Devin Townsend

Originally posted by Metal_Thailand
Ed Guy have consistently shown they have the depth and the incredible music composition to pull anything off

Yes, they have incredibly deep Helloween collections and they can compose a lot of power metal stuff.

SYL, Infinity, Terria, Ocean Machine... taken as a whole... Devin makes things that go beyond all the standard categories...

... Edguy is power metal... nothing more, nothing less.

Guess who I think is the compositional master of these two? :)

Originally posted by JayKeeley
I mean, if you could choose your dream line up, would you really include him over bands like Iced Earth, Nevermore, Helloween, Rhapsody, Opeth etc - all bands that never made it to the bill?

Well I'd put Opeth over anyone, on the bill or not...

Otherwise, the only groups I'd put over Devin Townsend are Blind Guardian and Pain of Salvation...

Iced Earth would have been cool... as headliners. Then I could go home and go to bed early. ;)

Originally posted by Jim LotFP

... Edguy is power metal... nothing more, nothing less.

Guess who I think is the compositional master of these two? :)

Funny when Avantasia is considered one of the greatest compositional albums of the last ten years. You should check out www.metal-rules.com - they voted it the best CD of last year.

And Mandrake is just astounding. (It made the number 10 spot in the same poll). So when we talk about compositions, bands like Edguy, Angra and Rhapsody really are the cream of the crop - unless you count Queensryche and Joe Satch clones as innovators.

But you're right - people are just lining up for miles to see Devin and nobody's thinking that PPUSA will sell out this year due to the majestic presence of Gamma Ray, Angra, Blind Guardian, and Edguy.:D

Tell you what - just for this year, the power fans will take the show over - which you know we will - (hence the power bands being the main attractions and headlining both nights), and you can have Reading Zero play for ten hours non stop next year all to yourself. :)

And I'm sure the place will be heaving when Pain of Salvation take the stage after Blind Guardian! Yep - I agree - Iced Earth to headline next year! :D :D :lol:

Originally posted by maestro_al
Funny when Avantasia is considered one of the greatest compositional albums of the last ten years. You should check out www.metal-rules.com - they voted it the best CD of last year.

I thought Avantasia was one of the more obvious cash-ins of last year. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... I felt embarrassed as a metal fan listening to that album. Defeis was the only saving grace.

The only time I look at Metal Rules is when someone forwards me a link of something marvelously dimwitted that they think I'll laugh at. Sometimes I want to respond on their message board to something but the mods there intelligently don't approve my registration.

And Mandrake is just astounding. (It made the number 10 spot in the same poll). So when we talk about compositions, bands like Edguy, Angra and Rhapsody really are the cream of the crop - unless you count Queensryche and Joe Satch clones as innovators.

eh, I do not like Mandrake. Or any Edguy I've heard. Angra either, although they are much better now without the human dog whistle singing for them. I like Rhapsody, they are brash. But as far as composition, none of these bands are taking chances. At all. Never much liked Queensryche and never much tried Satriani.

But you're right - people are just lining up for miles to see Devin and nobody's thinking that PPUSA will sell out this year due to the majestic presence of Gamma Ray, Angra, Blind Guardian, and Edguy.:D

Let's not fool ourselves... Blind Guardian is the big draw, followed by the ProgPower name itself (didn't 200 premium priced tickets sell out before a single band was announced?)... everything else is just icing.

Tell you what - just for this year, the power fans will take the show over - which you know we will - (hence the power bands being the main attractions and headlining both nights), and you can have Reading Zero play for ten hours non stop next year all to yourself. :):

Never heard RZ.

And I'm sure the place will be heaving when Pain of Salvation take the stage after Blind Guardian!:):

They'd better be thankful, because Pain of Salvation's one of the better bands to come around in quite some time...

Yep - I agree - Iced Earth to headline next year! :D :D :lol:

Oh lordy lordy...

I just thought I would chime in with my 2 cents; on Devin Townsend. I have Ocean Machine, I think the CD is good, I wouldn't say ;it's the most original thing I have ever heard. I swear that the song life sounds like a song by 'Collective Soul" not saying that's bad or anything.I guess you can compare music to "Art". A painting could be a masterpiece to someone; and to others it could just be a fruitbowl sitting on a table, sloppily painted with water-colors. I for example think SYL sounded like any industrial band, and I find "Ocean machine" a good rock record. I personally don't see the genius aspect, but hey Opinions are like Assholes, you know the rest. Now on to another topic I feel like jumping in to.

de¡¤riv¡¤a¡¤tive
Copied or adapted from others: a highly derivative prose style.

I think to a degree you can obviously see Edguy, has plenty of bands they have borrowed from, like Maiden, Helloween, etc. But I think Edguy, take it to another level. Tobias Sammet writes some of the catchiest songs you'll ever hear. Their are plenty of bands who copy off of others and do a shitty job, and make very mediocre music. You can never question Edguys' production quality, musicianship, and ability to write; fast in your face songs, to long Epics, yet never boring the listener. And as far as "Avantasia" goes, I believe this is one of the best CD's I have heard. Everyone fits their characters so well, Kiske sounds great, Rob Rock lives up to his name. Dave Defeis fits his role well, but he is the weakest singer on the whole disc. But, I will admit; I dislike Virgin Steele, House of Atreus *sp*? was a very tedious listen, I think i listened to it once, and sold it. Crappy voice,.and long drawn out boring interludes. Where as "Avantasia" is the quick 60 minutes of music. It's seems like it ends to soon. Anways these are my opinions. If you agree, cool. If you don't agree, cool. I will continue to listen to what I find pleasing, and so will everyone else. Gotta love the ability make your own choices!

@Jim LotFP - I respect your opinions. I guess to echo Edvantasia, we are all entitled to our own opinions. I agree that Edguy and most other power bands aren't necessarily creating cutting edge music but my personal tastes are 'simple' and I like the melodies of Gamma Ray, Heavenly, Freedom Call, Rhapsody and Edguy etc, and I think the music on Avantasia is just awesome. But hey - I still listen to albums like Powerslave and get goosebumps. I guess I like the old school stuff - where Edguy are one of many who just continue the flag waving. Avantasia ranks alongside my all time faves and if there is only one album I am waiting for this year, it's got to be Avantasia II. :headbang:

More than anything though, I found your post to be really hysterical (especially the human dog whistle part)- and I do value your thoughts - my whole purpose in visiting this forum. And because of that, I don't feel too defensive about my tastes because at the end of the day we're all going to PPUSA as a consortium of metal fans, just for different tastes of metal. :)

I'm wondering if any thought has gone into splitting PP into the obvious two divides into separate occasions. With all honesty, I would happily go along to the Power gig and see 10 power bands, and not bother with the Progressive gig with the 10 prog bands. I'm sure most fans (who aren't experimenting for new sounds) might agree....:confused:

I thought Avantasia was one of the more obvious cash-ins of last year. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... I felt embarrassed as a metal fan listening to that album. Defeis was the only saving grace.

Dude - you are easily offended. You should get out more. "You were embarrassed as a metal fan"? Give me a break. :lol:

The only time I look at Metal Rules is when someone forwards me a link of something marvelously dimwitted that they think I'll laugh at. Sometimes I want to respond on their message board to something but the mods there intelligently don't approve my registration.

That is so facetious - come on man, did you wake up on the wrong side of bed or what?

Metal Rules are ok - for their 2001 top ten poll, they included Avantasia, Kreator, Savatage, Edguy, Lost Horizon as examples - all bands that I think deserved to get into that top ten. EvilG is a good guy too - he reponds to e-mails, and happens to like heavy metal for what it is today.

eh, I do not like Mandrake. Or any Edguy I've heard. Angra either, although they are much better now without the human dog whistle singing for them. I like Rhapsody, they are brash. But as far as composition, none of these bands are taking chances.

I think that's fine amongst the fan base that they don't take chances. There is a reason why Iron Maiden are still one of the biggest heavy metal bands in the world. I like the comfort factor in knowing that the next Edguy album will just be a better version of Mandrake or Theatre of Salvation. I don't need experimental Spinal Tap jazz odysseys.

Let's not fool ourselves... Blind Guardian is the big draw, followed by the ProgPower name itself (didn't 200 premium priced tickets sell out before a single band was announced?)... everything else is just icing.

I will never agree with that. I only bought my gold badges after knowing the full line up. And even if I had to get a regular ticket, I would be buying because of Edguy, Gamma Ray, Angra, and BG collectively. You have to remember that Gamma Ray are HUGE too. I bet you most people who show up for the power bands will never have even heard of PoS, and they'll leave feeling very sleepy...*yawn*

They'd better be thankful, because Pain of Salvation's one of the better bands to come around in quite some time...

As long as you have the patience to wait for that next drum beat to come along. Don't make me laugh - PoS following BG will be a joke from a crowd participation point of view and you know they have to be shitting bricks to end up as the closing act.

I'm not sure why Prog fans have to be so derogatory to any other kinds of metal - there's an element of snobbery at play that regards bands like Iced Earth, Gamma Ray etc to be 'beneath' the progressive spectre and easily dismissed therefore - especially ironic when most prog music shouldn't even qualify as a heavy metal sub category IMO. That's not to say it isn't worthwhile, but Flower Kings or Spocks Beard a heavy metal group? Forget that.

I will never agree with that. I only bought my gold badges after knowing the full line up.

You believe what you want, but the fact is that I placed additional 50 Gold Badges for sale after I *sold out* of the original 200 prior to announcing the date nor any band on the roster. You were one of the lucky ones that got one of the last 50. Feel free to give up that Gold Badge privledge next year and see if I don't sell it before I announce the roster.

So while the big names are an obvious part of the draw, the name "ProgPower" does sell tickets regardless of who I put up on that stage.

Now..you two can go back to your slugfest.

Glenn H.

Well, all I can say is that I was one of the 200 that purchased 2 Gold Badges for this event before I was even able to purchase a GB. After experiencing what I did at last year's show, I realized what Glenn was capable of and what Prog Power was all about. It didn't matter what the lineup was since I knew it would be outstanding, and it really can't get much better than what we have! I'm glad that 198 other people have the same faith in Glenn that I do. Fans who are going to this show by the way are not just going for BG. In my opinion, if Threshold were the headliners, I would be there in a second. When do we in the US ever have the opportunity to see bands of this caliber? Never. And here we have a half dozen plus powerhouses from Europe.

And for the guy who is putting down Edguy, give me a break, Tobias Sammet is a musical genius! Edguy could headline this festival with no problem. Actually, so could Gamma Ray, POS, Threshold, etc... The point is that this lineup is better than most European festivals which is just incredible.

Next year: Labyrinth, Freedom Call, Vision Divine, and Nightwish!

I'm not sure why Prog fans have to be so derogatory to any other kinds of metal - there's an element of snobbery at play that regards bands like Iced Earth, Gamma Ray etc to be 'beneath' the progressive spectre and easily dismissed therefore - especially ironic when most prog music shouldn't even qualify as a heavy metal sub category IMO. That's not to say it isn't worthwhile, but Flower Kings or Spocks Beard a heavy metal group? Forget that.

So I hate Flower Kings on CD, but enjoyed their live show. I think Pain of Salvation is perhaps THE most impressive band on this year's roster. I don't like Edguy at all. But I like Gamma Ray and even bought the special box set they released a few months ago when I already had all those albums. Am I a 'prog' fan?

Who ever claimed Flower Kings or Spocks Beard was a heavy metal group? Or that prog was a subset of heavy metal in the first place?

You have to remember that Gamma Ray are HUGE too. I bet you most people who show up for the power bands will never have even heard of PoS, and they'll leave feeling very sleepy...*yawn*

And hold up, I just thought of something. You call prog fans 'snobbish' yet it is the power metal fans that are complaining that there are non-power metal bands on the bill. I haven't seen a single prog/progmetal fan complaining about the presence of power metal bands on the bill. Yet Devin Townsend doesn't belong, Pain of Salvation is some no-name band people won't have heard of and will be bored by? Did I miss something over on the wrong side of bed I woke up on?

All I want to say is.....

GLORY OF ROMEEEEEEEEEEE! GLORIOUSSSSSS HOME!

I loved Avantasia :) I, by coincidence, was listening to it today! (Thansk JimBob!). One of my favorite albums last year actually. Can't wait for part 2!

Avantasia is simply the dogs bollox album, the musicianship and the amazing production and it's immersive storyline just makes it a fantastic album.

I say next year, turn this into a 4 day event and accomodate all the great musical tastes going. Man that would simply be absolutely awesome.

I must have been living in a hole during the 90's because I 'somehow' missed out on all this great music by BG, Gamma Ray, Angra etc which I am now aggressively making up for. We all know this is gonna be a great concert, and maybe next year Glenn may have a 4 day concert!!

Maybe have bands Soilwork, Dream Theatre, Everygrey, Iced Earth, Opeth, Stratovarios as well as the big bands this year, and all the other bands that have been mentioned on this thread? Man, that could be a killer concert and I would come. (Infact I am flying over from Thailand just for PP3 !!).

For me, Iron Maiden (in their glory days) were just fantastic and for me to start hearing Edguy, they are the Maiden of today and there music is so addictive. Tears of a Mandrake is just that heaving music I want to listen to.

I heard Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos and I have to say that album simply knocks the socks off anything Devin has done, and the funny thing is was produced by Devin !!

Maybe during the 4 day concert, Devin could come along and tune the guitars for the real greats !! :lol:

Originally posted by MetalAges
All I want to say is.....

GLORY OF ROMEEEEEEEEEEE! GLORIOUSSSSSS HOME!

I loved Avantasia :) I, by coincidence, was listening to it today! (Thansk JimBob!). One of my favorite albums last year actually. Can't wait for part 2!

:headbang:

SEVEN EYES TO BE BLIND FOREVER IN TIME...SIGN OF THE CROSS!!

Fucking awesome - Avantasia is one of the best albums I have ever heard - right up there with Master of Puppets, Diary of a Madman, and Rust in Piece. It is exactly what I want to hear in a metal album.

And Edguy will rule PPUSA. The Pharoah alone could be one of the best 'epic' metal songs - alongside Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

I vote Kai Hansen for president!

You have been the chosen one,
so welcome to this place.
Vandroiy's told us you would come
to help us win the race.
Bring back the seal from the men
who don't know what they do.

Incredible - Avantaisa leaves me speechless...

@MetalAges - any chance of getting Avantasia II in early? - I'll give you whatever price you ask for. :D

Originally posted by Metal_Thailand

I heard Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos and I have to say that album simply knocks the socks off anything Devin has done, and the funny thing is was produced by Devin !!

:lol: :lol: NMC is the most generic album I have heard in a while. These guys don't hold a candle to Devin.

Originally posted by Harvester

You believe what you want, but the fact is that I placed additional 50 Gold Badges for sale after I *sold out* of the original 200 prior to announcing the date nor any band on the roster. You were one of the lucky ones that got one of the last 50. Feel free to give up that Gold Badge privledge next year and see if I don't sell it before I announce the roster.

So while the big names are an obvious part of the draw, the name "ProgPower" does sell tickets regardless of who I put up on that stage.

Now..you two can go back to your slugfest.

Glenn H.

The slug fests make for interesting reading don't you think? :lol:

Glenn - Indeed I feel very lucky to have a ticket due to the roster line up - whether it be a gold badge or otherwise - especially since everyone gets carte blanche on where they sit or stand at the end of the day. Good for everyone.

Of course you'll sell out this year - and next year - and the year after - but surely even you must admit that the Prog Power name has been further enhanced due to the amazing Power line up you have this year (Gamma Ray, Edguy, Angra, and BG all on the same bill is unheard of in the USA or Europe).

And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that add to the reason why you're now selling out arenas holding 1000 fans instead of 200 - and that you have people willing to come in from Japan, Thailand and the UK? I think that is a testament to your concert planning.

I can't imagine how you're going to top this line up for next year - and I await anxiously for any hints you may want to offer. :D

Originally posted by nightwish58

And for the guy who is putting down Edguy, give me a break, Tobias Sammet is a musical genius! Edguy could headline this festival with no problem. Actually, so could Gamma Ray, POS, Threshold, etc... The point is that this lineup is better than most European festivals which is just incredible.

Next year: Labyrinth, Freedom Call, Vision Divine, and Nightwish!

Edguy can always come back next year and headline. Seems like they are ready to take the world by storm. :)

I'm glad you started this thread. Notice how it has approx 60 responses (so far) compared to the 1 or 2 responses the other threads get.

I'm actually quite amazed that Prog and Power fans don't use this forum more - whether it be for arguing over the validity of Devin Townsend as a musician or whatever else. :lol:

And hold up, I just thought of something. You call prog fans 'snobbish' yet it is the power metal fans that are complaining that there are non-power metal bands on the bill. I haven't seen a single prog/progmetal fan complaining about the presence of power metal bands on the bill. Yet Devin Townsend doesn't belong, Pain of Salvation is some no-name band people won't have heard of and will be bored by? Did I miss something over on the wrong side of bed I woke up on?

Good point. I think Blind Guardian and Angra are two of the best bands on the bill.

I have to say that PP3 is a very unusual event because you would not see this anywhere on the European circuit !!

To see Angra, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Edguy and all the other bands just shows what an awesome concert this is gonna be.

There are a shit load of Power Metal fans out there (you only need to read this forum) and I just cannot wait to see the bands.

I really believe that after this concert, Glenn will be holding concerts that last 3 - 4 days, because of the music that is out there, and the fact that people on this forum want to see particular bands, and why not?

I would love to see Everygrey, Soilwork and also DreamTheatre and a shit load of other bands I have mentioned in an earlier post, because their music is just fantastic.

I saw Queensryche in London (Empire Tour) and I thought they were just incredible, can you imagine getting a shit load of bands like this together...That would need a whole evening in itself and I bet they could do with the publicity and integrity of a concert like PP.

Lets face facts, metal music (no matter the tastes) is here to stay and will be here for a long time even after we disappear off the planet.

Long Live the Music