Flying to Atlanta

Now that oil has dropped below $100 a barrel, it might be a good time to watch the prices drop and pull the trigger and buy when they've seemed to hit bottom.
I seriously doubt ticet prices will drop, they never have been associted with oil price drops, just oil price increases, and most some airlines hedge(speculate) on oil prices. So if anything they will go up before they go down, you may find some deals but not like the way they used to be.

I'm checking possible one-way flights from Las Vegas to Atlanta and I get a good price from Frontier Airlines. Never ever heard of them before today. Anyone knows them? Is it a good airline?

Frontier is an awesome airline, based out of Denver, they are a semi major carrier. Service is great, planes are all newer than other airlines, and they are almost always on time. I flew them to ProgPower from El Paso twice, and when my son lived in Seattle that was the only airline we flew when we visited.

Frontier is an awesome airline, based out of Denver, they are a semi major carrier. Service is great, planes are all newer than other airlines, and they are almost always on time. I flew them to ProgPower from El Paso twice, and when my son lived in Seattle that was the only airline we flew when we visited.

Cool, thanks for the info!

Fly out of Omaha, and pay the $35. It's worth it.

All things considered, transportation to/from festival including flights (thank God it's Atlanta) is really not that expensive. Within Atlanta, the Marta is your best choice (the city tram/subway system). Cheap too.

Where are you staying?

Not sure yet where I'm staying. I'm still doing research and reading reviews. I'm thinking possibly the Georgia Terrace Hotel, or maybe something like Residence Inn because I have a rewards account with Marriot Hotels.

I did see that the prices dropped about $40 out of Omaha to $327, but that includes a stop in Dallas, so I'm still probably just going to spend the extra money on a direct flight.

Decided to do some searching on Expedia to see what prices are like right now. Ugg. $294 from DC is high. Needs to knock about $50 off of that price to be considered reasonable for me.

BTW, anyone else having issues with AirTran's site? I search for flights and it gives me no results in September.

Yeah, I haven't been able to find anything reasonable yet from Cleveland; the cheapest flight is about $150 more than it normally costs me to fly to ProgPower. The good news is, if I wait, it can't go much higher. :p

Hey everyone, I have a travel question.

What is a realistic travel time from the airport to the venue? My wife and I can get two relatively free flights (with air miles), but it would arrive at 7:00 pm on Thursday. We are staying at the Residence in close to the venue. I was wondering if it would be possible to get from the airport (no checked bags) to hotel and to the venue in around 60 minutes? I know it is cutting it close, but this would save us a lot of money. Part of me is hoping that there would be a local band that pushes Kamelot's start time back a little. But what do you think travel time would be either via the train or taxi?

Also I am planning on seeing this tour when is comes to San Diego, so if I miss a little Kamelot, I will be sad, but will get to see them again.

If you take MARTA (the train) yes, you can easily make it to the venue in one hour. MARTA leaves from the airport, and it's about a 20 min ride to the Arts Center station (make sure you do NOT incorrectly get off at the Midtown station). Then, it's about a 3-4 min walk up the hill to the Residence Inn. The most timely issue would probably be checking in to your hotel. (You cannot bring your bags into the venue). I hope this helps!

~Jen

I forgot to add (I'm on my Blackberry), you're f#*ked if you take a cab though from the airport to the venue or Residence Inn. Plus, it would run you at least $40 one way plus tip. MARTA is $2-3 one way. :)

~Jen

If you take MARTA (the train) yes, you can easily make it to the venue in one hour. MARTA leaves from the airport, and it's about a 20 min ride to the Arts Center station (make sure you do NOT incorrectly get off at the Midtown station). Then, it's about a 3-4 min walk up the hill to the Residence Inn. The most timely issue would probably be checking in to your hotel. (You cannot bring your bags into the venue). I hope this helps!

~Jen

Thanks Jen, This does help a lot! Hopefully we can check in and dump our stuff really quick an make in time for the opening notes :)

Then, it's about a 3-4 min walk up the hill to the Residence Inn.

~Jen

I think it's taken me closer to 10 minutes or so to get to the Residence, but maybe I'm just old and slow. :)

Checkin is a gamble. Some years, I've walked right in. Last year, there was quite a holdup, as they had oversold and were turning some people away and sending them to other hotels.

Another consideration is that if it's super hot and humid...and your stuff is heavy...you might want a shower before hitting the venue!

For airfare, kayak is very useful, complete with price drop notifications.

For those on an AMTRAK line, I'd also suggest that, as their ticket prices don't fluctuate too much, and a 12-hr trip (NJ to ATL - $150, though I'm sure there has been an increase since my last trip) isn't as bad as it sounds, when you consider the super comfy seats and huge aisles to walk around in.

And just an add, I checked for Chicago to Atlanta, it's $164, without a sleeping cabin, if you have 37 hours to travel and want to see the lush green cornfields called central Illinois. And $134 from New York (17 hours).

Got our tix yesterday at an awesome price. 2 tix from Detroit to Atlanta on Delta for under $500 total! I read in that article that Tuesdays is the best day to look and it turned out to be true.

Booked yesterday. $256 from Houston. I decided to take Airtran to Atlanta and fly back on Southwest. The prices were the same between the two, not surprising since Southwest owns Airtran. So I decided to split the two for better flying times and nonstop. Leaving at 7:45 in the morning is just too damn early on a Wednesday... unless I have no choice. And I do, so I won't.