Devin Townsend

Originally posted by Dreamlord
Any time. You also might want to try Devin's "Physicist" album. Many people consider this his worst disc, but I find it much more enjoyable than Infinity.

I've heard disasterous things about Infinity - is Physicist as bad?

Originally posted by JayKeeley

I've heard disasterous things about Infinity - is Physicist as bad?

No. Infinity is more pop sounding. Physicist is for heavy metal sounding. Personally, I like Physicist a lot. It does has about 2-3 filler songs, but the rest is very good. Here is the order I would buy them.

Ocean Machine
Terria
Physicist
SYL- City
Infinity
Heavy as a Real Heavy Thing

Search around the web for reviews. www.chedsey.com is an excellent review site. He has reviewed every Devin CD. Check it out.

Well, Devin is not Prog. So if you are banking on Devin being Prog, simply because he is at ProgPower, think again. So all of you who just listen to Prog and nothing else, will not like Devin.

I knew he wasn't prog from the second one of his songs hit my speakers. And what else would we expect at a progpower festival??? That was why I was caught by surprise when I downloaded his stuff. I have no problem with others saying how great he is (it's all a matter of opinion). I just simply questioned his presence at a progpower festival. Het 9 out of 10 ain't bad!!!

you guys are nuts!!

Infinity is the most impressive piece of music I have ever heard in my life...ever!!! There is more creativity and jaw dropping stuff on that album than anything I have heard! Physicist is remarkable as well. All of Devin's works are simply incredible. Ocean machine and Terria are beyond words, no question...but Infinity?? Distasterous??? If youre open minded then you will see, no not just see or realize...you will FEEL the power of the album after a few progressive listens. Truly great stuff.

Wow the Devy fans are pretty rabid. Maybe you have to listen to an entire disc to be assimilated :)

I listen to everything from Renaissance to Fusion and still don't like any of the Devy stuff I've heard. But I don't mind him being at ProgPower. Any of the bands at PP are a welcome relief from the usual US concerts.

Originally posted by Devy_Metal
you guys are nuts!!

Infinity is the most impressive piece of music I have ever heard in my life...ever!!! There is more creativity and jaw dropping stuff on that album than anything I have heard! Physicist is remarkable as well. All of Devin's works are simply incredible. Ocean machine and Terria are beyond words, no question...but Infinity?? Distasterous??? If youre open minded then you will see, no not just see or realize...you will FEEL the power of the album after a few progressive listens. Truly great stuff.

It's remarkable really. I bought it and hated it immediately. Then I listened to it four or five more times and it was a real effort not to hit the 'eject' button. I was trying to give it a good chance. I bought it for two reasons: the excitement of seeing new bands at PPUSA, and the fact that it was the only Devin CD The End Records had in stock....my mistake I accept.

At some point though, you realize life is too short and if you need to listen to something 100 times before you realize resistance is futile - ode to Strigoi :) - then it's just not worth it in my book.

Devin townsend just does nothing for me. Even after 5 or 6 listens. Infinity alone was enough to put me off him for life - shame I got that first really. He should stick to producing perhaps - he did good with Soilwork.

P.S. He's an ugly bastard too. That Infinity cover should have been rethought. Naked women I can deal with - but not naked balding men with Canada tatooed to their shin. Bloody hell. :lol:

I have to say that as someone who will goto to progpower (for the first time ever), it will be a brilliant event and I simply cannot wait.

The bands that will be on show this year simply look awesome apart from Devin Townsend. Now, I am not gonna blurt on, but I do seem quite perplexed how this guy will be on for 2 hours and yet Ed Guy is only on for an hour, I mean that is just plain madness!!

I bought Heavy as a Really Heavy thing, and I have to say that I wish I could have my money back (or donate this album to some charity). I had heard from others that this was the album which was presumably the best thing. I actually think that this album simply lacks any depth as it sounds like something mixed with Nine Inch Nails (who I think are better!!), and is simply arse.

The problem is that the BIG bill consists of Blind Guardian, Angra, Gamma Ray and Pain of Salvation. All have just incredible albums and tracks which just beat anything around. Then we have Ed Guy, and after listening to Mandrake (recently), I think that Devin and Ed Guy should swap places.

Ed Guy have consistently shown they have the depth and the incredible music composition to pull anything off, listen to the opening of Tears of a Mandrake or even Pharoah, and throw in Vain Glory Opera and all the other tracks they have done. Now compare that to the BIG bands on the bill and now Devin? It makes you think that Devin is in the wrong order full stop.

Sure there are people out there that like him, but the whole theme of those bands broken with Devin sound just out of place. I don't think he has a musical style which matches the depth of composition as heard in the other bands that I have mentioned, and he seems a bit out of place in this concert.

I mean SYL Vs Tears of Mandrake (or any song by Ed Guy)?? Ed Guy wins by a million votes !!

Now, I am not gonna blurt on, but I do seem quite perplexed how this guy will be on for 2 hours and yet Ed Guy is only on for an hour, I mean that is just plain madness!!

I believe you read the schedule wrong. Devin only receives 60 minutes (same as Edguy). Furthermore, they are on different nights at the same place in the bill (3rd each night).

The problem is that the BIG bill consists of Blind Guardian, Angra, Gamma Ray and Pain of Salvation.

All four of them are receiving 90 minute sets as headline/co-headliners.

Glenn H.

Originally posted by Metal_Thailand

The problem is that the BIG bill consists of Blind Guardian, Angra, Gamma Ray and Pain of Salvation. All have just incredible albums and tracks which just beat anything around. Then we have Ed Guy, and after listening to Mandrake (recently), I think that Devin and Ed Guy should swap places.

It's Edguy. One word. :D

And if anyone should be swapped about, it should be Pain of Salvation and Edguy. Let's face it - this year all the focus is on power. :headbang:

Still, I can live with the line up schedule, and re: Devin, I guess every gig needs a beer / CD shopping break.

Originally posted by JayKeeley

It's remarkable really. I bought it and hated it immediately. Then I listened to it four or five more times and it was a real effort not to hit the 'eject' button. I was trying to give it a good chance. I bought it for two reasons: the excitement of seeing new bands at PPUSA, and the fact that it was the only Devin CD The End Records had in stock....my mistake I accept.

At some point though, you realize life is too short and if you need to listen to something 100 times before you realize resistance is futile - ode to Strigoi :) - then it's just not worth it in my book.

Devin townsend just does nothing for me. Even after 5 or 6 listens. Infinity alone was enough to put me off him for life - shame I got that first really. He should stick to producing perhaps - he did good with Soilwork.

P.S. He's an ugly bastard too. That Infinity cover should have been rethought. Naked women I can deal with - but not naked balding men with Canada tatooed to their shin. Bloody hell. :lol:

it's strange how one man's prize can be another man's garbage :)

after reading that, i cant help but wonder why or how you couldnt get into that album. i definitely respect your opinion, no question...open mindedness is rare, so i like to express it :D

but...songs like colonial boy, noisy pink bubbles.....man...powerful!

Thanks for being so gracious in the response. :)

I don't know why I don't like Devin really. Back in 1988 I was obsessed with Joe Satch - especially albums like Surfing with the Alien and Flying in a Blue Dream.

I just hear Devin and think he's a poor mans Satriani, without the benefit of being a guitar virtuoso. There's nothing original on Infinity that wasn't done better elsewhere. In fact, the stuff I hated by Joe Satch, e.g. Big Bad Moon, The Telephone Call, Can't Slow Down - that is, all his vocal oriented songs, seems to be epitomized by Devin Townsend.

I mean, if you could choose your dream line up, would you really include him over bands like Iced Earth, Nevermore, Helloween, Rhapsody, Opeth etc - all bands that never made it to the bill?

That's exactly how I feel and why I originally started this post. Not to mention, what about Labyrinth, Elegy, Freedom Call, Stratovarius, Empty Tremor, Tad Morose, Valley's Eve, Stigmata IV, Skylark, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Eldritch, etc... The amazing list goes on and on. Hey, at least we have plenty to choose from for next year. Honestly, I don't care who else is there when such bands as Angra, Blind Guardian, Edguy, Gamma Ray, Threshold, and Pain of Salvation will be blowing my mind on the same stage!!! Great job Glenn. This is truly a dream come true. Please take note of the bands I mentioned for next year!!! See ya all there! Later

Id take Dev over any band in the world :)

It's cool if you dont like him...but to say Infinity isnt original...well...that's a big stretch IMO....I think the entire album is original. Ive never heard songs like Bad Devil or Ants or Noisy Pink Bubbles anywhere else....However, Dev's music on Infinity is vocally dominated, so if you dont like that (like you said) I can see why it would be very hard for you to enjoy it or appreciate it.

But, thats just my opinion. :)

take it easy.

Originally posted by Devy_Metal
Ive never heard songs like Bad Devil or Ants or Noisy Pink Bubbles anywhere else....

Try Flying in a Blue Dream by Joe Satriani circa 1989.

Here is the review from CDnow (or CMJ new music report of the same timeframe):

Guitar hero and teacher to everyone from Steve Vai to Kirk Hammett to Larry Lalonde, Joe Satriani is back with a new LP that sets him even further away from the rest of the Satch wannabees. This highly powerful and emotional record is full of all the riffs and leads that made this hero the legend that he's become, while incorporating a few new elements, like... HE ACTUALLY SINGS! He's pretty good, too! (Although his vocals on "Can't Slow Down" are so late Ozzy-era Sabbath that it's scary.) Even though it often carries a retro-type style, Satch manages to keep the record sounding contemporary. And we don't even need to say how amazing his guitar playing is. Also check "One Big Rush," the banjo-bluesy "The Phone Call" and the title track.