Festival Date is...

My meaningless two cents....I stayed at the Residence Inn both times I've been to PP,and I cant imagine staying anywhere else...breakfast buffet,the whole stove/microwave fridge in room thing ,a grocery just a mile down the road...only one drawback,No Prog parties anywhere to be found.I dont even know if I/m going this year,but I booked my room already and have already called for a confirmation from the actual hotel,which I will certainly do every month until Sept since 2 years ago...we arrived late (all hail the tornado plane landing)...arrived with two dudes that sponsered Into Eternity(Are either of you guys appearing in our beloved forum?)...we let them check in first...bang...the last regular room was just given away even though I had booked in March. Long story short...Residence Inn put us up in the only room they had available...a two bedroom suite with full kitchen and living room...for the quoted price of $79 a night!!!Sweet!!!!

Unca Kev said:
We can't let the Granada have all the fun!

Ok, let's all chip in and hire a shuttle bus to tour all the hotels in the Earthlink radius. That way nobody steps on homeless musicians (tee hee) or dead rats left over from hurrican season, etc. The shuttle could run continuously, so we could all feel like we were all in the same hotel (ha ha).

I like to dream big...

Sheeit... if I drive again this year.. which I cannot ever imagine flying down there cuz the drive is filled with METAL.... I'd gladly help to chauffeur any crazy party animals after any of the nights. As long as I have seats available or I can make a double run and come back for a second load, I'd help out if possible. Roger's getting our rooms far closer this year than over at the Holiday Inn (horror story from last year's Herpes-Medication-Room... ugh!) and a quick three or four block romp would be totally cool by me. Most everyone here is staying relatively close, and after all the cruising around from the last four years, I know the streets pretty well. Plus... I used Mapquest to print out a HUGE map and Scotch-taped it all together so I can unroll it and check anything. I'll even put stars on it this time for all the restaurants and bars and hotels like one dude compiled last year (That list was FUCKING AWESOME and totally LIFE-SAVING! \m/ ) and I'll be able to find anywhere anyone needs to be dragged back to.

Hmm... I should get some checkers painted on my truck... anyone got a Cabby hat to sell to me? LOL

Meteornotes said:
And here's one of many Dave's Tips For Surviving ProgPower: If you're staying at the RI, head over to Subway before the show and get a sub, then put it in the fridge in your room. That way, whenever you stumble back to your room at whatever ungodly hour, you'll have something to eat and won't have to search around for an open food place, which is pretty damn rare in that part of Atlanta that time of night.

Yippee and I actually do this for eating during the show. The service at the Vinyl is just too darned slow. We pop back to the room between sets, dump our haulage and scarf our sandwiches then back we go.

Meteornotes said:
(Madison Grill - THEY HAVE GUINNESS!)

Cheer !!!! Always good to know close Guinness locations :) I miss the guinness at PP:( Maria could even pour a pretty mean black and tan without the spoon.

Most certainly will stay at the Residence since my pal Wheezer booked there. Sharing room is a great way to cut down expenses.

Hope everything will do fine it's my first PP and I'm damn eager to finally assist.

NP: Helloween - 'Sun 4 The World'

booB said:
(I am also trying to convince the husband that he should come down for Wednesday and Thursday - while not the show, he might as well see the friends!)

...plus, he would get to see all the crappy singers at the karaoke party, as well as the good ones at the pre-party... :)

that just sucks. is it possible that ProgPower weekend was the only good weekend where "everyone else" could make the wedding, and they were just trying to appease the greatest number of people?

It's probable it was the weekend the place they wanted to have it was available. You have to understand this is ALL foreign to me. I didn't have a place that I HAD to have the reception at. My heart wasn't set anywhere on anything but I'm very pragmatic like that (unlike, say, MY brother's wife who was a bride-monster).

It's still frustrating when we say "hey, we know we're going to be busy that weekend" (crossing our fingers behind our backs as we say it, because clearly we all found out NOW) "can you try to avoid it?"

.... and I'm not sure the karaoke wouldn't keep him away. ;)

Jeeeez,Jan,and already I think I have to send out teh call outs for roomates for this thing
I'm Partial to the Hampton(China Buddah within walking distance and the outdoor pool)

Please, no one get pissed at me as this is only my opinion and if I'm too brash, get over it. I cannot, for the life of me, see why after staying at The Hampton Inn last year that anyone, I repeat ANYONE would stay at the piece of shit called The Best Western Granada Suites Hotel. And instead of a usual rants I will honor my judgement by stating many many facts. First and foremost the Granada gouges you for the price of the rooms significantly. Not just this year and last year!, but every year I can remember since PP 3. Second, other than the breakfast buffett (which The Hampton Inn has a much better one!) the Granada has no amenities. The Hampton Inn has an outdoor pool, a Subway Restaurant at the base of the building, a Thai restaurant at the base of the building, a 24 Chinese Buddha 1/2 block up the street, a gas station across the street for beer, pop, and snacks, and a CVS pharmacy up the street. The Granada has a cafe (next to where the gyros place was) that closes before the 3rd band goes off the stage. The best thing that ever happened to me was not getting the Therion date leak last year in time and losing the Granada room. And plus and the reason that I write this post, if I can walk two extra blocks on the weekend after having kidney dialysis for four hours anyone can and shouldn't be bitching and moaning I really don't want to hear anyone complain about staying "too far". I have no problem walking even though it sucks for me. Things could be worse, you could be in my shoes, so keep that in mind! And I love my life . I DON'T COMPLAIN!!!! If I did Linda would fly to Chicago and stick a guardrail up my ass to lick on!

Pellaz said:
Next to the Granada, it's also the second-closest hotel to Earthlink Live. I stayed there for the first time last year (after we finally got to stay there, and not 3 miles north), and was pleasantly surprised by the shortness of the walk. The Fairfield, may it rest in peace, was a bit further away.

Brilliant advice, there.

Well, not if you hang out with someone who knows the area and has a vehicle. Preferably a larger one than mine. :)

There are several 24-hour choices within an easy drive -- City Cafe Chinese Buddha, R. Thomas, Steak and Shake, Waffle House, City Cafe again (the better location is now north of the venue)....and there's one 24-hour choice (Chinese Buddha) within walking distance if you're at one of the hotels on 14th Street.

I should rent a van during this shindig. :D

Don't forget hitting up the Taco Cabana

As far as Residence room parties, I bet there will be plenty to pop up. Granada will always be party central for PP. Sure it's not as nice as some of the others in the area, but it's the fact that it's a block away from the venue and the history of it being PP Party Central that gets people to keep coming back to it. Now if only Fairfield were still open.. (may it rest in peace *sniff*)

I stayed at the Hampton last year, and the service was excellent. I only wish that they had a fridge in the rooms. I might try to go with the Residence this year, but I'll more likely end up at the Hampton again. It's all about walking over to Chinese Buddha at 3 A.M. to see the picture of "Ick Jagger." Though I do believe it's abso-friggin'-lutely ridiculous of the hotels to raise their prices even more (for those who attended ProgPower II, weren't those prices a steal compared to this?), it's not stopping me from attending the concert event of the year. Also, thanks for the heads up on the metal karaoke, Glenn. Now that I know it's on for this year, I'm going to have to arrange an early arrival.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Where is this Chinese Buddah joint? I usually stay at the Hampton (ok, always stay at the Hampton) and haven't ever seen this place. Being that there's a four-hour time difference between Alaska and Atlanta, it only feels like 10pm when the concert is over to me.

Kevin

The_Q said:
...anyone, I repeat ANYONE would stay at the piece of shit called The Best Western Granada Suites Hotel.

I dunno, maybe because it IS closer to the venue if you have to run back & get film, food (if you have a fridge or a cooler) or drop off some merch, or go pound a couple quick beers and whatnot. It also is THE party place, so far...

The_Q said:
First and foremost the Granada gouges you for the price of the rooms significantly. Not just this year and last year!, but every year I can remember since PP 3.

My rates aren't THAT much higher than they were earlier, and this year, it seems EVERYONE is gouging. Try to book an extra day at the Residence and see if YOU get the 3 night package deal price with it, without making 2 seperate reservations. That has disaster written ALL over it... I hope I'm wrong, I may be staying there... Face it, the hotels in the general area know that they have a majority of the people locked into that area, and during the prog power weekend, they pretty much know they will be booked solid. We all are pretty much at their mercy.....I'll wager tha Hampton follows suit by the end of this year.....

The_Q said:
he Granada has no amenities. The Hampton Inn has an outdoor pool, a Subway Restaurant at the base of the building, a Thai restaurant at the base of the building, a 24 Chinese Buddha 1/2 block up the street, a gas station across the street for beer, pop, and snacks, and a CVS pharmacy up the street.

Hey, I got an ICE bucket last year! Sod Off! Seriously, if you don't get a kitchenette room, it does kinda suck, no fridge, no stove, just an ice bucket.
As for the Hampton, I really don't see me lounging poolside during the fest. Not that I wouldn't be tempted to take a dip, it's just not a huge draw for me. There's a Subway close to the Residence, which is close to the Granada.
I do NOT like Chinese, or Thai food so that doesn't draw me in either. I make 1-2 beer runs to that Shell (iirc) station for beer, and usually 1 run to CVS for munchies for the weekend. I run back to the room at least 2-3 times per night during the fest, so no swaying me to the Hampton based on your selling points....

The_Q said:
And plus and the reason that I write this post, if I can walk two extra blocks on the weekend after having kidney dialysis for four hours anyone can and shouldn't be bitching and moaning I really don't want to hear anyone complain about staying "too far". I have no problem walking even though it sucks for me. Things could be worse, you could be in my shoes, so keep that in mind! And I love my life . I DON'T COMPLAIN!!!! If I did Linda would fly to Chicago and stick a guardrail up my ass to lick on!

As I mentioned at the beginning, it's not the distance, it's the frequency.
Even if you didn't complain, I'd be more than happy to rough up the edges on that guardrail with a grinder for ya, before insertion. You want natural rust or galvanized? Just let me know.

And btw, I understand you aren't going this year, so wtf are you bitching about ANYWAY???? Wait till next year when your beloved Hampton gets in line with the prices other venues are charging. I'll bring the cheese, because I know you're going to whine! :Spin: You sound quite like a bitter old man.
You have WAY too much competiton in THAT catagory!:D

J-Fuckin'-Dubya

booB said:
Sean, I agree with you completely about the Granada... I'm not planning on ever staying there again.

I should preface my previous post by saying a couple things.

1) I've known Q for a while, and this is typical of our banter.....
(Stop with the hate mail! lol)

2) I'm holding a reservation at both RI & BW until I figure out if I'm solo this year, or rooming with anyone...My roomie might be deserting me this year,
something about mixing eggs with baby gravy or something along those lines. :D Cheaper rules out if I'm solo.....

3) We came REAL close to getting screwed out of our room last year, even after making reservations in January, and calling monthly to confirm and then weekly a month before the fest. I have been staying there since PPII. RI is untreaded waters....

J-Dubya