Edguy at Jaxx(Setlist Spoiler)

panzermastery

May 10, 2005
Went to show at Jaxx last nite. My first time finally seeing them and it was excellent even though could have been a little longer. I think the show lasted about 1 hr 20 minutes or somewhere in general area. What show have any of us went to and not wanted the show to last longer. Met all the guys in Edguy which was great moment. Excellent show just wish it had been longer!
Setlist:
Catch of the Century
Sacrifice
Babylon
Lavatory Love Machine
Tears of a Mandrake
Vain Glory Opera
Drum Solo
Superheroes
Save Me
Fallen Angels

Encores
Avantasia
King of Fools

Setlist from PP USA V:

Under the Moon
Navigator
Lavatory Love Machine
Land of the Miracle
Chalice of Agony
Key to my Fate
Vain Glory Opera
drum solo
Fallen Angels
The Piper Never Dies
King of Fools

encore:

Avantasia (with Rob Rock)
Wake up the King (with Timo Kotipelto)
Out of Control

It was indeed a pretty awesome show last night. I missed the local opener (got off work late and had to rush to the show), but did get to catch Echoes of Eternity (Amazing! And a really nice group of people) and Light This City (Not really my style, but still put on an entertaining show). Into Eternity was fucking phenomenal! Probably one of the best shows I've seen them play, and I've seen them about 10 times now. Stu always cracks me up, but when he described them as "bringing you a fucked up blend of metal" the whole crowd was laughing. :lol:

I felt kindda bad for Edguy though. It was technically their first night of the tour (since they had to cancel their first show in CT due to the airline loosing their luggage/equipment ... which they even apologized for at the beginning of the show last night). It sounded like they were still getting back into the swing of playing live. Toby seemed to hold back on a lot of notes he usually holds out longer and the overall sound quality was pretty muddy. (The muddiness could be more of a mixing issue at the board than the band's fault. I'm not really sure.)

These guys always put on a great show and they (and the crowd) were obviously having a great time, but out of the 3 or 4 times I've seen them, I'd have to rank this one as my least favorite and their weakest performance. (I'm not saying they were bad, only that in comparison to the other times I'd seen them, this time was not as good.) Their set did seem pretty short and I was personally hoping for one or two more tunes off of Vainglory or Hellfire Club, but that's just personal preferences. I still enjoyed the show and hope to see them again. I know they are supposed to have a new album coming out at some point soon and Toby seemed to imply with a mention of their US musician work visas that they will be touring the US a good deal over the next year. :headbang:

I think most would agree that Edguy's setlist (and performance) at PP3 was the best they've seen for Edguy. I don't remember the setlist, other than it was in the key of awesome. I think their new setlist is pretty disappointing, but I don't really care for Rocket Ride (sadly). I felt the best song on the new album was "Matrix".

Setlist from PP III:

Fallen Angels
Tears of a Mandrake
Babylon
Vain Glory Opera
Land of a Miracle
Headless Game
Painting on the Wall
Save Us Now
Avantasia
Out of Control

Setlist from PP USA V:

Under the Moon
Navigator
Lavatory Love Machine
Land of the Miracle
Chalice of Agony
Key to my Fate
Vain Glory Opera
drum solo
Fallen Angels
The Piper Never Dies
King of Fools

encore:

Avantasia (with Rob Rock)
Wake up the King (with Timo Kotipelto)
Out of Control

that was an AWESOME set list and show!!!

I personally think Wake Up The King, Key To My Fate, and Wings of a Dream should be played every night. I can't stand Rocket Ride and Hellfire Club was pretty mediocre, but it seems those two albums are the ones that have really gained the band popularity.

These guys always put on a great show and they (and the crowd) were obviously having a great time, but out of the 3 or 4 times I've seen them, I'd have to rank this one as my least favorite and their weakest performance. (I'm not saying they were bad, only that in comparison to the other times I'd seen them, this time was not as good.) Their set did seem pretty short and I was personally hoping for one or two more tunes off of Vainglory or Hellfire Club, but that's just personal preferences. I still enjoyed the show and hope to see them again. I know they are supposed to have a new album coming out at some point soon and Toby seemed to imply with a mention of their US musician work visas that they will be touring the US a good deal over the next year. :headbang:

Well, if the other times were all at ProgPower, it is understandable why this didn't live up, because I think a band like Edguy is best with a large crowd. Tobias is still one of the best frontmen out there and he knows how to work a crowd, even one as small as this one.

I could have sworn they played Mysteria at some point in the evening. Maybe it was my groggyness that made me think so. I also agree that the concert seemed a little short. I also think they should have opened with Sacrifice. And, it sounds like from Tobias' statement that they might be back next year.

Also, what an odd grouping of bands touring with them. A bunch of thrash and hard core bands. Echoes Of Eternity was the only band that really came close to matching up with what Edguy was doing. I ended up spending most of my time in the lobby.

It was nice meeting you and your boyfriend, Bobbie. It is always nice to put a face to a name.

Jason

I thought they were OK, although I have similar set list issues. Toby was *definitely* not hitting a lot of the notes, though.

Unfortunately, I missed IE, who I really wanted to see. I did get to have a nice chat with Troy, though. It was good seeing everyone, though.

Well, if the other times were all at ProgPower, it is understandable why this didn't live up, because I think a band like Edguy is best with a large crowd.
One was at PPV, the others were all at Jaxx.
Also, what an odd grouping of bands touring with them. A bunch of thrash and hard core bands. Echoes Of Eternity was the only band that really came close to matching up with what Edguy was doing.
I agree that Echoes was probably the best match. I know that Light This City was tossed on at the last minute (in the last month or so) by the label (all the bands last night are on Century Media/Nuclear Blast as far as I know) because the band that was previously in their spot on the bill (can't remember who right now) had to cancel. Into Eternity, however, is not a hardcore band at all, but a band that mixes melodic death metal, black metal, and power metal elements - "a fucked up blend of metal" :kickass: but still metal, not hardcore. I actually found them to be a really good fit, but maybe that's because they were the first band on Friday at PPV - the same year Edguy headlined. :headbang:
It was nice meeting you and your boyfriend, Bobbie. It is always nice to put a face to a name.
Nice to meet you too! :D Hopefully Nick and I'll be able to catch you at another show where you are not so tired. :)

the drum solo was not bad at all he did this weird thing where he drummed to the "imperial march" thing from the Star Wars movies. Much rather heard another song but it wasnt as bad as most.