Electronic music

Just picked up Single Unit~Family of Forces CD, um... good cleaning music.
My roommates I lived with overplayed Joy Division so I stay away. I do enjoy electronics in music if done right.
I think too many bands that are electronic are very boring and over rated. ex. Sister of Mercy, Nitzer Eb, Spice Girls, Rap crap... etc. etc. and then there are other one hit wonders that have a few interesting songs like Siouxie and the Banshies, Duran Duran, blablabla... but between ok songs I get bored.
I do however enjoy Bjork, Antimatter, Ulver, Trial of the Bow, Flux(at times), The 3rd and the Mortal, Nine Inch Nails(on occasion) etc.etc.etc.
Playing dark synth with heavy intentions is quite fanciful though.

Edit-Duran Duran sucks! Where did that come from? Yuk.

Originally posted by Tyr
And I hate Rammstein....

Glad to hear others feel this way!

Straight techno, dance, trance, etc.... (the list seems endless) also isn't my cup.

I love what Buckethead does mixing electronic music with his insane guitar skills (and his general insanity :) ). I also like some of Amorphis' forays into the electronic realm. Ephel Duath is pretty cool I guess. I also like some of the jazzier drum and bass. The head resident in my dorm plays it a lot, so I sometimes go hang out with him just to listen.

Congratulation dimensionidol, you did the 6666th post on this forum ;)

Borkieforum.jpg

Well, since my idea of what is electronica and what isn't is a bit shaky, I'll just mention a few groups that I like and who sound
like they use electronic music;) (I'm forced to listen to this stuff anyway, since I'm the only one into metal in my group of
friends:rolleyes: )
E-Type
Prodigy (some of their stuff)
Enya
Drängarna

I need to be in the right mood to listen to electronica too... mostly electro-industrial stuff like Funker Vogt, Suicide Commando, Wumpscut, Velvet Acid Christ... also enjoy the mellow and ambient stuff by Ulver and Aphex Twin.

And hanging around goth/industrial clubs for too long has made me realise that Mortiis' new album ain't that bad compared to a lot of the darkwave shit out there. :p And I can't stand that poppy EBM crap like VNV Nation and Apoptygma Berzerk.

As for combining electronic elements with metal, I reckon Arcturus got it perfect on The Sham Mirrors. :)

Fleischwolf said:
i also like kraftwerk or wolfsheim! new wave stuff is really great!

Funny to see wolfsheim mentioned here - but it's great synthpop just the same.
Personally, I like industrial and ebm quite a lot. I am a fan of vnv nation, wumpscut, converter, covenant, apoptygma berzerk, and das ich among others.
My boyfriend is a techno artist, so I have to listen to his music all the time. But he puts up with my metal, so I can't complain.
~qat
NP: kraftwerk - pocket calculator (ha!)

if its electronic, it sucks.
:headbang: i agree totaly! i onley lissen to tr00 metal an theres no elextronik shit there, juist tr00 instraments liek guitar and bass. :err:

Try being a little more openminded. That way you can discover so much great music. But I digress. I`m glad to see that so many here like electronic music. Myself, I`m into Squarepusher(some of the sickest beats and bass playing you will ever hear in IDM), Aphex Twin and Autechre. I also like Arcturus(Sverd is really cool).

What`s Ulvers ambient albums like? I`ve been thinking about purchasing them.

Harp Heaven said:
:headbang: i agree totaly! i onley lissen to tr00 metal an theres no elextronik shit there, juist tr00 instraments liek guitar and bass. :err:

Try being a little more openminded. That way you can discover so much great music. But I digress. I`m glad to see that so many here like electronic music. Myself, I`m into Squarepusher(some of the sickest beats and bass playing you will ever hear in IDM), Aphex Twin and Autechre. I also like Arcturus(Sverd is really cool).

What`s Ulvers ambient albums like? I`ve been thinking about purchasing them.

From www.ssmt-reviews.com:

This here Ulver band started out playing black metal? Perdition City, easily one of the most amazing psychedelic albums I've ever encountered, is an absolutely incredible album, utterly devoid of any tinge of black metal, from start to finish. The live instrumentation - lead guitar, bass guitar, saxophone, drums - and clear vocals provide a lush, organic feel, somewhat akin to the reassuring sounds of the genre known as smooth jazz, while those very sounds are processed and tweaked in the studio to great effect and combined with touches of keyboards to create a groovy, edgy, often eerie, sometimes even downright disturbing, but always otherworldly atmosphere. Each instrument is clearly audible and separable from the others, particulary on a good stereo - upon which Perdition City absolutely must be played for full effect. Random noises and sheets of sound come and go from odd angles in the background as the music swirls and shifts constantly. Soft, repetitive sections bring on dreamy trances, which suddenly collapse into extreme, eye-popping wakefulness as the music crashes into pulsating waves, leaving the listener's heart racing with the beat. These unpredictable, drifting song structures make Perdition City an difficult album upon which to concentrate intently but ideal for taking a mental excursion and drifting along, idly tripping on whatever catches your fancy. Highly highly recommended.

No way. Can't stand that crap. And don't tell me to be open minded for that. From xtc-filled techno to ridiculous german electro goth, it's directly the trash.