opinions? Thanks

P.S.- To me, it sounds like industrial junk, and I just don't see how he fits into this years lineup.:confused:

I did try Infinity several times and just could not get into it. I know he has a following here though which is cool, but I'm with you - I didn't find it inspiring at all.

I do think he did a great job producing the Soilwork CD though.

I got Ocean Machine, I like the CD, It's kinda mellow. I have no idea how his other albums are, but going by "Ocean Machine" I think he fits on the PP3 bill. I will probably try his Terria disc

Originally posted by nightwish58
Is it just me, or does anyone else not understand what all the fuss is about this guy. I downloaded some songs, and it literally sounds like pure garbage to me. Definitely not Power Metal, and you would have to stretch very far to classify him as progressive metal. Any opinions? Thanks

P.S.- To me, it sounds like industrial junk, and I just don't see how he fits into this years lineup.:confused:

What exactly did you hear?

-

Devin Townsend co-sponsor.

And I guess I should address the last bit...

Last year, I sponsored Dan Swanö/Nightingale, and he'd made his name in extreme metal, but was playing anything but...

This year, it got out that we wanted Opeth, which again doesn't fit the usual prog/power mold... that didn't work out...

So now, Devin.

A wildcard. Not the norm. Something to challenge the people a bit from the usual idea on the 'prog' side.

Too bad he's not doing any SYL stuff (I was hoping for one song at least...) but if he moves between Infinity and Terria and Ocean Machine material and you can't call him 'progressive' (and damn sure not in the Dream Theater or Symphony X vein)... well, we just strongly disagree with what it means. I can't wait til Cea Serin takes the stage at the pre-show and people soil their pants over that...

This is all my *personal opinion*, I'll make that clear, that a festival like this, or any festival containing the name 'prog', should have many bands that will not necessarily appeal to fans of the other bands on the bill. A progressive lineup of progressive bands, keeping the fans happy with their favorites and maybe confused by the new stuff they haven't heard. Not fitting with each other in sound... if Glenn allows me to sponsor next year, I'll attempt to add to the chaos once again as I have last year and then this year, trying to bring in a talented band that's the 'outsider.'

Pain of Salvation, Threshold, Blind Guardian, Devin Townsend, Zero Hour, right there half of the lineup is extremely different and fresh from each other... Gamma Ray is legend... a very diverse festival and that's not even counting the bands I haven't heard or don't so much count as my favorites.

You might not like Devin Townsend being on the bill. I might not be thrilled about, say, Edguy being there. We can both well get over it, cause they're coming, and a good portion of the crowd will enjoy each of them. :)

The song I heard was "Moutain", and it was terrible. Maybe I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions so quickly, but if that is representative of his work, at least I'll have some time to buy cd's at the festival!!!

One song?

You based your opinion of this artist's work on one song? I'm not trying to be harsh here but I fail to see how you can make the determination that Devin is not suitable for ProgPower after listening to one song.

There are artists on the bill that I don't care for, but I don't question the right they have to be on the bill. Personally I wish Devin had a headlining slot, but I'm thankful that I at least get to see him.

The point is we should'nt worry about whether this band is "proggy" enough. We should be thankful we have the chance to see such an eclectic line up.

Actually I heard more than 1 song, and I still say his style does not seem to fit the bill here. If I downloaded a song from any other band on the roster, the music would be what I expect to hear. Don't get me wrong, I like everyone else am thrilled with this years lineup. I was simply caught off guard when I heard Devin Townsend would be one of the performers. Just not your typical prog power type of music. That's all.

Just not your typical prog power type of music.

That's exactly what I wanted to accomplish. I will always attempt to throw the crowd a curveball and expand a few horizons.

Of course, it helps that I'm a big fan of his solo material. :worship:

Glenn H.

Actually I heard more than 1 song, and I still say his style does not seem to fit the bill here. If I downloaded a song from any other band on the roster, the music would be what I expect to hear. Don't get me wrong, I like everyone else am thrilled with this years lineup. I was simply caught off guard when I heard Devin Townsend would be one of the performers. Just not your typical prog power type of music. That's all.

I apologize Nightwish, earlier in the post you mentioned you had heard the song Mountain, but did not list anything else.

he's not power metal, but his music is better than anything out there today. download songs like life, funeral, bad devil, noisy pink bubbles, christeen, kingdom, jupiter, sit in the mountain, deep peace. he basically owns the majority of artists out there today, in every way possible.

Originally posted by Jesper
he's not power metal, but his music is better than anything out there today. download songs like life, funeral, bad devil, noisy pink bubbles, christeen, kingdom, jupiter, sit in the mountain, deep peace. he basically owns the majority of artists out there today, in every way possible.

Do you really believe that his music is better than anything out there today? I know that's your opinion but it seems to a be a statement of the sweeping kind...:)

Bad Devil, Noisy Pink Bubbles, Christeen - anything from Infinity just didn't click for me. I haven't heard his other stuff, but this stuff was pretty unforgiving and I happily returned the CD (after giving it several attempts to be fair)....

well, obviously he's not for everyone, and i definitely respect peoples opinions on music, regarding devin or not. i havent ever heard any band or solo artist with the same vision or passion when it comes to creating music. its hard to explain, but if you head over to his website and read the reviews of his stuff then youll know what i mean. he claims he doesnt write music, just that it "writes itself." and all this other weird stuff that really makes you understand where he's at, as far as headspace. there are lots of other dev worshippers out there, so im not alone! too bad there isnt a dev forum here on this board...hmm.

anywho...yea, hes not for everyone, maybe if you hear some other stuff from ocean machine or physicist or terria youd be able to get into it perhaps? also, this is a "metal" bb...i trust youve heard his brilliance with strapping young lad right? if not, go buy "City" right now!!!!

Originally posted by maestro_al
Do you really believe that his music is better than anything out there today?

What's great about Devin is that he's so unique, and he's got enough depth in material, that such a statement is easily believed.

I don't think he owns all, but I think he's one of the very few geniuses working within metal right now.

Anyone who bases their opinion on Devin from one disc, is surely missing out. In my opinion, 'Infinity' is certainly not his best work. And whoever called Devin 'Industrial' certainly has hearing problems. Nightwish58 said the song "Mountain' sounded industrial. WHAT? Those aren't industrial beats, it's Gene f'n Hoglan. C'mon man. Go get Ocean Machine and Terria. When you're ready for some brutal stuff, try Strapping Young Lad.

Originally posted by Dreamlord
C'mon man. Go get Ocean Machine and Terria. When you're ready for some brutal stuff, try Strapping Young Lad.

i bought 'Infinity' and 'Ocean Machine' just a week ago. and 'Ocean Machine' is already one of my most favorite CDs i got this year. i haven't heard 'Infinity' yet, as i always want to repeat to play 'Ocean Machine' :p i love the sound itself, but i also impressed by what he had to tell through this CD. i'm going to get Terria next time. thank you for the advice Dreamlord.

Any time. You also might want to try Devin's "Physicist" album. Many people consider this his worst disc, but I find it much more enjoyable than Infinity. Physicist sounds like Stapping Young Lad 'Lite'. But Ocean Machine and Terria are definitely his best accessable albums.

SYL is just pure rage. Slipknot pale in comparison. SYL is not marketable teenage I'm-mad-at-my-parents anger. SYL is pure unbridled fuck-you anger. How therapeutic it is.

P.S. When buying a SYL disc, get 'City' first. SYL first album, 'Heavy as a Real Heavy Thing' is good but there are only a few good songs. Stick with 'City'