Gamma Ray boxed set...

Remastered with new cover art. And a few extra tracks on each album. I guess it's pretty cool if you want the whole collection (par No World Order) and you don't already own any of their CDs.

If you've never heard Gamma Ray though, it could be gamble - you may hate them and end up with six unwanted CDs!! Try getting No World Order first and if you like it, then go for the box set! :D

By the way, if you choose to just get one Gamma Ray album ever, Land of the Free is their magnum opus (IMO). It's a real gem.

If you don't own their stuff already, this is a good value for their first six albums.

The box set comes with a poster that has the lyrics to all the bonus tracks (even the covers!) that the individual CDs don't have.

The booklets that come with the individual CDs are the EXACT SAME as the original releases, typos and all (grrrr) and the individual digipaks are pretty fuckin cheap, so if you already have all their stuff, getting it for the WOW packaging is NOT a good reason...

Originally posted by maestro_al
If you've never heard Gamma Ray though, it could be gamble - you may hate them and end up with six unwanted CDs!! Try getting No World Order first and if you like it, then go for the box set! :D

I think it's a safe buy in any event, because it's a quite easy trade item I'd think...

Get New World Order first? eh... trying a band out by their worst (or second worst...) album is not the best way! :)... (not that it's bad mind you... just... they've done so much more before... the first five albums all have brilliance on them... the next two... have.. pretty goodness...)

No way! :D

Gamma Ray didn't really find the plot until Land of the Free. Everything from then on has been great and pretty equal IMO. The first two albums are probably their weakest.

The only reason why I thought No World Order was a good first choice is because it ISN'T on the box set. That way, if you like it, you can get the box set and complete the collection.

And I did say that if rhavin was to only get one, he should get LOTF.

Whatever :lol: It's always a gamble to buy a boxed set if you have never even heard the goddamn band. :lol:

Originally posted by maestro_al
Gamma Ray didn't really find the plot until Land of the Free. Everything from then on has been great and pretty equal IMO. The first two albums are probably their weakest.

I agree that Land of the Free is their best. BUT...

I was just listening to Heading For Tomorrow yesterday, and it's anything but the typical power metal album, but the melodies and hooks and everything are still so... interesting.

Sigh No More was definitely a stinker.

Insanity and Genius was just that... half great, half muck.

LotF and SOIS are awesome.

Powerplant was... well... good songs but very typical power metal.

And No World Order isn't exactly a groundbreaker either...

When I first heard No World Order I was really disappointed. I thought Gamma Ray had become even more of a Priest clone than they already were - in the same way Primal Fear are (yuk!). Ralph Scheepers is just horrible IMO.

It took several listens, and as with all Gamma Ray CDs, I started to hear bits here and there that I didn't notice the first time round. Certain songs are dissapointing I agree (especially the title track), but some are fantastic. In fact, I think one of the best Gamma Ray songs ever is on NWO: Lake of Tears.

I agree about LOTF being their best EASILY. For ages I considered Rust in Piece to be the quinisential metal album, but LOTF may just have the edge now....in fact, may sell my old one and get the new remastered version. :)